Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian cultists reviewing BG1/2 - NOW with IWD:EE reviews

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
For abstract games (with different combat screen) turn based is best, but for a game like for example Arcanum RTwP would have been much better than system used and also felt more realistic.
I kind of agree with you, but the only game I can think of that justifies its RTwP combat system is Darklands, since it synergizes pretty well with its realistic approach and simulationist systems. Extremely gamey rulesets like D&D on the other hand can only benefit from proper turn-based combat and a more abstract presentation.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Extremely gamey rulesets like D&D on the other hand can only benefit from proper turn-based combat and a more abstract presentation.

I don't think that D&D is extremely gamey unless we are talking about 4E. Also, GURPS is very "sim like" and it is TB.

Because some people don't give a fuck about the story, the writing, the art style, the music, the fucking itemization, the flow of the game, nothing. All they care about is combat and they want it TB. It's called autism.

Yep. BG3 is inferior to BG2 in

• Writing
  • Companions
  • Quests
  • Story
  • Ruleset
  • Implementation of the ruleset (bg2 even implemented different AC vs different attack types and casting speed, both optional rules)
  • Amount of content
  • (...)
Larian cultists "you only prefer BG1/2 cuz it is RtWP" NO!!! If BG3 was RtWP or BG2 TB, BG2 >>>> BG3. The discussion should be BG3 VS Siege of the Dragonspear, which one is the worst D&D adaptation if we don't take complete bastardizations like neverwinter generic wow clone and sword coast legends.

Gastrick

Cipher
RTwP works pretty well for team isometric games, where the pacing of the battles would slow to a halt otherwise. The only flaw I can see is that it's chaotic. It's still the same DnD 2ed rules being implemented, no sign of being simplified.

Generic-Giant-Spider

and sword coast legends.

You know, Sword Coast Legends may become one of those things that retroactively becomes a good game only because everything else released after was such shit. The Alien 3 effect, I call it.

Wasn't SCL the only game to use 4th Edition too?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wasn't SCL the only game to use 4th Edition too?

SCL is advertised as 5E but has nothing in common with 5E...So far, if the game is not a gear farming, cooldown managing, low lethality chore, I can consider it at least playable. And few years ago, I would NEVER consider Two Worlds 1 a good game, nowadays, I do consider it a good game. Maybe after many years of decline, I will consider Siege of the Dragonspear good, then BG3 then even SCL...

I quit SCL in the first wilderness area with all of the wolves. It was a disgrace. They didn't even butcher a D&D ruleset, they just created an entire new one instead. A horrible and simplistic one at that. Another example of people making a D&D game because they sell, yet thinking nobody actually likes D&D for what it is. Infuriating.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I'm not the first to say it but Belgium has no right being a country.
New-Bitmap-Image-1.jpg

Need I say more.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In therms of D&D adaptations, Strategic simulations Inc > 90s bioware > everything modern. We had DOZENS of amazing D&D games from SSI, from pool of radiance to dark sun : wake of the ravager. Then got some good D&D adaptations from bioware like BG1/2 and in modern days, we only got mobile cashgrabs(warriors of the waterdeep), complete console bastardizations like sword coast legends, and generic wow clones like neverwinter modern mmo. Now maybe DOS3 BG3 will not be as bad as other games and that is it in D&D realms.

"But both pathfinder games?" Yes, they are great. But did you guys saw Pf2e? It adapted into a CRPG would be AWFUL and is a matter of time till Paizo forces owlcat to do that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Strategic simulations Inc > 90s bioware > everything modern.

:bioware:

SSI first, sure.
Bioware second ... No fucking way!

D&D is about combat. RtwP combat is garbage, therefore, Bioware is the bottom of the barrel, only better than PoE and the likes.

HeroïcFantasyGames second, because 2 good games and a modkit.
Troïka third with a great unpolished game and unfortunately no sequel.

Parabalus

Arcane
Extremely gamey rulesets like D&D on the other hand can only benefit from proper turn-based combat and a more abstract presentation.

I don't think that D&D is extremely gamey unless we are talking about 4E. Also, GURPS is very "sim like" and it is TB.

Because some people don't give a fuck about the story, the writing, the art style, the music, the fucking itemization, the flow of the game, nothing. All they care about is combat and they want it TB. It's called autism.

Yep. BG3 is inferior to BG2 in

• Writing
  • Companions
  • Quests
  • Story
  • Ruleset
  • Implementation of the ruleset (bg2 even implemented different AC vs different attack types and casting speed, both optional rules)
  • Amount of content
  • (...)
Larian cultists "you only prefer BG1/2 cuz it is RtWP" NO!!! If BG3 was RtWP or BG2 TB, BG2 >>>> BG3. The discussion should be BG3 VS Siege of the Dragonspear, which one is the worst D&D adaptation if we don't take complete bastardizations like neverwinter generic wow clone and sword coast legends.

SotD is better since it's RTwP.

Reinhardt

Arcane
In therms of D&D adaptations, Strategic simulations Inc > 90s bioware > everything modern. We had DOZENS of amazing D&D games from SSI, from pool of radiance to dark sun : wake of the ravager. Then got some good D&D adaptations from bioware like BG1/2 and in modern days, we only got mobile cashgrabs(warriors of the waterdeep), complete console bastardizations like sword coast legends, and generic wow clones like neverwinter modern mmo. Now maybe DOS3 BG3 will not be as bad as other games and that is it in D&D realms.

"But both pathfinder games?" Yes, they are great. But did you guys saw Pf2e? It adapted into a CRPG would be AWFUL and is a matter of time till Paizo forces owlcat to do that.
Fake ToEE player exposed. Oh, right, lvl 10 is not epuk pew-pew enough for Victor.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fake ToEE player exposed. Oh, right, lvl 10 is not epuk pew-pew enough

The original P&P book was not a high level module, and I played ToEE multiple times, with Co8 and without Co8 who increases the lv cap. Enchantment was by far my most used school in vanilla ToEE which is not "pew-pew". Charm person can save your life in very low levels of the game.

I don't mind 2E or 3E games limiting you to tier 5/6 spells, EotB 1/2, Ravenloft : Stone Prophet and Strahd Posession, both Dark Sun games(5 in shattered and 7 in wake), etc. The problem is 5E games doing that as most iconic mid level spells are TRASH in 5E. Wake of the Ravager is my favorite SSI game and guess what. No tier 8/9 spells in the game. Except a ultra expensive scroll of meteor swarm which you can't learn, only cast once the entire campaign. Martial classes are incredible powerful in the game. A lv 12~15 half giant gladiator with a very large club + some spells buffing him can be quite deadly. My first death in that game was once enemy defilers dominated my ultra buffed half giant gladiator and he killed my main char mage, my fighter/cleric and my fighter/psion in a single round...

SotD is better since it's RTwP. 2E

Fixed for you. SotD is the worst infinity engine "game"(it is not an expansion). But since it is 2E, is automatically better than the best 5E game.

D&D is about combat. RtwP combat is garbage, therefore, Bioware is the bottom of the barrel, only better than PoE and the likes.

Only due RtWP? Are you joking? Even if you dislike this games, the Aurora Engine for NWN1 is amazing and you can find tons of player created modules. The Bhaalspawn saga is the most legendary saga in a CRPG.

BlaineMono

Liturgist
46 hours in a starting dungeon? Jesus Christ
I was 6 years old when I played BG2. I couldn't understand a word of English, couldn't even tell letters of latin alphabet apart. In fact, I was clinically blind, and my hands were made of wood, so I couldn't have interacted with my PC in any way even if I had one - which I didn't, so I had to simulate playing the game by chiseling 0's and 1's on the wall of my cell with my hard 6yo dick, because it was the only thing I could use as a tape for my imaginary Turing machine running a simulation of a PC running BG2

Even then I took me faster than 46 hours to realize BG2 is shit and Larian's D:OS2 is a far superior game

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BG2 is shit and Larian's D:OS2 is a far superior game

DOS 2 is actually worse than D&D 4E. Since not even D&D 4E has that retarded armor mechanic. I only played DOS2 for 6 hours. So far, why the game is bad?
  • Ultra low lethality
  • Cooldowns
  • Ultra slow animations
  • MMO style leveling system
  • Archers that can't hit a freaking elephant 14m away
  • Barrelmancy
  • Awful writing
  • Cartoonish graphics
  • Only lackluster boring spells
  • You get all spells quickly and then they only progress in number. Is not like PF:KM where a low level necromancer can cast Boneshaker, then when he reaches mid level, animate dead, boneshatter, cloudkill, etc and at high levels, finger of death, create undead to create graveknights, and finally in end game, if you play completionist, you can cast wail of the banshee.
  • The worst armor mechanic ever. Armor should or reduce the impact of blows(Gothic 1/2/3 style) or deflect blows(Baldur's Gate and Might & Magic style), armor being a secondary health bar that makes you immune to CC is the worst type of armor ever.
  • Awful Diablo 3 style stat stickie itemization. You don't have interesting items like for eg, a ring which allows you to summon a Djinni in BG2 but if he is killed, the ring is destroyer. All items are merely stat stickie.
So far, DOS2 fells more like "Generic WoW Clone : Turn Based Edition" instead of a proper RPG.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
46 hours in a starting dungeon? Jesus Christ
I was 6 years old when I played BG2. I couldn't understand a word of English, couldn't even tell letters of latin alphabet apart. In fact, I was clinically blind, and my hands were made of wood, so I couldn't have interacted with my PC in any way even if I had one - which I didn't, so I had to simulate playing the game by chiseling 0's and 1's on the wall of my cell with my hard 6yo dick, because it was the only thing I could use as a tape for my imaginary Turing machine running a simulation of a PC running BG2

:excellent:

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Only due RtWP? Are you joking? Even if you dislike this games, the Aurora Engine for NWN1 is amazing and you can find tons of player created modules. The Bhaalspawn saga is the most legendary saga in a CRPG.

I've played swordflight ch 1 & 2, Aielund ch1, another one, kosigan ch1, i think.

Those modules which were described with multiple superlatives are all disappointing at best.
Swordflight 2 is the best of them and it's vaguely interesting at best, Swordflight 1, kosigan 1 and aielund 1 are just average monstrosities, like the retarded village girl the mouth-breathers would use in secret for you know what.

They're unpolished, tedious and with battle encounters ranging from garbage filler to autistic hell (sword spiders falling onto your bard henchwomen in swordflight 1 a dozen of times).

If these are the best, NWN modules aren't even remotely entertaining but i have to admit swordflight 2 would have been good if polished in ToEE engine or KotC 2 one.
Swordflight 1, kosigan 1 and aielund 1, on the other hand, wouldn't be entertaining in any past, present or future game engine.

The NWN modkit was a mistake...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pokemon is TB and it is a kids game, age six and up.... Just sayin'.

Pokemon has more depth than DOS2 or BG3. Just saying. BTW, Swen said that RtWP is ""too chaotic"", he is right. But that is not a problem. I can enjoy RtWP when it leads to a fun and chaotic battlefield and can enjoy a very tactical TB game. Both are good for different reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom