Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin - new Quake engine game from 3D Realms

geno

Savant
About Ion Fury budget:
This is something that I have thought about more than once actually. Well…did you have trouble financing “Ion Fury”? I mean, this being your first commercial game and all?

Richard (Voidpoint):
Yes, definitely–that aspect was pretty difficult.

Most of the people who worked on the game did it for no up-front pay, only the promise of royalties once the game was released, but this arrangement wasn’t possible for everyone.

For example, one of the mappers had to pay the 3d modeler himself and when the game came out I had to pay him back. There were a few times during development where I personally completely ran out of money and couldn’t afford, like, anything.
http://thegg.net/interviews/ion-fur...opment-and-ion-furys-past-present-and-future/
I assume the role of 3D Realms is the logistics: contacts, dealing with stores, marketing, console ports... I'm not saying that was a good deal or that 3DR is doing at good work (it won't hurt if they delayed game announcements for like a year or do a closed beta instead of classic Early Acces). I don't know the first thing about how this business works.

Curratum

Basically, 3DR is just doing promotion and advertising for what are essentially lavish, content-rich Duke3D / Quake mods, and the modders have to work on their own time and money, until the game is released.

Which is also why the games are never releasing. Those people have families and day jobs, etc etc and I personally can't even blame them for not finding the time and motivation to work on their projects. It's not the devs' fault that 3DR decided to put those games on Early Access, suck the money out of naive players (myself included) and then let the cards fall where they may.

Riskbreaker

So that's how it is then. Things do make more sense now alright. And I wrote how 3DR might've made cuts on their finances just a page back, naïve tard that I am. They were paying them nothing to begin with.

Actually not having a release date, let alone selling the game on early access, might've had the benefit of not having that element of external pressure imposed on you. Especially since, you know, this is still a side thing for you that you aren't getting any pay for.
On my side it would've been as with any large, ambitious mod with a sizeable ensemble of contributors: you hope for the best but you know it'll take awful lot of time and in the end might not even materialize.

toughasnails

lavish, content-rich Duke3D / Quake mods
This is hardly fair. If Wrath and Ion Fury are respectively Quake and Duke mods just because of the engines they are running on, then Shadow Warrior, Blood and Redneck Rampage are all Duke 3D mods.
Graven and Cultic aren't even running on anything based off Build or id tech so even that basis for calling them mods is gone.

Gromlintroid

Learned
"Our" most ambitious title since xxx. I hate how neo-3D Realms tries to claim games they didn't make. They're a Danish studio who bought the 3D Realms name and IP's, none of the original developers are involved. And maybe they should be hiring to actually finish their current games. Wrath, Graven, Ion Fury expansion and Kingpin Reloaded are all MIA.

This, 100 times this.
Sick to death of Fresch and all the new people claiming to be 3DR.
3DR died when GBX bought DNF.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Willits is a scumbag who greatly assisted in the disintegration of id at its peak as confirmed by McGee, Petersen and Romero, so it figures he would approach another conman like Schreiber. Anybody who was at places like duke4 around the time he announced Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded about ten years ago knows he can't be trusted, nothing that's been transpiring about the nu-3DRealms has ever come as a surprise.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Willits is a scumbag who greatly assisted in the disintegration of id at its peak as confirmed by McGee, Petersen and Romero, so it figures he would approach another conman like Schreiber. Anybody who was at places like duke4 around the time he announced Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded about ten years ago knows he can't be trusted, nothing that's been transpiring about the nu-3DRealms has ever come as a surprise.

Yeah I remember this interview with Petersen a few months back. He really laid into Willits.

toughasnails

Only thing worse than endorsement from Willits would be one from Pitchford as far as the figures disliked by the boomer shooter community go.

I wonder if their new project is a Duke Nukem game.
That seems most likely at this point. Some people are speculating about Quake or Blood but imo both are extremely unlikely, I can't imagine why'd Bethesda would ever work with them and we would've heard if they acquired Blood IP.
In any case given their track record so far, creating a capable new dev team out of scratch and producing a AAA FPS is way beyond them so I don't expect anything much coming out of this.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even if they actually release something, any current_year attempt at a Duke Nukem game is going to be shit.

toughasnails

I understand why exactly you'd think that but Duke at least since Duke 3D was a send up of 80s, 90s era action heroes. Someone left inclined could probably see it sympathetically as parodying that sort of macho heroic figures and stories.
Decent writer could probably still pull off Duke that rightoids would see as based and leftoids as parody or deconstruction.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I understand why exactly you'd think that but Duke at least since Duke 3D was a send up of 80s, 90s era action heroes. Someone left inclined could probably see it sympathetically as parodying that sort of macho heroic figures and stories.
Decent writer could probably still pull off Duke that rightoids would see as based and leftoids as parody or deconstruction.

I think that was possible 10 years ago. Most leftoid writers believe strongly that portrayal = endorsement these days.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ion Maiden is about as far as it can get. I am playing through older Duke 3D maps these days, and there is no way anything like that could fly today. Maybe as an indie project, but people would still try to pull your funding.

Gromlintroid

Learned
I wonder if their new project is a Duke Nukem game. I just saw a couple tweets where Tim Willits visited their office and later said he's happy that 3D Realms and Duke are now part of Embracer Group. If so it would be their third attempt after Duke Reloaded and Bombshell, which was originally a Duke game.

https://twitter.com/Freschism/status/1484633708699262979
https://twitter.com/TimWillits/status/1487525759623303169

They cant make a Duke game, GBX has the rights to Duke.

toughasnails

He's a big time liberal but I'm surprised to see that video since he once stated it would be inappropriate and unprofessional to use the Duke voice to promote any political agenda. Guess he changed his mind.
That would be sensible bc why would you try to have a parody character act as a mouthpiece for your politics or something in an affirmative manner. Imagine if you heard anything that sounded didactic from Duke in Duke 3D, you would've assumed that it's a send up. If Duke told you "don't do drugs" you wouldn't take it straight but as a parody of heroic characters on TV or in films doing that.

wrath always looked shit imo

generic and unoriginal from day 1

i hope its dead
If only that was actually the case, then nobody would've cared for the way development went...

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom