Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any worthwhile PC games made in China?

AureliusMMXII

Educated
Three Kingdoms: Fate of the Dragon was pretty good.

AOE type RTS with a few new interesting elements. You manage individual cities and then move out on to a separate overworld map to travel to an enemy city. Good siege mechanics with those big fuck off chinese walls. You can fling troops over the walls with weird Da Vinci-esque wing-suits. Have to make sure the pig farmer peasants back home are producing that pork though.

Published by Eidos in 2001 so has good English translation. Expect voice acting quality appropriate to that era.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

AOE type RTS with a few new interesting elements. You manage individual cities and then move out on to a separate overworld map to travel to an enemy city. Good siege mechanics with those big fuck off chinese walls. You can fling troops over the walls with weird Da Vinci-esque wing-suits. Have to make sure the pig farmer peasants back home are producing that pork though.

Published by Eidos in 2001 so has good English translation. Expect voice acting quality appropriate to that era.

Ah yeah I remember this

Sands of Salzaar
shit no.
it's astonishing how it manages to make everything wrong. first of all, its world is extremely tiny, factions are stupidly unbalanced, classes are stupidly unbalanced and on top of this the story is filled with mandatory 1 vs 1, which can be easy as cake or literally impossible depending on your class. "oh well, i'll ignore the story and focus on sandbox mode" no. NO. sandbox is locked, you must finish the story first, whose one of the requirements is such entertaining stuff like "get in good terms with ALL the factions at the same time, which means go and grind like there's no tomorrow for a decade or two".
it seems a good game because it's mount & blade after all, but it gets everything wrong.

Hobknobling

Learned
This scene comes to mind as awkwardly translated:
fEShRlh.jpg

Is that scene a Rashomon reference?

Ninjerk

Arcane
There was a pretty promising looking RPG that I think was being made in China. Prophecy something. I think there's a thread for it around here somewhere.

Codex Year of the Donut
Sands of Salzaar
shit no.
it's astonishing how it manages to make everything wrong. first of all, its world is extremely tiny, factions are stupidly unbalanced, classes are stupidly unbalanced and on top of this the story is filled with mandatory 1 vs 1, which can be easy as cake or literally impossible depending on your class. "oh well, i'll ignore the story and focus on sandbox mode" no. NO. sandbox is locked, you must finish the story first, whose one of the requirements is such entertaining stuff like "get in good terms with ALL the factions at the same time, which means go and grind like there's no tomorrow for a decade or two".
it seems a good game because it's mount & blade after all, but it gets everything wrong.
The problem is that there's so few similar games that it's good by default.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Sands of Salzaar
shit no.

This logic is called "being part of the problem".

Codex Year of the Donut
Sands of Salzaar
shit no.

This logic is called "being part of the problem".
Proof?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
gloria sincia is good if you don't mind paying for a mount and blade: warband total conversion. it has enough content in it to justify the cheap price and a *gasp* coherent singleplayer campaign. the only negative factors in that game are the so-so english translation and the jank (but that's just mount and blade for you)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

This looks like cute fun; especially having your little asian besiegers breach the walls by flying over them in wind suits. Does it play well with Windows 10?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't care what anyone says. I had a great time with Tale of Wuxia: Pre-Sequel. (Not agreat translation, but adds even more to the charm. Political correctness? U wot m8?)

Codex Year of the Donut
I've been curious for a while so maybe some chinkaboos and weebs can explain: what's the reason china(and south korea too I suppose) copied the anime artstyle?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I've been curious for a while so maybe some chinkaboos and weebs can explain: what's the reason china(and south korea too I suppose) copied the anime artstyle?

They didn't have a culture of their own, and Japan was the most accessible one for them.

Kinda like how Italians are drawing all the Donald Duck cartoons those days.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
If I had to make an educated guess, because nothing of value culturally was going on in mainland China or South Korea at that time. South Korea was little better than North Korea at that time (seriously) and mainland China was still isolated at that time. What throws that guess for a loop is that despite not being culturally bankrupt, Taiwan and Hong Kong still copied it too. Probably a shared cultural thing, since they've been cribbing from each other for as long as Europeans have.

Codex Year of the Donut
If I had to make an educated guess, because nothing of value culturally was going on in mainland China or South Korea at that time. South Korea was little better than North Korea at that time (seriously) and mainland China was still isolated at that time. What throws that guess for a loop is that despite not being culturally bankrupt, Taiwan and Hong Kong still copied it too. Probably a shared cultural thing, since they've been cribbing from each other for as long as Europeans have.
There's definitely quite a few styles of western animation though.
French animation tends to be very high quality with a unique style. A lot of cartoons are Canadian in general, way more than most people realize, especially the bad ones. etc.,

Nostaljaded

Savant
YldrE said:
Just like Westerners, they can't tell each others apart.
As per the quote, if it's really so (which I don't think so).

Excluding Path of Wuxia, Heluo Studio's character portraits (to me) are quite representative of Chinese art style within the gaming medium.
Of course being so near (as in the Chinese, Japanese & Koreans), the influences to one another tend to be quite far-reaching.

Below is a late 90s manhua (Chinese comics) based on Jin Yong's Demigods and Semi-Devils, selected from a 30-page single issue/chapter:

fO3ZfAr.jpg
M8NrkIF.jpg

VRtSnOi.jpg

MzTGOE4.jpg
BFnvN7N.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane

One: Japan pioneer this style and despite Westerntards try to disagree, it has a great footprint of its own. A large part of China get affected by this so of course they emulate this style.

Two: Despite others try to say, Anime style is not the only one affect Chinese. There is western influence, specifically US comic style. Unfortunately, this one lose out against Japanese style because it doesnt resonate that much with Chinese.

Three: There is, also contrary to here's belief, Chinese unique style. As presented. That kinda style is not Anime, more like some niche subgroup of anime is affected by it (or vice versa, because dwell into it is longwinded). You can call it wuxia style because the comics utilize that style is almost always in wuxia genre (the rest is in fairy/high magic genre)

fO3ZfAr.jpg
M8NrkIF.jpg

VRtSnOi.jpg

MzTGOE4.jpg
BFnvN7N.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Seems to be a good Civ-like. Was Early Access but is now in full release and has a 3K DLC as well.

Its sequel is being re-released on Steam by strategy first it seems. Don't know what's behind this publisher bringing so many old games back from dormancy but I hope their releases are reliable enough to not be cash grabs or seem to have license issues; either one or the other of which Prince of Quin seems to have / be.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom