Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Elder Scrolls freebies on Steam

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I guess it's nice to have it on Steam as well?

I think it is. Steam has a lot more reach than GOG and Bethesda's website requires a Bethesda.net account unless they've changed that. Even though I have Daggerfall on GOG, I grabbed it on Steam as well so it'll always be on there as well with all the other Elder Scrolls games I have. There's a few games I own on a few different platforms.
Did Bethesda's website require one of those at some point? I don't remember ever having one+originally got it from tere and when I went to check it just now it let me download without registering anything.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm wondering why Daggerfall is free while Battlespire is $6. As far as I know, Battlespire didn't sell well whereas Daggerfall sold pretty well. Daggerfall came out in 1996, Battlespire was a year later. Both are over 20 years old. I would think that Daggerfall would be the one they could charge money for as opposed to Battlespire. I'm not saying they should charge for Daggerfall at this point, I just think it's odd they charge money for the less successful of the titles which were released at the same time. I think if you asked someone to name the Elder Scrolls games, there's a good chance that Battlespire wouldn't be mentioned. At best, it would be an after thought.

In my YouTube feed, Daggerfall and Morrowind pop up a lot. Oblivion does as well. Mostly lore videos, a few let's plays, some retrospectives. I don't think I've ever seen a Battlespire video.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Who cares. Real men get it from here. They haven't even enabled aspect-ratio correction on their own games; it's pathetic, really.
And I'm sure they're still using mainline DOSBox with no shader support for nice sharp-bilinear HW accelerated or pixel-perfect scaling...

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm wondering why Daggerfall is free while Battlespire is $6. As far as I know, Battlespire didn't sell well whereas Daggerfall sold pretty well. Daggerfall came out in 1996, Battlespire was a year later. Both are over 20 years old. I would think that Daggerfall would be the one they could charge money for as opposed to Battlespire. I'm not saying they should charge for Daggerfall at this point, I just think it's odd they charge money for the less successful of the titles which were released at the same time. I think if you asked someone to name the Elder Scrolls games, there's a good chance that Battlespire wouldn't be mentioned. At best, it would be an after thought.

In my YouTube feed, Daggerfall and Morrowind pop up a lot. Oblivion does as well. Mostly lore videos, a few let's plays, some retrospectives. I don't think I've ever seen a Battlespire video.

Daggerfall was released years ago for free by Bethesda as an anniversary PR stunt. That's why.

I'm sure that retard Hines would love to charge people for it on Steam, but you can't unrelease a game you already released as free.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
'm sure that retard Hines would love to charge people for it on Steam, but you can't unrelease a game you already released as free.
Actually, its entirely possible. Granted, in this case its going to be mildly annoying since so many people got it for free over the years, but it is possible. A considerable number of games have had enough days on the free section of GOG and Steam that are basically in the same situation. Further, I remember that the original Zork trilogy got released for free a long time ago, but then Activision started selling it. On computers, anyway, for a while you get it for free on your mobile phone, but they charged for any non-Zork I Infocom game. (which was actually the last time you could buy some of these) What, a few people on internet forums are going to mock them? That were probably going to mock them anyway? I'm sure that will finally worry Bethesda.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
'm sure that retard Hines would love to charge people for it on Steam, but you can't unrelease a game you already released as free.
Actually, its entirely possible. Granted, in this case its going to be mildly annoying since so many people got it for free over the years, but it is possible. A considerable number of games have had enough days on the free section of GOG and Steam that are basically in the same situation. Further, I remember that the original Zork trilogy got released for free a long time ago, but then Activision started selling it. On computers, anyway, for a while you get it for free on your mobile phone, but they charged for any non-Zork I Infocom game. (which was actually the last time you could buy some of these) What, a few people on internet forums are going to mock them? That were probably going to mock them anyway? I'm sure that will finally worry Bethesda.

I've seen developers sell their own open source applications on Google Play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom