Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

shilence

Educated
01tnrsM.jpg

This is true.

Back in 1985 Richard Garriott released Ultima IV after being little more than a year development. He outsourced the composing of the music and some of the art, but he handled the programming alone.

Back in 2012 Bruce showed the demo for Unknown Realms, "almost finished" in five years of development and collected money 1/4 of a million dollars for the last finishing touches. He also outsourced the music and some of the art but failed to deliver anything after 10 years of development :(

So yes, his tweet is kinda accurate - it neeeds 10x the time and money than it did in 1985 =)

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Lord British also had some work ethic back then, unlike these clowns.

Btw, did they pay the composer they hired?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The game was basically done? So, this assclown and his harlot harlequin just keep collecting money because they have no real job?

Yeah, you ain't ever seeing this bitch finished. They'll keep scamming until everything dries up. Tbh, they haven't shown much at all.

IS A SCAM!

bqnu4oY.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh ho ho! I triggered the postergeist snatch so bad he has to "Cuck button" all my posts. He's so butthurt I laugh. That's hilarious.

He truly has his mouth firmly attached to Bruce's dick drinking up ectoplasm to stay even remotely rooted to the codex. Lol. Gotta luv triggering people... even the silent ones.
NtGTKuq.jpg

Bj0FMWx.jpg

Last edited:

shilence

Educated
The game was basically done?

Depends how you understand the clues:

"Stirring Dragon Games was born in 2012, when Bruce showed an early version of the game engine to the C64 community at the Commodore Vegas Expo."
"Over the last few years we’ve been working on this project full-time to build the custom game engine and all the supporting technology necessary to make this game a reality."
"The game itself is currently in a pre-alpha state and nearing feature completion. The game world and locations are already designed, although names and such are subject to change. The bulk of the remaining development time on the game side will be spent finishing game levels, puzzles, NPC dialog, and the normal play-testing and bug fixing."
"At this stage, the game itself is already in pre-alpha and most of the major technology hurdles have already been cleared. "
"No project is risk free, but the good news is that any risks we foresee come from the “slight delay” column instead of the “failure to deliver” column."
"We're aware there's a possibility that having our expected delivery date in December (Dec 2017) may cause delays for some international backers due to holiday shipping volume. "

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I don’t recall verbally attacking their development; I just said they should be more transparent about it. But I feel bad that this has apparently caused such unhappiness for them. World has enough woes in it; hate for a gamedev family to get down over something like this.

If they’re developing a game, god bless. They should let the backers know! If they’re not, they should move on and find a better joy in life than trolling on Twitter!

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I don’t recall verbally attacking their development; I just said they should be more transparent about it. But I feel bad that this has apparently caused such unhappiness for them. World has enough woes in it; hate for a gamedev family to get down over something like this.

If they’re developing a game, god bless. They should let the backers know! If they’re not, they should move on and find a better joy in life than trolling on Twitter!

This "developer" clearly needs to stay off social media for a bit. He and his wife get butthurt about anything negative said their way. Clearly this Twitter presence isn't helping them....maybe when they actually have something to show for it they can spend their time on Twitter. Is anyone feeling sorry for the situation THEY caused?

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer

Even the suggestion of transparency is enough to get on the "enemy list". I wonder if they keep theirs on a 5 1/4" floppy like Sheldon Cooper.

I know I'm on that list too. I was a backer, and commented many times asking for development updates. At one point I mentioned how I updated people on my tech blog as to the state of my game, and I was rudely told that "hobby projects" are different from commercial ones. Shortly after I released my own vintage CRPG (That I spent 15 years on) to Steam, I was abruptly refunded with no explanation. I had never asked for a refund.

As someone who completed their passion project, I certainly hope Bruce can do so.

Viata

Arcane
I don’t recall verbally attacking their development
Come on, this is coming from the very dev that complained about someone posting "backer-only" updates.
Also, this was the post they are commenting about:
their twitter is absolutely useless. youd never know they were even making a game. Youd think it was some company trying to sell their coffee mugs
If it makes you feel better, they've locked their Twitter: https://twitter.com/stirringdragon

At this point, I think I'd probably be happier to learn this was a straight-out scam like Confederate Express and they're currently squatting in someone's California vacation home fighting eviction...

Nice...from the person developer (Wormwood Studios) who "says supporting other independent game projects is an integral part of their development mission"...:salute:

View attachment 11497

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Even the suggestion of transparency is enough to get on the "enemy list". I wonder if they keep theirs on a 5 1/4" floppy like Sheldon Cooper.

I know I'm on that list too. I was a backer, and commented many times asking for development updates. At one point I mentioned how I updated people on my tech blog as to the state of my game, and I was rudely told that "hobby projects" are different from commercial ones. Shortly after I released my own vintage CRPG (That I spent 15 years on) to Steam, I was abruptly refunded with no explanation. I had never asked for a refund.

As someone who completed their passion project, I certainly hope Bruce can do so.

I think they may have been referring to your game here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-and-commodore-64.112538/page-16#post-7838615 ("becomes a commercial flop")

These people seem to be textbook narcissists. It's a very pathological situation when you have a married couple who are like this, because they fuel each other's worst impulses.

Last edited:

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I don’t recall verbally attacking their development
Come on, this is coming from the very dev that complained about someone posting "backer-only" updates.
Also, this was the post they are commenting about:
their twitter is absolutely useless. youd never know they were even making a game. Youd think it was some company trying to sell their coffee mugs
If it makes you feel better, they've locked their Twitter: https://twitter.com/stirringdragon

At this point, I think I'd probably be happier to learn this was a straight-out scam like Confederate Express and they're currently squatting in someone's California vacation home fighting eviction...

Nice...from the person developer (Wormwood Studios) who "says supporting other independent game projects is an integral part of their development mission"...:salute:

View attachment 11497
Yeah, but what does that have to do with their dev process? It's more their PR/marketing.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
This "developer" clearly needs to stay off social media for a bit. He and his wife get butthurt about anything negative said their way. Clearly this Twitter presence isn't helping them....maybe when they actually have something to show for it they can spend their time on Twitter. Is anyone feeling sorry for the situation THEY caused?

For a couple who enjoy social media, they don't seem too concerned about the Comment to Like ratio on the last "updates" of their "game".

3xe7Idw.png

When your legion of "behind the scenes support" from 1,246 backers can't even break 40 likes in 2 years... :lol:

Contagium

Savant
Patron

For a couple who enjoy social media, they don't seem too concerned about the Comment to Like ratio on the last "updates" of their "game".

3xe7Idw.png

When your legion of "behind the scenes support" from 1,246 backers can't even break 40 likes in 2 years... :lol:

"This brings us a lot of hope and we want to thank each person that has taken the time to let us know they are with us and excited about the game".

I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of us WERE excited for this game. I know I was completely fucking ecstatic about it when I first heard of it eons ago. Just like anything, though, lies and deception can only string along the hardiest of fanboys for so fucking long. There are tons of other idie devs who deserve our time and money before these clowns.

Viata

Arcane
I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of us WERE excited for this game.
Just look at the first few pages:

65K goal is a tad odd.... But backed. This is just too interesting not too. It's like I am a little kid again. :salute:

Backed, and sprung for the Collector's Edition (C64). :D
First time pledging for a Kickstarter, hopefully I don't get burned on this one!

This is insane! This game is doing much better than some RPGs with modern 3d graphics. Looks like easily available Unity3d, Unreal etc really devalued meaning of 3d graphics :incline:

Anyway I'm really glad this funded and to such a high level.

Biggest «Best game that nobody will actually talk about» contender.

Sometimes I wonder how it is that RPGs (especially crowdfunded and/or indie ones) are still getting made at all.

When even on an enthusast forum like this, the people interested enough to follow the game's thread end up writing stuff like "they didn't say what I wanted to hear", "I'll buy this at 50% off", "I'm tempted to back this game", where do their backers come from?
Guess we owe one to the non-monocled crowd out there that just pops into their wallet and puts some money down instead of engaging in a lenghy analysis coming to the foregone conclusion "ALMOST a game I'd back". :P

This is a :obviously: game.

Saduj

Arcane
They could resolve the main complaint people are making by investing a half hour a month in posting a brief backer update with some screen shots. They will never address why they won't do this because their refusal simply defies all logic. So instead they disingenuously whine and play the victim. When people are so blatantly dishonest, it betrays a real contempt for the rest of humanity on their part. Nobody with a shred of respect for the average human being would expect anyone to buy this nonsense.

Viata

Arcane
It's pretty obvious they are not working on the game at this point. Mostly because they could just release updates, since there is no reason at all to not do that. They spend most of their time on twitter talking about being a developer, because talking is easier than doing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom