Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hearkenwold - an IceBlink and DC engine Campaign

Dorateen

Arcane

On the other hand the "cast" hotkey seems amiss in combat indeed which is a shame 'cause it is used quite a bit :D
still, level 3 and smashing my foes :D !
The hotkey letter O will bring up the casting menu. (Yes, we do need better ingame documentation!) The reason why c is not used, is because that key Centers the map during combat. But O should function as the casting key. Hope that helps.

Couple of thoughts about Attacks of Opportunity: I think the free move at the start of a round might be connected to the flat-footed mechanic. That is not enabled for this module, but it sounds like it has the same effect, being able to move away from an adjacent enemy on a character's first turn. Other times, this movement will trigger AoO, but these are not capped. I think this is how it was in the Gold Box games. You could keep moving away from a monster, and they will continue to get free attacks. IceBlink is more of a mash up between 3rd edition and AD&D, which is why there are some quirks to the gameplay.

There is no in-game World Map, however I can share this image that gives a rough idea of how the areas are connected.

kDjZeCQ.jpg

Replicante

Educated

On the other hand the "cast" hotkey seems amiss in combat indeed which is a shame 'cause it is used quite a bit :D
still, level 3 and smashing my foes :D !
The hotkey letter O will bring up the casting menu. (Yes, we do need better ingame documentation!) The reason why c is not used, is because that key Centers the map during combat. But O should function as the casting key. Hope that helps.

Couple of thoughts about Attacks of Opportunity: I think the free move at the start of a round might be connected to the flat-footed mechanic. That is not enabled for this module, but it sounds like it has the same effect, being able to move away from an adjacent enemy on a character's first turn. Other times, this movement will trigger AoO, but these are not capped. I think this is how it was in the Gold Box games. You could keep moving away from a monster, and they will continue to get free attacks. IceBlink is more of a mash up between 3rd edition and AD&D, which is why there are some quirks to the gameplay.

There is no in-game World Map, however I can share this image that gives a rough idea of how the areas are connected.

kDjZeCQ.jpg
yeah, "O" works fine. Thanks for the image. I should also note that AC is displayed the old fashioned way in the inventory (the closer to 0 the better) whereas AC is to hit in the combat system. Meaning it's a bit counterintuive to put better gear with +AC, see your ac go from 4 to 2 on the inventory and then notice that your To Hit went up from 16 to 18 which is good. For people who never heard of the old editions AC system this might very confusing, I'd imagine.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I should also note that AC is displayed the old fashioned way in the inventory (the closer to 0 the better) whereas AC is to hit in the combat system. Meaning it's a bit counterintuive to put better gear with +AC, see your ac go from 4 to 2 on the inventory and then notice that your To Hit went up from 16 to 18 which is good. For people who never heard of the old editions AC system this might very confusing, I'd imagine.
If you wanted to open the IceBlink toolset application and load the Hearkenwold module, there is a dropdown menu at the top of the screen for Wizards/Editors. Under the Rules Editor, Armor Class Shown can be switched from Descending to Ascending.

As you mentioned, the lower armor class values are only a display option when viewing the character sheet. The combat engine calculates based on BAB and the higher values.

Replicante

Educated
Got it. Changed, though it was a very minor thing. However, I seem to be trapped in the Cave of Venture after wishing for wealth at the exit. I can reach the exit tile just fine (avoiding the ghost) but I no longer get the option of leaving the cave when I reach that tile. Cave is fully explored btw. Don't know if I'm missing something.

Dorateen

Arcane
However, I seem to be trapped in the Cave of Venture after wishing for wealth at the exit. I can reach the exit tile just fine (avoiding the ghost) but I no longer get the option of leaving the cave when I reach that tile. Cave is fully explored btw. Don't know if I'm missing something.
No, that is a trap option. There is only one reply that will let you escape the cave. It is the idea of a genie granting a wish, but twisting it into something undesirable. So if you wished for wealth... you won't be able to leave.

Do you have a save before making that choice?

Replicante

Educated
I lost a a bit of progress there but game is so awesome I actually didnt mind replaying it. I wonder about the CHA stat however, I went 19 with my paladin and I reckon I might have been better going for WIS to get some extra SP

Dorateen

Arcane
I wonder about the CHA stat however, I went 19 with my paladin and I reckon I might have been better going for WIS to get some extra SP
A character with high Charisma will get extra dialogue options in some conversations. But the spellpoints from Wisdom, is probably better. There are stat boosting items that can be found and also a way to increase the Wisdom stat, so there are some options later for your paladin.

Replicante

Educated
I'm unsure whether the haste spell is doing something funky, it doesnt seem to grant a third attack on chars that got 2 Attacks naturally, for instance. Might this be a bug¿? Also, ever since I leveled the sweep skill my fighter seems to only attack once by def despite supposedly having #2 attacks
pd: still having a blast. I noticed that you ported the module to KOTC engine, too. Which one would you recommend playing, balance wise, IB or kotc engine?

pd2: I should also ask, is the "search" feature with the spacebar relevant? haoen't found anytyhing of note yet. And secondly, for search and spot checks, does it matter which char leads the party? I'm generally switching to my ranger or thief but not sure if it's necessary. Ty.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm unsure whether the haste spell is doing something funky, it doesnt seem to grant a third attack on chars that got 2 Attacks naturally, for instance. Might this be a bug¿?
pd: still having a blast. I noticed that you ported the module to KOTC engine, too. Which one would you recommend playing, balance wise, IB or kotc engine?

pd2: I should also ask, is the "search" feature with the spacebar releoant? haoen't found anytyhing of note yet. And secondly, for search and spot checks, does it matter which char leads the party? I'm generally switching to my ranger or thief but not sure if it's necessary. Ty.
Haste should grant an extra attack, including a third if a character already has 2 attacks. I will test that and see if there is indeed a bug.

The search feature was something included in the engine for other modules, this one does not make use of it. I did put Spot dc checks in some conversations.

Balance is not a strong characteristic of this module, mostly due to how open it is and the amount of content. I ported to KotC2 because I enjoy the combat engine and there are more options (much more spells, feats and maneuvers). But you can still make powerful characters that will then find some areas too easy, or you can wander into more difficult content and get wiped. I'd probably say IceBlink is a "tighter" experience only because the combat mechanics are more limited in scope.

Replicante

Educated
Yeah, I like it a lot as I said, and I'm having a great time. But the engine seems to have some quirks, the #attack number issue, and also I just bought a circlet of blasting and I can use it with every single character every turn as long as it's in the party inventory, which seems beyond broken : O

pd: still missing that 2nd attack with my fighter which was carrying me hard : D

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I just bought a circlet of blasting and I can use it with every single character every turn as long as it's in the party inventory, which seems beyond broken : O
I have fixed the Circlet so that it can only be used while equipped, and has 5 charges. It will be updated in the next release, which should be next month. Thanks for catching that!

Dorateen

Arcane
I am planning to release the updated Hearkenwold module for the IceBlink engine later this month. For now, here is a video that shows some of the new content, which will be made available. This part starts with the party already on the water, having acquired a small boat to explore the River Astar. What could go wrong.

I just have a few more encounters to place, and then I expect the module to be ready to post in couple of weeks, after testing.

Dorateen

Arcane
I have a new version of the Hearkenwold campaign available for IceBlink. The file can be downloaded here:

Hearkenwold

The compressed folder contains build 203 of the IceBlink engine with the module included. Just need to extract and place in your computer's documents folder.

If anyone has existing saved games, that Hearkenwold saves folder can be copied over directly.

There are three primary purposes for this update as follows:
  • Continues the main adventure, introducing a new desert town called Sinestra
  • Adds a Psionic themed adventure, which also functions as an alternate guild quest for wizard player characters
  • New wilderness locations introduced along the River Astar with associated content
Altogether there are dozens of new maps, enemies and items that further expands the campaign.

Te8te7t.jpg

WLuDwPs.jpg

And finally, I have updated the world map. Empty white spaces have been replaced with a general terrain tiles, which represents what can realistically be expected to find in those areas. The framed, more detailed squares are the playable areas in game. One day, I'll get this completely mapped out.

JwqtvlX.jpg

For anyone interested in the version for Knights of the Chalice 2, I will begin reconstruction of all the new content into that adventure module.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I've been back working in the IceBlink toolset for the continuation of the Hearkenwold campaign. This is relevant for the IceBlink version, obviously, but also the Knights of the Chalice 2 module as it will further the main adventure path. Previously, the party might have heard mention from NPCs about a town called Saldanus. It is a coastal settlement that functions as an independent city state outside the Kingdom. It is fabled for its riches and often referred to as gleaming white-walled. The next part of the adventure will take the characters to this destination.

The layout of the location is built from interconnected maps. There is also going to be a sewer level, an environment I have not yet explored. Saldanus is going to be more combat focused, rather than a place to chat up dozens of citizens, and every building on a map will transition to its own submap. I realized as I was putting this together, I can't reveal too much without spoiling events that have overtaken the town. Anyone who has completed the present module all the way to the end will know what has happened. But here is a preview of an area. One of the features is that it will be possible for the party to climb onto the tiles that represent building walls and roofs. Who knows what will be found up there.

Kow0GN1.jpg

The city itself is designed with multiple levels called Tiers. As the party progresses, they will climb higher toward the streets above.

J93kBVY.jpg

And here is a battle with six nasty black puddings who crawled out of the sewer. Black pudding are a higher level ooze with over a hundred hit points, and impervious to almost all forms of damage. At least, let's hope they are black puddings.

DwZXt2B.jpg

If I am able to maintain the schedule as in the past couple of years, I should be able to release the new IceBlink version with Saldanus in June. And then I will spend next summer reconstructing the content into the KotC2 module for an expected early fall release.

Dorateen

Arcane
I am continuing work on the Saldanus content, which will be an upcoming sprawling city adventure in Hearkenwold. Right now, I'm in the middle of laying down encounters that will take place outside as the party is wandering around the streets. Then I will start building all the interior locations and exciting events therein. Finally, I plan to design the sewers that will represent a new experience for the characters to explore.

In the previous update, I mentioned black puddings that have a large amount of immunities, including physical damage. However one vulnerability is the time tested tactic to kill it with fire. There is a completely unconnected encounter the player can stumble across, one that gives the chance to obtain an efreet bottle. This can prove very useful on such occasions when one could use a little extra source of fire damage. I had not been planning this, that is a separate combat that can yield a possible solution to a later challenge, but it is kind of neat. Emergent gameplay!

Here is a screenshot of the Efreet battle.

GU3p7u0.jpg

Using the efreet bottle summons a mini-efreet during combat. This temporary ally comes with the ability to cast fireball and flame fingers, which these dumb Hill Giants are about to find out.

jroypOm.jpg

And finally, to keep things seasonal, here is another screenshot of part of the city when the animated snow effect is displayed. Saldanus rests in a northern climate on the map, so some scattered snow fall can be expected.

jjzmHua.jpg

Last month was a little short, and I did not get as much done as I had wanted, but still made good progress. I will be further placing the outside encounters over the next few weeks heading into the New Year. This is why I projected it will take me another six months to finish all the areas and release the next version of the module.

Dorateen

Arcane
Last month I started work on the interior locations in the Saldanus city adventure from Hearkenwold. This includes a multi-level bell tower the party can explore. I need to finish setting up encounters here, and then move on to the other buildings that are accessible.

oeX4SGV.jpg

While this is going to be the focus over the next couple of months, I still have more outdoor events on the map and NPC interactions, which I will be returning to. And speaking of encounters, I wanted to mention that this new content is being designed for a party with 10th level characters. Based on feedback I received from people playing the KotC2 version, that is the level characters currently seem to finish at. This follows closely with the IceBlink version, where the test party I am running has a 10th level Thief. The IceBlink version of the module does use a staggered leveling system, like AD&D, where different classes advance according to different XP tables. However, it is a good gauge for me to see where characters should be at certain points of the adventure.

One battle I've been putting together is a fight with some Lightning Bugs who appear in waves. That is, combat starts out against three bugs, and then in the second round three more appear! And in round three... you guessed it, another three of the critters show up. This can be potentially overwhelming even for an experienced party. These pests have a healthy amount of hitpoints, are immune to fire and electricity, and have numerous attacks. It's a pretty good challenge, and also an optional encounter.

Here is the initial setup, with party probably thinking, three Lightning Bugs isn't that bad.

PvNempr.jpg

And then in Round 2, three more show up. By this point, half the party has been knocked out. It went downhill quick because the monsters kept resisting our Ranger's web spell.

f2zQvum.jpg

Anyway, that's just a sample of some of the fun that awaits in Saldanus. I'm sure there will be more trouble for the party as I continue building throughout the new year.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Last month I started work on the interior locations in the Saldanus city adventure from Hearkenwold. This includes a multi-level bell tower the party can explore. I need to finish setting up encounters here, and then move on to the other buildings that are accessible.

oeX4SGV.jpg

While this is going to be the focus over the next couple of months, I still have more outdoor events on the map and NPC interactions, which I will be returning to. And speaking of encounters, I wanted to mention that this new content is being designed for a party with 10th level characters. Based on feedback I received from people playing the KotC2 version, that is the level characters currently seem to finish at. This follows closely with the IceBlink version, where the test party I am running has a 10th level Thief. The IceBlink version of the module does use a staggered leveling system, like AD&D, where different classes advance according to different XP tables. However, it is a good gauge for me to see where characters should be at certain points of the adventure.

One battle I've been putting together is a fight with some Lightning Bugs who appear in waves. That is, combat starts out against three bugs, and then in the second round three more appear! And in round three... you guessed it, another three of the critters show up. This can be potentially overwhelming even for an experienced party. These pests have a healthy amount of hitpoints, are immune to fire and electricity, and have numerous attacks. It's a pretty good challenge, and also an optional encounter.

Here is the initial setup, with party probably thinking, three Lightning Bugs isn't that bad.

PvNempr.jpg

And then in Round 2, three more show up. By this point, half the party has been knocked out. It went downhill quick because the monsters kept resisting our Ranger's web spell.

f2zQvum.jpg

Anyway, that's just a sample of some of the fun that awaits in Saldanus. I'm sure there will be more trouble for the party as I continue building throughout the new year.

do you always make it in iceblink first, before porting it to kotc2 engine?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Last updates are looking juicy. Gonna wait for a couple more before either picking it back up from when I finished it or restarting altogether (wanna try that psionicist quest line).

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm continuing work on the interior maps of Saldanus, the coastal city that will be featured in the next version of the Hearkenwold campaign. One location the party can visit is an inn known as The Glittering Fountain. It is characterized by rich wood panels and flooring, carpeted in blue.

4Amrom8.jpg

I noticed in the previous updates, the combats showcased involve homogenous groups, monster stacks such as hill giants, black puddings and lightning bugs. However, there are plenty of battles with diverse opponents. Here is one example of a fight with some scoundrels including magic-users and clerics. This encounter is not automatic, rather it was provoked by the party's actions.

iEG0bpU.jpg

I've also been doing tilework on the rooftops of some of the other buildings. These are described as having an imbricate style, per the narration below.

CFbc0UP.jpg

This appearance will manifest when the characters get into combat on the top of the roof. I found some nice red tiles, with the design I was looking for, and added them along the perimeter of the combat map. The center area I kept lighter squares for better readability in battle. So it is more like the red imbricate tiles are used as trimming.

Here, a couple of manticores have landed on the roof, backed by spellcasters. The flying man-faced lions come with six ranged attacks, to represent launching a volley of tail spikes.

5W5KSjn.jpg

For the rest of this month, I'm going to try to get as much done on the indoor locations. Then I will start on the city's sewer levels in March. That will probably take me through the spring, and hopefully I can finish up for a June release.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
This month I am finally going to start on the sewer levels under the city of Saldanus, which is the next part of the ongoing Hearkenwold adventure. So I will have more to share about that in the next update. In the meantime, however, over the past few weeks I was continuing work on the interior areas.

In this building, here is an example of using a spell in the party's arsenal to get past a blocked door.

ZEsmmxG.jpg

A character who has an appropriate fire based spell will get the dialogue option accordingly.

mROWxTK.jpg

Elsewhere in another location, the party runs into a wizard with his minotaur bodyguard and a pair of gorgons. The petrifying breath of the gorgon in the IceBlink engine manifests itself as a Hold spell. In the battle below, our paladin was able to make a saving throw to avoid the effects. But our cleric was also able to cast a Hold spell of his own on the other bull-like monster, the minotaur.

jxUbjc6.jpg

Another battle with a new enemy type: weretigers. They have a chance to cause disease on a successful hit.

NGOST4G.jpg

I plan to be working on the sewer areas and associated content through the month of April. Then I will have to return to places that were left uncompleted. There will be encounters, conversations and other miscellaneous items to added to the module, and also more testing. But I'm still hopeful to have it released by the end of June.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom