Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent hills is now cancelled

SumDrunkGuy

Oh fuck off with that shit damn you. I just want proper remasters of 2 & 3. 3 still looks great at high resolutions.

1744263599-AlessaSickroom.png

3274123-tumblr_2ed787bfb3e0a24c2fbf330d7c762e25_85616e09_2048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Months ago, Masahiro ito was angry at his twitter saying these

FS5MIDHWIAEPGU7

If the Silent hill 2 remake is true now I understand these twits more.

Perkel

Arcane
Any chance these remakes could actually be good, like RE?

Blobber Team is polish team responsible for recent "Medium" game. Medium itself was kind of good and leaning heavily into Silent Hill themes and it looked great.

From rumors SH2 remake is supposed to be like Shadow of Colossus or Demon's Souls remake instead of something with SH name on it. So basically better graphics + old gameplay and it seems like some redesigned puzzles. So kind of hype i guess. Blobber seems competent enough on graphics side.

SH2 deserves proper graphical remake especially since remaster is garbage tier effort while old game is notoriously hard to emulate and old pc version has huge issues as well.

------------------

When it comes to new game no hype at all. Time and time again various western teams proved they have no clue about what makes SH such a great franchise. I doubt dudes from poland will get it.

There is only one team that "sort of got it" which made Shattered Memories mostly because they made it as completely different game which later on had attached SH name and done some reworks on it to match some SH stuff. In the end game actually was great because it was not SH game and played with player expecting bad SH game subverting expectations.

Perkel

Arcane
Also ib4 someone says they should not rework some of puzzles.

Wax horseshoe handle is one of the worst puzzles ever created. It was retarded at releases and so is retarded nearly 20 years later. Topping even rubber duck one from The Longest Journey.

toughasnails

I didn't have any trouble emulating Silent Hill 2.
Neither did I tbh... Further there is that in development mod for the PC port which aims to add the missing effects and graphics alongside other improvements. I never tried it, on my part I'm sticking with the PS2 original (doesn't help that the mod in question had p bloated size the last time I checked ) but people are generally praising it a lot.

As far as the possible remake goes, I guess I'm OK with it. Blobber Team's games had consistently impressive & polished visuals, so as long as they just reproduce the original writing and build on how the game originally played whilst redoing the visuals from the grounds up it could be fine. I would have preferred a remake of the first game though, since it needs it much more (SH2 can look fine today as it is, especially the interiors). I suppose SH2 IS the most popular one, but starting with it combined with the few extant leaks does make me suspect what direction they'll take with their original game, p much the same one followed by other Western takes.

wishbonetail

Learned
There is only one team that "sort of got it" which made Shattered Memories mostly because they made it as completely different game which later on had attached SH name and done some reworks on it to match some SH stuff. In the end game actually was great because it was not SH game and played with player expecting bad SH game subverting expectations.
It maybe an unpopular opinion but i think that SH Origins is pretty good and it suffers terribly from PSP platform. I woud've loved to see a remake of that. Especially since Bloobers already stolen borrowed mirror mechanics in the Medium.
SH2 is a wholesome composition, looks great and should be left the fuck alone.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Woke people on Twitter and Resetera get mad a that game (The Medium). There's a moment where the game
tries to make you sympathise with a pedophile and his victim turns "evil"

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Why are they starting with a remake of 2 and not the original? Or are they counting Shattered Memories as a remake rather than...whatever it was? Is SH2 really that much more popular?

SumDrunkGuy

Why are they starting with a remake of 2 and not the original? Or are they counting Shattered Memories as a remake rather than...whatever it was? Is SH2 really that much more popular?

Yes, It's the clear fan favorite and franchise darling. I'm more partial to 3 myself.

Wunderbar

Arcane
SH2 is more popular because it's the easiest and the most storyfaggiest game in the series.

That's why Homecoming/Downpour also tried to pull a similar plot twist, and both of them portrayed the titular town as some sort of purgatory for sinners and shiet.

Perkel

Arcane

It is easily the most popular game out of franchise and with best story that doesn't rely on cult stuff from SH1, SH3. SH4 tries also kind of not rely that much on it but it had its own set of issues. SH1 was PS1 game which is even more ancient graphics wise than sh2 and much harder to remake in vein of what Bluebyte did with SOTC or DS.

Moreover SH3 is direct sequel to SH1 while SH2 is stand alone game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom