Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's also weird that you can't tell Malenia about the Cocoon.

I really ike the world and the characters in ER, and the initial setup. But the standard From storytelling method of "kill everything you see" might not have been the best choice for this game.

Also, another thing that I didn't get. Why do all the regular soldiers/commoners look and move like undead from the previous Souls games? Are they actually undead in this world too, and how? Or do From just make low-tier enemies like that, because they are used to it?

This is just From Software being unable to break out of the mold they created for themselves with dork souls. Sekiro suffered from the same issue, despite its gameplay mechanics being a huge change from souls games, the setting felt very much like typical From fare, and enemies often looked dessicated, ghoulish even when they're meant to be normal soldiers.

ER does have undeads, but they're completely separate type of enemies, that are weak to holy damage, and hunted down by Golden Order followers like D, because Those Who Live In Death are heretics. If something doesn't seem particularly vulnerable to holy, it's not undead.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also, another thing that I didn't get. Why do all the regular soldiers/commoners look and move like undead from the previous Souls games? Are they actually undead in this world too, and how? Or do From just make low-tier enemies like that, because they are used to it?
I think at some point someone or something says that everyone is losing their mind due to the shattering, but it might be a constructed memory on my part.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think at some point someone or something says that everyone is losing their mind due to the shattering, but it might be a constructed memory on my part.
I only recall things like the intro talking about the mad taint of the shards making the demi gods who took the shards for themselves go crazy, but not anything saying the entire population is losing their wit? the lore tends to justify people attacking you on sight because everyone hates tarnished and the general population follows the golden order (despite many demi gods and Marika herself betraying it).

At times the game really tries to make you feel like there's a real living breathing world in there, like the Radahn festival where you're supposed to experience the feeling that people were loving their lord and are willing to fight and die to send him off respectfully, as a warrior that has always protected them by sealing the stars.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I guess I keep it simple.

bBG2PdP.jpg

2Xh06uu.jpg

qQvuOKR.jpg

FOUL TARNISHED...*sniffs*

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
There's a lot of lieing cunts in this thread. Straight up liars. Post videos of you taking down these bosses easily like you claim you do and show proof it's you doing it . I don't believe a single one of you faggots and I wont until you retards show proof.
What boss do you want? I'm in Leyndell right now, is Morgott okay?

Is a "lick my balls rusty" post-it enough as proof?
literally anything but this thing, since you said that Morgott is an okay example, I uploaded my footage. As soon as the YouTube editor finishes this apparently endless trimming I'll post it here in all its glory. He was so hard that I failed to dodge every single one of his attacks and still wrecked him in 40 seconds. Honestly, it's painful to watch: I run around panic-rolling and he dies on his own.

Silva

Arcane
I only recall things like the intro talking about the mad taint of the shards making the demi gods who took the shards for themselves go crazy, but not anything saying the entire population is losing their wit? the lore tends to justify people attacking you on sight because everyone hates tarnished and the general population follows the golden order (despite many demi gods and Marika herself betraying it).

At times the game really tries to make you feel like there's a real living breathing world in there, like the Radahn festival where you're supposed to experience the feeling that people were loving their lord and are willing to fight and die to send him off respectfully, as a warrior that has always protected them by sealing the stars.
The noble garments actually say everybody is losing their minds and living "immortal, pointless lives".

Silva

Arcane
Sekiro suffered from the same issue, despite its gameplay mechanics being a huge change from souls games, the setting felt very much like typical From fare, and enemies often looked dessicated, ghoulish even when they're meant to be normal soldiers.
Never had this impression myself. Sekiro enemies felt much more varied than Souls, from the bandits looking like bandits while sacking that starting village, to guards and soldiers and those snake snipers feeling like normal combatants. Only the monks in that mountain monastery felt ghoulish, but even then some of their guards felt pretty much alive (and those big hat ones felt like they were on CRACK).

Nathir

Liturgist
I tried my first invasion today. I use the bloody red finger.

"Invaded the world of Uchiha Madara". Ok. Then I run around for 10 mins and I can't find him anywhere. I stop running and contemplate what to do. A dual katana wielding weeb appears right next to me and kills me in 1 attack. He was invis while approaching somehow.

Now this was my first fight, but I think the game might be slightly unbalanced. Maybe I should try lower level pvp.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
There's a lot of lieing cunts in this thread. Straight up liars. Post videos of you taking down these bosses easily like you claim you do and show proof it's you doing it . I don't believe a single one of you faggots and I wont until you retards show proof.
What boss do you want? I'm in Leyndell right now, is Morgott okay?

Is a "lick my balls rusty" post-it enough as proof?
literally anything but this thing, since you said that Morgott is an okay example, I uploaded my footage. As soon as the YouTube editor finishes this apparently endless trimming I'll post it here in all its glory. He was so hard that I failed to dodge every single one of his attacks and still wrecked him in 40 seconds. Honestly, it's painful to watch: I run around panic-rolling and he dies on his own.
Here it is:

The actual fight starts at 2:22. I fail every single dodge, get hit 8 times, and yet the poor old guy still dies in 60 seconds.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

"Invaded the world of Uchiha Madara". Ok. Then I run around for 10 mins and I can't find him anywhere. I stop running and contemplate what to do. A dual katana wielding weeb appears right next to me and kills me in 1 attack. He was invis while approaching somehow.

Now this was my first fight, but I think the game might be slightly unbalanced. Maybe I should try lower level pvp.

Sounds like he was invisible.

JDR13

Arcane

I haven't reached that part yet, but everything I've seen so far feels the opposite of alive. The same applies to every FromSoft game I've played. The NPCs in their games are just soulless (no pun intended) dolls for the most part.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never had this impression myself. Sekiro enemies felt much more varied than Souls, from the bandits looking like bandits while sacking that starting village, to guards and soldiers and those snake snipers feeling like normal combatants. Only the monks in that mountain monastery felt ghoulish, but even then some of their guards felt pretty much alive (and those big hat ones felt like they were on CRACK).
Dunno man.

This is one of the most basic bitch you meet in the beginning of Sekiro :
ixbHNQ2.jpg

It's not an outright zombie but.. does the skin tone look human to you? I mean it and not in a racist way. This is not a healthy asian skintone, or arab, or black, or anything human. All the regular mooks look like there's something wrong with them.

Then you meet something like this mini-boss :

VNsGz7j.jpg

That thing looks sickly and more like a zombie than a proper "monster" or yokai. I mean, some yokai of asian myth do look diseased but this just looks like a giant traditional zombie to me. Look at Nioh for a more japanese vision of monster folklore.

0w17jJC.jpg

This is Genichiro, your main foe throughout the game. Interestingly, the same skin tone as the ogre (at least on my monitor). Dude looks like he's half dead.

Then the deeper you go in the game, the more fucked up people look.
NGAtA9o.jpg

lzfxcR8.jpg

It's hard not to feel like you're going through a post-apocalyptic world where everyone got fcked up just like in a souls game.

Really, the only characters that look normal in the entirety of the game are Owl (well, normal as in healthy, because he's strangely gigantic for a "human".. is he really human? ah, whatever, it's a From game), the kid and Emma. Of course, any From game needs a good looking woman even when the rest of the world looks like it came from Satan's butthole (not to mention, your own player character that looks like a disgenic abomination because of the character creator system in games other than Sekiro).

The noble garments actually say everybody is losing their minds and living "immortal, pointless lives".

Interesting, but which garment? I tried looking it up but couldn't find it.

SumDrunkGuy

Fuckin stupid game wont let me summon for the Radagon/Elden Beast fights. Fuck you From Soft, I hope you get cancer in your ASS

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Well, the problem is that at high levels most builds do so much damage that the person who strikes first wins, which is why the community is pushing for a higher level cap than was typical in Dark Souls PvP so people can pump more points into vigor to offset the hard caps from damaging attributes.

Plus, you end up at 150+ plus just doing all of the content in a single playthrough normally.

I don't know how optimized your build was of course.

Incidentally, on NG+, my 143 Intelligence-driven spell warrior has the touch of death; everything in Limgrave has been melted so far.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

>proper armor (not the heaviest, but this not, to use a certain person's words, a "nun in a dress")
>heavy weapon

Poise totally exists guys, I promise.
ds3 hyperarmor is NOT poise.

You should really watch that poise video. Other than that, I'd normally been running around with about 56 poise in a reasonable set of armour and could shrug off some light hits. I later bumped it to around 75 and could sit still and trade hits with omens if I wanted to. But sure, cool story.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You could trade hits if you initiated the attack first and the enemy attacks during a specific period of your animation frame. Otherwise a group of rats can stunlock you and stop you from doing anything because you are always vulnerable during the starting frames of your attack. Your so called "poise" video is just bullshit apologist nonsense. It's called hyperarmor for a reason.

SumDrunkGuy

I BEAT THE GAME!!!!!! I had a little bit of "help" from some punk but I basically did all the work myself. A true master I was in that final battle.

Took me 241 hours to finish this monster of a game. It's been over a decade since I put that much time into a mostly single player game. Hat is off to you From Software (oh and I take back that thing I said about hoping you get ass cancer).

I'm on to Nioh 2 now and after that I will probably start NG+ in this. I need a break.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You could trade hits if you initiated the attack first and the enemy attacks during a specific period of your animation frame. Otherwise a group of rats can stunlock you and stop you from doing anything because you are always vulnerable during the starting frames of your attack. Your so called "poise" video is just bullshit apologist nonsense. It's called hyperarmor for a reason.

Which explains why the video showed the difference in poise levels when the guy was just standing there and not attacking. I mean, you watched it, right?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Which explains why the video showed the difference in poise levels when the guy was just standing there and not attacking. I mean, you watched it, right?
PVP shit, different balance, show it with PVE mobs and we'll talk.

Sunri

Liturgist

Rabarbar ng+.

I bought the dance pad, but there is not enough buttons to bind every action like special attacks and jumping, hmmm

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I only have 1 boss left and one achievement left to 100%. I'm on NG+2. I don't want to stop playing, so I went and killed Malenia. It kind of sucks. I'm thinking of purposely not getting the achievement to replay one more time. However, bosses have gotten somewhat harder on NG++. Not hugely, but enough to notice.

I don't know what to play next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom