Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Back 4 Blood - new co-op zombie shooter from Left 4 Dead developer

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Alright I didn't phrase that correctly.
I don't care for the melee and oldey times weapon, modern firearms and tactics would be preferrable.

Good thinking with DRG though. That is a top tier game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Turtle Rock just got Tencent'd.
rating_ccp.png

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211217005008/en/Tencent-Acquires-Turtle-Rock-Studios

Codex Year of the Donut
The UI looks so much worse btw
snapshot.jpg

snapshot.jpg

I played L4D2 a couple times and that's the extent of it so I don't really have much else to add. Not surprised L4D/L4D2 have good animations, Valve seems to always make sure extra effort is put in on animations because it adds so much to believability of characters.

KVVRR

Learned
The UI looks so much worse btw
snapshot.jpg

snapshot.jpg

I played L4D2 a couple times and that's the extent of it so I don't really have much else to add. Not surprised L4D/L4D2 have good animations, Valve seems to always make sure extra effort is put in on animations because it adds so much to believability of characters.
It's not just that they have better animations but that L4D (more so 2) has a gore system for the common infected that is STILL unrivaled to this day. The only thing that comes close in recent memory is Doom Eternal's but even then when you blow away 80% of a Cyberdemon they get all glowy instead of gored so you can't really appreciate it.

And the video only gets into what L4D had to compare it with B4B. It doesn't really tackle B4B's own failures at all (complete disaster in balance, RNG card system that can ruin your run for no reason, extremely boring levels, re-using scratched ideas from L4D that were scratched for good reason, etc). Even on it's own B4B is just not that good.

It's a shame cause I'm one of the few people that genuinely liked Evolve. The main writer from that game not being here really REALLY shows

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The main writer from that game not being here really REALLY shows

They also lost out on having Valve's primo concept artist, Moby Francke, do work for them after they cut ties post-Evolve. Shame too, his ethos as a character designer is second-to-none.
003.jpg
tj-frame-tjframe-art-evolve-markovtechpass.jpg
Stark and simple, doubly so compared to B4B.

ADL

Prophet
Left 4 Dead = soul
Back 4 Blood = soulless
The moment I saw gameplay for this it was clear that Valve and the Source Engine is probably responsible for everything I liked about L4D. If I remember correctly, a lot of Turtle Rock developers remain at Valve and the ones who refused to relocate are responsible for Evolve and this. Imagine turning down a gig with Valve for this lol

Codex Year of the Donut
For those that didn't bother watching the whole video, here's devs that worked on both b4b and l4d
k5ktq05x9d981.jpg

Feels like false advertising to me with how much they repeatedly say "from the creators of left4dead!!!!!!"

Don Peste

Arcane
Thankfully, Left 4 Dead creators Turtle Rock have detailed more of the post-launch plans for their new zombie-smashing shooter, laying out the content roadmap for the next few months and into next year. Before paid expansions start rolling in 2022
back-4-blood-content-roadmap.jpg

When I was young, if I wanted more weapons, more zombies, more maps, more survivors... I just downloaded a bunch of Workshop mods for free.

Codex Year of the Donut
Thankfully, Left 4 Dead creators Turtle Rock have detailed more of the post-launch plans for their new zombie-smashing shooter, laying out the content roadmap for the next few months and into next year. Before paid expansions start rolling in 2022

When I was young, if I wanted more weapons, more zombies, more maps, more survivors... I just downloaded a bunch of Workshop mods for free.
What's the zombie in the middle?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
The main writer from that game not being here really REALLY shows

They also lost out on having Valve's primo concept artist, Moby Francke, do work for them after they cut ties post-Evolve. Shame too, his ethos as a character designer is second-to-none.
003.jpg
tj-frame-tjframe-art-evolve-markovtechpass.jpg
Stark and simple, doubly so compared to B4B.

Accidentally stumbling on this thread lead me to look up B4B's character designs. I cannot believe this passes for acceptable commercial designs these days:

back-4-blood-characters.jpg

Is it a zoomer thing I can't understand?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing about Left 4 Dead is that Valve intended it to be a HORROR shooter. It doesn't matter if you don't find it scary, the atmosphere, the music cues, the design (as pointed out with the flashlights stuck to your gun) and the way special infected behave like surprise buttfucks are there to make it feel intense. B4B is just a generic B-tier shooter featuring zombies, its entire identity stopped at that.

Some dumbfuck gonna say "reeeeeeeeeeee zombies don't fall the same way as L4D, it doesn't affect gameplay" fuck it does. I played 3 rounds of B4B back in beta and I was legit horrified at how fucking SHIT the game played, weapons felt like toy guns, your sprint and reload animations are comically sped up, zombies animations look like plastic toys, there's no impact, feedback, weight or any visceral simulation in that piece of shit. How the fuck can games like Terminator: Resistance, Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2, or even Far Cry 6 have better gun feel than this premium $60 AAA game with a season pass? I can't understand how anyone can find this game plays "well" while I can boot up Call of Duty: World at War in 2008 and had more satisfying zombie shooting experience in that thing, it might not have L4D's physics but at least it does feel like you're shooting proper, powerful guns and not ejaculation devices disguised as firearms.

toughasnails

What's the deal with THAT facial expression btw? I keep seeing it on video game characters but I'm p sure I never saw that expression on a human being irl.

schru

Arcane
Try L4D1 if you have access to it, just to see how it feels compared to the sequel. I think it was better in terms of visual style and presentation, and the weapon viewmodels were more appropriate for playing on a monitor, while those in L4D2 look like they were made for the consoles version. The latter did add various interesting twists to the gameplay, but they feel almost distracting in proportion to the length of the campaigns.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
One thing I have never seen brought up Valve's simpler character designs in performance. Unless there is some technology I am not aware of wouldn't the more grounded and simplistic designs in Left 4 Dead be much better on performance than trying to render what is present in Back 4 Blood?

KVVRR

Learned
One thing I have never seen brought up Valve's simpler character designs in performance. Unless there is some technology I am not aware of wouldn't the more grounded and simplistic designs in Left 4 Dead be much better on performance than trying to render what is present in Back 4 Blood?
Not so much for the survivors/special infected since there are 8 of them at most at any given time (9 if you count the witch), but they do for the horde which the video shows a little bit when they talk about how they used different textures over the same models to make them look different without having to have completely different models for each one.

edit: it's a fucking paragraph how is it too long

Last edited:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
It ain't quite dead yet. Details for the first DLC, coming April 12th, have just been revealed on Steam:

Tunnels of Terror Expansion Coming April 12

Tunnels of Terror will be coming to Fort Hope on April 12th, 2022. Here's a little sneak peek on what to look forward to!

0eb8564f7e85e6d49c3dea4d4a4af9d971b92215.jpg

When Tunnels of Terror arrives on April 12, you can jump into an all-new co-op activity known as Ridden Hives, where you can explore seven different dungeons full of labyrinthine tunnels below the depths of Evansburgh that are infested with a new Ridden type, Warped Ridden. To claim exclusive loot and rewards only offered in Ridden Hives, players must outmaneuver and overcome the daunting new Warped Ridden, including the landmine-setting Urchins, monstrous Shredders, and damage-dealing Rippers. The new Warped Ridden variants are also playable in PvP Swarm mode.

The upcoming expansion introduces two new playable Cleaners – Sharice, an axe wielding firefighter, and Heng, a tough as nails, no-nonsense restaurateur.

Also included in Tunnels of Terror are eight exclusive character skins, seven new legendary weapons, 12 new weapon skins, new cards, and more. The expansion will coincide with the release of the No Hope difficulty setting, a free update adding an extra level of challenge for elite players.

Please note, all playable content included in the Tunnels of Terror expansion will be accessible by all players in a party as long as one player in that party has purchased the expansion.

Additionally, there will be no microtransactions of any kind, cosmetic or otherwise, added to the game as part of this expansion or any future content update.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The upcoming expansion introduces two new playable Cleaners – Sharice, an axe wielding firefighter, and Heng, a tough as nails, no-nonsense restaurateur.
I almost thought this was satire until I looked at the image. Well, at least the developers figured out what was missing in their game: old chinese men and a female firefighter. My only hope is she has sayings like "I'm putting you out." or "I'm on fiyyyyaaa!"

Dexter

Arcane
https://turtlerockstudios.com/news/b4b-2223
Greetings, Cleaners!

What an amazing year 2022 was for us. First off, we wanted to thank all of you for making Back 4 Blood what it is today. With three expansions – Tunnels of Terror, Children of the Worm, and River of Blood – we’ve traveled on a fantastic adventure together beyond the walls of Fort Hope. This phase of our war against the Ridden now comes to a close.

Turtle Rock Studios is actually pretty small for a studio making AAA games. We don’t have quite enough folks to continue working on Back 4 Blood content while we spin up another game – yes, another game! Given this, it’s time for us to put our heads down, get back in the lab, and get to work on the next big thing.

Intrepid Cleaners, this is not a goodbye.

Back 4 Blood will continue to operate, of course. In fact, Back 4 Blood is currently offered on PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium tiers and available as part of Xbox Game Pass. You’ll also still find us hanging out in the subreddit and on Discord, as well as our official Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and website because we love interacting with you and talking about our games.

While we may be a bit quieter in the short-term, we promise that we’ll be Back, bigger, bolder and better than ever!

With much love and gratitude,
Turtle Rock Studios

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom