Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

wishbonetail

Learned
Most people think that killer reveal is a letdown. I think it is fitting with the story tone. Killer is a letdown and a failure, just like the main hero. I wasnt expecting some big plot twist at the end.The detective story is secondary here and the main plot was about searching of self-identity. So, it is process itself not the goal which warrants an additional playthroughs.

Gruncheon

Savant
Celebrating my mate getting married last year, we got the "old crew" back together and went out for a whole day of heavy physical activity and much drinking.

Waking up the day after on my sofa, I had managed to puke on my rather nice carpet in my living room and my muscles were so sore that I actually had trouble getting up. The button holding my shorts up had disappeared sometime during the evening before and I had vague memories of drunkenly stumbling the last distance to my place with me trying to hold the shorts up with one hand.

Waking up and desperately flailing to try and get out of the sofa, I remember thinking about Disco Elysium at that time. It was a real Harry moment.

Hey everyone, get a load of old Dick Mullen over here! Vommed all over the carpet and, Jesus Christ, is his dick hanging out of his shorts?

I don't know if it's been discussed here, but any favorite moments? Mine was actually Garte the cafeteria manager and seeing interactions play out with him.

When the ending standoff with the Wild Pines mercenaries happened, I think that whole moment was brilliant especially with Bratan the neck-tie, but the cherry on top for me was actually Garte showing up on the balcony to pretty much tell the mercs to fuck off and that was great, because later when you talk to him, there's this nice moment of Garte actually giving you props, you can give him back props too, and he has this unexpectedly cool line along the way of, something like, "I guess I realized I don't really care if I die or not when I was up there," not worded that way exactly perhaps but it was good. I haven't played this game since 2019, long before the final cut update, so I don't know if him saying that line can sound cooler than it already was when I first played it. But this is a great game, and there were times where I rolled my eyes at some of the... "sensibilities" the game seems to want to convey to you at all costs, but I never got the impression that what I was playing was bad and playing this game drunk is honestly the kino experience. Makes me wish I actually went to university because Harry waking up to the whirling-in-rags song gave me a feeling I haven't had for a game in ages.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Most people think that killer reveal is a letdown. I think it is fitting with the story tone. Killer is a letdown and a failure, just like the main hero. I wasnt expecting some big plot twist at the end.The detective story is secondary here and the main plot was about searching of self-identity. So, it is process itself not the goal which warrants an additional playthroughs.

Having some dumb detective novel plot twist at the end would've been horrible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know if it's been discussed here, but any favorite moments? Mine was actually Garte the cafeteria manager and seeing interactions play out with him.

I read Garte as a Marxist's sympathetic portrayal of the small business owner class. I'd be surprised if the design documentation for his character didn't include the term "petit bourgeois".

I read Garte as a Marxist's sympathetic portrayal of the small business owner class. I'd be surprised if the design documentation for his character didn't include the term "petit bourgeois".

Wasn't he just some guy working two jobs he doesn't like or something? I vaguely remember him explaining something along those lines to Harry. Giving him too much credit if so. :D

Harthwain

Magister
No, not two jobs. He was just standing in for the regular bartender. He is actually a cafeteria manager. Big difference.
He also had some other job in other part of the city from what i remember. Or maybe that was some past job.
It's all in the wiki:

A man in his late twenties, Garte is the cafeteria manager for a franchise of three establishments, including the Whirling-In-Rags. He was forced to step in to replace Sylvie Malaiika, who quit after Harrier Du Bois's three-day bender. He is actually quite familiar with the Whirling, as he's started his career as an employee there, in '37 - fourteen years ago. [...] He lives elsewhere in Jamrock, only coming to Martinaise occasionally to keep an eye on the Whirling-In-Rags.

LOGIC [Medium: Success] – *Babybeard*... that can only be Garte, the cafeteria manager.

YOU – "You mean Garte?"

CUNO – "Yeah, fuckin' babybeard. Cleaned all your shit up. He's like your fuckin' mom now or something.".

KIM KITSURAGI – "Mr... Garte, right?" The lieutenant glances into his little notebook. "You run this place?"

GARTE, THE CAFETERIA MANAGER – "Yes," he responds tersely..

KIM KITSURAGI – "You said you just got here -- from where? Are you a local?"

GARTE, THE CAFETERIA MANAGER – "What? Of Martinaise -- no. I live in Jamrock. I only *sometimes* come here to keep an eye on the place. This is just one of many, many cafeterias I manage."
Source: https://discoelysium.fandom.com/wiki/Lawrence_Garte

Zariusz

Arbiter
It's all in the wiki:

A man in his late twenties, Garte is the cafeteria manager for a franchise of three establishments, including the Whirling-In-Rags. He was forced to step in to replace Sylvie Malaiika, who quit after Harrier Du Bois's three-day bender. He is actually quite familiar with the Whirling, as he's started his career as an employee there, in '37 - fourteen years ago. [...] He lives elsewhere in Jamrock, only coming to Martinaise occasionally to keep an eye on the Whirling-In-Rags.

LOGIC [Medium: Success] – *Babybeard*... that can only be Garte, the cafeteria manager.

YOU – "You mean Garte?"

CUNO – "Yeah, fuckin' babybeard. Cleaned all your shit up. He's like your fuckin' mom now or something.".

KIM KITSURAGI – "Mr... Garte, right?" The lieutenant glances into his little notebook. "You run this place?"

GARTE, THE CAFETERIA MANAGER – "Yes," he responds tersely..

KIM KITSURAGI – "You said you just got here -- from where? Are you a local?"

GARTE, THE CAFETERIA MANAGER – "What? Of Martinaise -- no. I live in Jamrock. I only *sometimes* come here to keep an eye on the place. This is just one of many, many cafeterias I manage."
Source: https://discoelysium.fandom.com/wiki/Lawrence_Garte

Hmm i bet that i just remembered mixed version of the last quote

KVVRR

Learned
There's too many moments I really like but right now the first to come up to mind is Dolores talking about Harry's "dialogue lists" in the last dream and how insane they sounded. It's a small throwaway thing that incorporates yet another part of a normal game design into the story itself in a way that makes complete sense because, well yeah, of course Dick fucking Mullen would distort his way of speaking into a fucking dialogue tree of all things.

There's too many moments I really like but right now the first to come up to mind is Dolores talking about Harry's "dialogue lists" in the last dream and how insane they sounded. It's a small throwaway thing that incorporates yet another part of a normal game design into the story itself in a way that makes complete sense because, well yeah, of course Dick fucking Mullen would distort his way of speaking into a fucking dialogue tree of all things.

Ok yeah that was really funny. The most painful part is knowing she aborted Harry's baby in favor of another guy's.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know if it's been discussed here, but any favorite moments?
For me, the final encounter with Dolores Dei is the perfect culmination of Harry's tragedy, where you finally get confirmation that the personality he built for himself is just an unhealthy way of dealing with the ending of his relationship. He can't accept that things simply didn't work out between them, so he has to believe that she left him for a richer man, that the bourgeoisie broke them apart.

The entire scene is beautiful, with all the skills going crazy and either trying to push you to do something dumb or realizing that all hope is lost. But the highest point is the kiss, where she doesn't kiss you back even after a successful check and, when you complain you succeeded, Suggestion replies with my favorite line in the game:

Screenshot-2022-04-26-at-00-35-04.png

That dialogue has many other great skills interjections (Interfacing telling you to retry all the dialogue choices to keep her there with you, Authority and Volition having a breakdown, Logic and Drama unable to understand that it's over and you can't do anything about it) but this is definitely my favorite one.

Last edited:

coldaqua

Novice

My favourite moment was failing the Savoir Fare check to slip away from Garte when he asks about the hotel bill, and jumping straight into Lena's wheelchair while giving him the finger. It happened near the beginning of the game so I was expecting a failed skill check to be mundane like in other cRPGs, but the whole sequence was so unexpectedly funny and poignant. Especially when talking to your subconscious again with Tiger King playing in the background. It really helped set the tone for the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane

My favourite moment was failing the Savoir Fare check to slip away from Garte when he asks about the hotel bill, and jumping straight into Lena's wheelchair while giving him the finger. It happened near the beginning of the game so I was expecting a failed skill check to be mundane like in other cRPGs, but the whole sequence was so unexpectedly funny and poignant. Especially when talking to your subconscious again with Tiger King playing in the background. It really helped set the tone for the rest of the game.
You're not Prime Junta.
keep the avatar please

Trippy

Novice
I largely agree with the Codex churlishness but have major cognitive dissonance with the hive mind antagonism over this game.

I loved it. The idea that this is entirely some hyper-leftist screed is at the very least unfair. I played the game basically as myself, and thus definitely didn't roleplay as some fucking commie. Didn't feel like the game ever really lectured me on anything (though I never picked any dialog choices that would invite such), and in the prologue it described me as basically an Adam Smithian free-market motherfucker who also also despises neoliberalism. The game shrugged and suggested that while it found these things somewhat contradictory, hey, it seems to work for me. In contrast to most games that declare me either GOOD or EVIL, this was disarmingly insightful.

And Kim is fantastic. Every night as I'm chain-sucking down another pack of cigarettes, I occasionally think of Kim and his *one* cigarette that he allows himself per night -- a testament to his will power. What a great fucking character.

Anyway, if you only want combat from an RPG, then... like... play literally any other RPG ever made.

vota DC

Augur
He isn't René Arnoux Prime Junta that without Heart failure he would surely single handedly defeat both invaders and commie rebels but he still manages to hide and help the revolution...killing that mercenary trigger the fight between Union and supercapitalists that are allied with foreign invaders....and the Union Is going to win.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does your choices really matter in this game? I heard there is only one ending.
Your choices in Disco Elysium primarily affect flavor text, received from the aspects of Harry's personality you've focused on, from certain "thought cabinet" options, from a political choice, or from dialogue options. Though note that it is possible to screw up the main quest to a sufficient extent that a principal character will die and Harry ends up booted out of the police force due to lack of evidence to secure the murderer and
failure to capture photographic proof of the existence of the phasmid.

That stated, Communism: Torment would have been an excellent title for this game. :M

Terenty

Liturgist
Harry ends up booted out of the police force
Wait, what? Is it true? I thought no matter how bad you are they still take you back
They are forced to keep you if you get the evidence of the existence of the phasmid.
So there's a way to get fired for good? Like you are told to get lost at the end of the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom