Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Drakortha

Liturgist
the worst part of f3 is not even the mechanics, it's how utterly retarded everything is. nukes and edible food in 200 years old mailboxes, "go step on mines for science, but first die of radiation poisoning for science", "let's live next to an unexploded bomb", "go nuke that building because people in there have rules and i wouldn't fit", "-i fight the good fight. -[intelligence 8] so you fight the good fight".

TBH all of that actually sounds pretty entertaining, in a dumb but fun kind of way.

Robotigan

Learned
Video game journalism is terrible because there are very few trained journalists writing about games. Most are written by some schmuck who's desperate enough to work for $5 per article. There's just no demand for quality video game journalism.

the worst part of f3 is not even the mechanics, it's how utterly retarded everything is. nukes and edible food in 200 years old mailboxes, "go step on mines for science, but first die of radiation poisoning for science", "let's live next to an unexploded bomb", "go nuke that building because people in there have rules and i wouldn't fit", "-i fight the good fight. -[intelligence 8] so you fight the good fight".

TBH all of that actually sounds pretty entertaining, in a dumb but fun kind of way.
if only it hadn't to be taken at face value.

Video game journalism is terrible because there are very few trained journalists writing about games. Most are written by some schmuck who's desperate enough to work for $5 per article. There's just no demand for quality video game journalism.
matter is quite worse actually. gaming journos make a bragging point of being paid for votes or, in some cases, to routinely review without even having tried the game once.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There's no demand for any kind of videogame journalism at all, good or bad. I'm surprised how these sites manage to keep afloat. Who the fuck reads game reviews? Just watch a stream, or a YouTube video, or if you have PS+, just demo the first two hours.

I quite enjoyed Skyrim back then despite its obvious shortcomings, but the "evolution of Bethesda" doesn't make me very excited about this.

Rather, I'm going fully-on retro to revisit Starfield's lead's biggest achievements to gamingkind:

Life Of The Party (nuff said).

Plus his AV review of the original Thief, which may have been one of the reasons why he eventually got a job in this industry in the first place (the times, they seem to be a-changing).

After that, it apparently was mostly all downhill from there. Also, quite curious to read opinion pieces on games of yore like that from somebody who's now infamous for his "paper airplane" and "keep it simple" lectures on games design/writing. :D

Really the best thing about Thief: The Dark Project is the way it encourages the player to think through any situation, and get as creative as possible within the confines of the game.

But then he witnessed Looking Glass going bust first-hand, so maybe you can't blame him if he went into opposing directions thereafter. (But you still should).

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I quite enjoyed Skyrim back then despite its obvious shortcomings, but the "evolution of Bethesda" doesn't make me very excited about this.

Rather, I'm going fully-on retro to revisit Starfield's lead's biggest achievements to gamingkind:

Plus his AV review of the original Thief, which may have been one of the reasons why he eventually got a job in this industry in the first place (the times, they seem to be a-changing).

After that, it apparently was mostly all downhill from there. Also, quite curious to read opinion pieces on games of yore like that from somebody who's now infamous for his "paper airplane" and "keep it simple" lectures on games design/writing. :D

But then he witnessed Looking Glass going bust first-hand, so maybe you can't blame him if he went into opposing directions thereafter. (But you still should).

He is credited for writing and quest design on Morrowind Bloodmoon and quest design on Oblivion too. I was watching this video
(if you want a laugh read the comments) and he seems quite out of touch. But then again, I have played many hours of several games he has been involved in.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

He is credited for writing and quest design on Morrowind Bloodmoon and quest design on Oblivion too. I was watching this video
(if you want a laugh read the comments) and he seems quite out of touch. But then again, I have played many hours of several games he has been involved in.

I wonder if this is the same talk that MRY wrote a detailed reply to. Gonna have to check.

zapotec

Liturgist
Interesting that the game will allow you to actually pilot your ship, that implies possible space combat and a truly open world space environment.

For all the faults that people point out about Bethesda, this will assuredly be 100x the better game than outer worlds.
N6VmqwQ.jpg

notpl

Arbiter
There's no demand for any kind of videogame journalism at all, good or bad. I'm surprised how these sites manage to keep afloat. Who the fuck reads game reviews? Just watch a stream, or a YouTube video, or if you have PS+, just demo the first two hours.
Like all journalism, it's just a welfare program for unemployable aristocrat children.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Put all the women in front of picture and put all productive guys who actually make game in back. Every.Single.Time. How does it feel to literally be 2nd class citizen in your grandfathers' countries, Westerners?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know that Bethesda takes a long time to show gameplay, but I really did feel that 2022 was a bit optimist for a release.
E3yDRbvWYAIJc6e

RepHope

Savant

"Next Cyberpunk"
:dead:

Asshole always says he knew something after a big announcement but never before. Said he knew about Blizzard being a shit show behind the scenes but never said anything (which he quickly stopped saying when his SJW fanbase turned on him for not blowing the whistle on Blizzard).

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Microsoft should dump Bethesda as a studio entire, take the Elder Scrolls / Fallout IP's, and put other studios on them. Bethesda is about to go Bioware where they put out a string of flops - and there "BEST RPG MAKER" cred w/ journos and mainstream players falls apart - put them out of their misery now and get money from the purchase.

People playing on they PS5 having to load interior cells for Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 aren't going to be down.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Microsoft should dump Bethesda as a studio entire, take the Elder Scrolls / Fallout IP's, and put other studios on them. Bethesda is about to go Bioware where they put out a string of flops - and there "BEST RPG MAKER" cred w/ journos and mainstream players falls apart - put them out of their misery now and get money from the purchase.

People playing on they PS5 having to load interior cells for Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 aren't going to be down.

Eh.

Their last game was FO76. It was initially a flop but their management pushed all boundaries to get it to success by pivoting quickly. It is now a pretty successful game.

At this point in time Bethesda is more or less stagnant in quality. That would be normally be a bad thing... if not for the fact that most big AAA and even AA studio right now plain sucks. TOW has showed that Obsidian even with 2 beloved project leaders can churn something worse than Bethesda games. The rest of named AAA or AA studio are in decline.

There are worse, worse studios to have both IP in. The clusterfuck with VTMB 2 should show you something. We are at the point where stagnation of Bethesda and Ubisoft in making open world games is somehow better than the alternative of giving it to some random studio that will fuck things up even more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom