Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Cleopatra, the historic one was a product of (ritualistic) inbreeding from Ptolemic dynasty of Macedonia. No, she was not half black unless you are somehow implying racist stuff like 'black skin is a result of inbreeding'.

Are you implying Greeks and Macedonians were white?

Mauman

Learned
Cleopatra, the historic one was a product of (ritualistic) inbreeding from Ptolemic dynasty of Macedonia. No, she was not half black unless you are somehow implying racist stuff like 'black skin is a result of inbreeding'.

According to (the majority of, some dissent) Anthropologists, they count as Caucasian. :roll:

Take that as you will.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Interesting but as their previous two games have thought us is that they need 6 months of patches to bring it to release state. Also in the trailer I didn't see a single roman phalanx shield wall.. it is like making a Viking game without axes..

Harthwain

Magister

According to (the majority of, some dissent) Anthropologists, they count as Caucasian. :roll:

Take that as you will.
Greeks had "olive skin" (same as the Romans).

Hellion

Arcane
The game is available for pre-order on Steam at a 20% discount until its release date. Always a good sign.

Review keys should start being sent out soon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On GOG as well: https://af.gog.com/game/expeditions_rome?as=1649904300

https://thqnordic.com/article/expeditions-rome-wasnt-built-day-its-ready-january-2022

Expeditions: Rome Wasn't Built In A Day, But It's Ready In January 2022

Vindobona, Noricum / Hafnia, Daniae, Decembris VII., MMXXI: The fate of an empire lies in your hands! On January 20th, 2022 you can become the Legatus of a Roman legion and lead your troops through Greece, Egypt, and Gaul. You'll gain power and influence and your word will carry weight in the political affairs of Rome. Your decisions will change the life of your fellow companions, your soldiers, and even the destiny of whole nations.

This Classic RPG from the creators of the critically acclaimed Expeditions: Vikings will take you on a 50+ hour campaign across Europe and northern Africa. You´ll have to fight intense turn-based battles, level up your alter ego as well as your companions, manage your legion, explore, loot, and craft – in short, everything, you'd expect from a Classic RPG.

Expeditions: Rome is set in an alternative historical setting. Ever heard of Gaius Julius Caesar? He wasn't that important. But you'll meet Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt - if you choose to put her on the throne, that is. And even the famous Roman politician Cicero can become your ally, as well as the ferocious Gallic chieftain Vercingetorix.

Expeditions Rome will launch on January 20th, 2022 on PC at an SRP of $ 44.99 | € 44.99 | £ 36.99.

The new trailer on YouTube: https://youtu.be/JRo5VTmlmKQ
Download all assets: http://n.thq.com/Hv9K30rFV7x
Expeditions: Rome on Steam: https://thqn.net/rome-steam

Last edited:

Mauman

Learned
Greeks had "olive skin" (same as the Romans).

Hence why I said "Caucasian" and not "White".

Go argue the semantics with the anthropologists if you disagree, I was just listing info that could be found within 2 minutes of bothering to look on the internet. :roll:

Last edited:

Readher

Savant
Here's your achievement, bro.
IMG-20211208-223842.jpg

vibehunter

Learned
The game is available for pre-order on Steam at a 20% discount until its release date. Always a good sign.

Review keys should start being sent out soon.

That raises some eyebrows. I was hoping to grab this instead of Vikings since I much prefer the Roman setting but I guess I'll wait and see.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://community.expeditionsseries.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-12-twitch-extension-r19/

DevDiary 12 - Twitch Extension

Ave! Welcome to DevDiary 12, and this one is going to be special. This week, we’ll be discussing how we’ve collaborated with Twitch extension development expert Muxy to build the most ambitious, expansive Twitch extension to ever exist for any game. This has been an effort that has stretched across many years, with collaborations with many different entities, including some streamers themselves. We’re incredibly excited about sharing these details with you!

We’ve spent time with streamers, talking with them about the challenges they have with strategy games. While fun to play, they can be tricky to stream. They are, by nature, more complex, cerebral, and slower than action-oriented titles. By using extensions in daring and new ways, we can both drive more active opportunities for streamers to entertain their audiences as well as reduce the learning curve when audiences tune-in for the first time.

For those who don’t know, a Twitch extension is a piece of interactive software built right into Twitch’s video player. Viewers can interact with the Twitch extension like an app on screen. In the case of the Expeditions: Rome extension, it will provide information about the current state of the game while also providing Twitch viewers with unprecedented options to directly affect the state of the game they are watching.

From in-game controls and notifications crafted to streamline how streamers interact with their audiences to a laundry list of audience interactions, Rome’s extension leverages years of focus testing, experimentation, and research to create an experience laser focused at transforming how Streamers play strategy games forever.

Audiences can directly influence nearly every aspect of gameplay. During Rome’s turn-based combat, audiences can direct AI targets, heal or knock-down both enemy and streamer combatants, re-name units with their TwitchID, set fire to the battlefield, and much much more. Streamers can ask for help or beg for mercy as the audience directly influences how challenging or easy each combat encounter can be at every step of the process.

Streamers can also use a variety of interaction options in the RPG dialog system to start a vote in-game on a dialog choice, allow the audience to control a specific dialog decision, or even turn full control over to their audience for all of their roleplaying decisions, all in real-time. The extension is designed with a number of in-game controls to help streamers modify and curate their interactive experiences with their audience so they can pace their streams around what type of moments they want to create.

Think the next mission will be tough and don’t want the audience to mess with the integrity of the encounter? Go into the in-game options and disable combat behaviors for a time. Have a tough choice about whether you should sentence a potential traitor to death or spare him for later use? Trigger a vote right in the dialog box to see what the audience thinks before moving forward. Audiences can browse through the streamer’s quest log, inspect their unit’s builds and stats, view the combat log, send care packages… you get the idea.

One challenge we had to overcome was how to streamline the way viewers get to leverage the extension. Some of the functionality is by vote, and are free interactions, but some actions are designed to be based on donations to your favorite streamer. With how the Twitch Bit donation process works, it was difficult to tie bit donations directly to actions, as someone could go to heal a combatant, for example, but then never complete the Twitch Bit process and lock out that option for all other viewers indefinitely.

To solve this, we introduced a currency called Denarii in the extension. The relationship between Bits and Denarii is 1:1, so each Bit is worth 1 Denarii; we’re not trying to make anything shady here, just streamline the feature usage so that everyone can have the most fun. Viewers can donate some Bits to their favorite streamer for a pocket full of Denarii in the extension, then use that Denarii to play with some of the crazier features within the extension. This gives viewers a fun way to support their favorite streamers and directly interact with them in the game at the same time! We also give complete control to the streamer to set whatever Denarii values they want for any action, so they can customize the experience however they want to fit their audience size.

On Wednesday this week, we’ll be announcing when the Beta of this extension will be available for you to try for the first time, among many other exciting announcements (and it’s going to be very soon)! A handful of broadcasters will get a sneak peek of Expeditions: Rome and will also be able to test out the extension with their audiences! If you have a favorite streamer you’d love to get involved, feel free to send them to this link to get them on the list:

https://thqn.net/er-krf-dd

We couldn’t be more excited for you to experience this labor of love as we look to revolutionize how strategy games are streamed. Internally, we’re already having so much fun testing the extension, and can’t wait to see how you enjoy it too! We hope you tune in to the THQ Nordic Twitch channel Wednesday, December 15th at 1:00 PM Eastern / 6:00 PM GMT on http://twitch.tv/thqnordic, where Senior Producer Brad Logston will be talking with various people involved in the extension project, as well as make some very exciting new announcements that you won’t want to miss.

Mark your calendars, and until then, Valete!

Codex Year of the Donut
Hate all the pandering devs do for a tiny, miniscule section of the player base. I get why they do it, but it doesn't make me dislike it any less.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
A bit unrelated, but this is a picture of LogicArtists' team taken from their christmas dinner last weekend, don't know why this pic make me like them more...

FGa4l-Pb-WUAILB-R.jpg
....than Obsidian
image.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Audiences can directly influence nearly every aspect of gameplay. During Rome’s turn-based combat, audiences can direct AI targets, heal or knock-down both enemy and streamer combatants, re-name units with their TwitchID, set fire to the battlefield, and much much more. Streamers can ask for help or beg for mercy as the audience directly influences how challenging or easy each combat encounter can be at every step of the process.

Streamers can also use a variety of interaction options in the RPG dialog system to start a vote in-game on a dialog choice, allow the audience to control a specific dialog decision, or even turn full control over to their audience for all of their roleplaying decisions, all in real-time. The extension is designed with a number of in-game controls to help streamers modify and curate their interactive experiences with their audience so they can pace their streams around what type of moments they want to create.

Think the next mission will be tough and don’t want the audience to mess with the integrity of the encounter? Go into the in-game options and disable combat behaviors for a time. Have a tough choice about whether you should sentence a potential traitor to death or spare him for later use? Trigger a vote right in the dialog box to see what the audience thinks before moving forward. Audiences can browse through the streamer’s quest log, inspect their unit’s builds and stats, view the combat log, send care packages… you get the idea.

This shit is moving fast. I thought BG3's "Twitch audiences get to vote for a dialogue option" thing was revolutionary, but this goes way beyond that. Every major RPG from now on is going to do this stuff.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hate all the pandering devs do for a tiny, miniscule section of the player base. I get why they do it, but it doesn't make me dislike it any less.
The effort required to integrate social media is much more manageable than the big lump sum of cash for marketing. You give these social figures the tools to make money off your game, and they'll market it for free.

don't know why this pic make me like them more
Because you gay nigga and hate womyns.

Codex Year of the Donut
The effort required to integrate social media is much more manageable than the big lump sum of cash for marketing. You give these social figures the tools to make money off your game, and they'll market it for free.
Like 5 people are going to stream this game total. It's not some breakout cultural fad, it's an obscure semi-histotical RPG.
I guarantee this is going to end up being completely wasted money.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It might be wasted on this game, but is probably a valuable proof-of-concept for future titles.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Like 5 people are going to stream this game total. It's not some breakout cultural fad, it's an obscure semi-histotical RPG.
But its very targeted. The people who will stream this all have audiences that will play this. Its like advertising on billboards, where 90% of people who see it don't care, and advertising inside another game, for example. You only target potential customers.
I think its worthwhile. And its really not that difficult. The Twitch API is easy to integrate, you just read text commands and parse them into tables and arrays, and show it on the UI.

It might be wasted on this game, but is probably a valuable proof-of-concept for future titles.
Conveniently I have decided to also make my purchase a proof of concept.
You won't buy a game you like... because it has an optional feature you won't use?

Codex Year of the Donut

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom