Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hearkenwold - an IceBlink and DC engine Campaign

Dorateen

Arcane
Dorateen
I looked at the map editor a couple of times and searched for assets like already made maps I'd only have to resize, while there is some good ones, making a module with more than 5 maps with those would lead very inconsistent art.
On the other hand, making good looking maps with the editor doesn't seem possible either without a handful of extra assets.

I agree, art inconsistency can be an issue, but I would rather sacrifice graphic fidelity for variety, that is more than five maps. So a builder would generally have to cobble together different graphic sets if they want to create many varied maps. I am using the IceBlink tilemapper, which I then load a map into the toolset. Maps can be further refined in the toolset, which allows adding props and new tiles if needed.

Here's a couple of links for tile assets that were shared last year:

edit: Links are no longer active. It was a collection of Dungeon Crawl Soup assets that were made available on opengameart.org

And yes, I am working from a blueprint when designing any part of the adventure. I imagine this is not much of a concern for smaller modules. And the way I have structured the campaign, it's like a series of connected adventures, so it is not too much of a hassle.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And yes, I am working from a blueprint when designing any part of the adventure. I imagine this is not much of a concern for smaller modules. And the way I have structured the campaign, it's like a series of connected adventures, so it is not too much of a hassle.

Well, I suppose I could live with inconsistent art and ultimately, I'm sure something as big as Hearkenwold is out of reach as I would start from scratch.

Even if it had to be a small scale adventure, I like complexity like making choices that matter and multiple quest resolutions and it seems hard to keep track of that in the editor.
If it's not a secret, it'd be nice to see one of your blueprint to get an idea on how to organize things on paper or on excel since i never did something like that, here on in private if you don't want to show the world how it's done.

Dorateen

Arcane
If it's not a secret, it'd be nice to see one of your blueprint to get an idea on how to organize things on paper or on excel since i never did something like that, here on in private if you don't want to show the world how it's done.

Well, by blueprint, I mean for example with Edinmoor, it was a module I already built some time ago. So I have that up on the computer while I am working in the IceBlink engine. Same with Hamhock, and a number of the guild quests. But you're right, for any fresh content, external documents for note taking and maps would be helpful.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, by blueprint, I mean for example with Edinmoor, it was a module I already built some time ago. So I have that up on the computer while I am working in the IceBlink engine. Same with Hamhock, and a number of the guild quests. But you're right, for any fresh content, external documents for note taking and maps would be helpful.

I should probably harass a dev or two to get some info/tools i could use.

Dorateen

Arcane

I should probably harass a dev or two to get some info/tools i could use.

Just another thought worth mentioning: a builder could take an existing PnP module and recreate that in the toolset. This way, maps and encounters and most details are already there to reference. These kind of 2D engines are always good for PnP conversions.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It always sucks when links go inactive.
Which engine do you like constructing with the best:
Iceblink, FRUA, Dungeon Craft?

Which do you enjoy playing? I never did run DC. I should watch a few vids on it.

Dorateen

Arcane
Which engine do you like constructing with the best:
Iceblink, FRUA, Dungeon Craft?

Which do you enjoy playing?

I enjoy working in IceBlink the best. I would have liked to continue with FRUA, but eventually you run into engine limitations, which made it unsuitable for a project such as this.

I do love first person exploration and Gold Box combat, so I always enjoy playing FRUA.

The Knights of the Chalice 2 editor is also very good, and right up there in terms of building and playing.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'll probably use a couple of sheets of paper, one folder per map, one crude reproduction of it with numbers, "one" sheet to write notes about this numbers (points of interests, monsters, npc) and something for links between them, then a master folder for quests linking interesting points from different maps.

Just thinking about it already gives me a headache, it'll probably be small enough so it's manageable.

Let's see if I can pull this off.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Dorateen's suggestion about taking a pre-existing module, like Pierre did for KOTC1, makes a lot of sense. That way you'll get the experience in implementing everything without worrying about the content, and the next time you can work on your own og stuff with the tool experience under your belt.

There are short or even one-shot AD&D modules like The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh that (I guess) shouldn't be too hard to adapt.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Dorateen's suggestion about taking a pre-existing module, like Pierre did for KOTC1, makes a lot of sense. That way you'll get the experience in implementing everything without worrying about the content, and the next time you can work on your own og stuff with the tool experience under your belt.

There are short or even one-shot AD&D modules like The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh that (I guess) shouldn't be too hard to adapt.

I didn't answer to this because it's not my thing, I love that people do this and even masterfully sometimes but it'd bore me to death and i'm 99% sure i wouldn't complete it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is there a DungeonCraft thread or thread in game construction in general?

I did try KOTB on ACS. It was fun with some ad-lib in places.

Dorateen

Arcane
I was able to finish the second dungeon ahead of schedule last month. Now that doesn't mean I will complete the remaining areas in Edinmoor by the end of April. The last dungeon is another expansive affair made up of interconnected maps. It is the largest of the adventure and should take the longest to build. I'll also want to do more testing when that is done, so more likely I will release the updated module closer to June.

Here is a sneak peek at the ground floor of a tower known as the Soth Tarnel. It is described as a once mighty fortress now tomb to honor the fallen defenders of a forgotten town. The dungeon's construction makes use of the height mapping feature to create platforms and levels, such as a sunken zone of murky water and stairs leading higher still to the door above.

6kJ82it.jpg

Frost Giants make their first appearance in Hearkenwold. They are chilly bastards and can hit like a ton of bricks.

KxOM5ND.jpg

Most of the traps in Hearkenwold are designed to hurt the party if set off, either dealing direct damage or casting an offensive spell like fireball. For something different, this one will attempt to drain spell points if it is not successfully disarmed. Each party member gets a saving throw, but it could be a nightmare for magic-using characters. I'm sure the thief doesn't care.

ZJ0jlYq.jpg

Finally, here is a view of the mountain wilderness map I also worked on last month. Not a very inviting place, with a reputation as the Canyon of the Dead.

KeN0Ioy.jpg

I am looking forward to add this content into the IceBlink version of the campaign. Afterward I will begin its inclusion into Knights of the Chalice 2. Edinmoor will be like releasing a self-contained new adventure that exists in the gameworld.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm nearing completion of the Edinmoor update for Hearkenwold. Last month I was working on the final dungeon of the adventure, a complex known as the Anvil of Time. I was able to get about halfway through, and expect everything to be in place over the next few weeks. But what exactly is the Anvil of Time? This NPC explains:

A2TJHlS.jpg

From a design perspective, the dungeon contains multiple levels of interconnected maps. Here is a glimpse of exploring one section of the floor.

pvay3Iu.jpg

The blue plus symbol in the top left corner of character portraits is the indication they are ready to gain a level. There will be plenty of opportunities to accumulate experience.

Here are some new monsters the party will get familiar with. These winged reptile creatures have four attacks per round, and their first action will be to cast a spell that increases their armor class.

764UT4C.jpg

New ammunition:

Kff0OGv.jpg

After the dungeon is built, I have only some epilogue conversations to finish. There are a few characters who will have reactivity dialogues if the party returns to speak with them.

I should be able to release the new version of the module by the beginning of June.

Dorateen

Arcane
I have a new version of Hearkenwold available for IceBlink. Now included in the campaign is the self-contained Edinmoor adventure. The file can be downloaded here:

Hearkenwold

I am still working with build 203 of the IceBlink engine, so the compressed file is numbered 203.1, accordingly. If anyone already has 203 downloaded, they just need to copy the module folder and replace the earlier one. As previously, saves will transfer over, for any games in progress.

Here is a friendly greeting from an NPC.

z7HO9FY.jpg

A small cosmetic change to a pre-existing area. I swapped out the purple tiles I had used for the Amethyst Road that winds through the Dwarf Village and up to the Mountain Hall, with this new darker shade of purple from the Dungeon Crawl Soup tilesets, which the developer made available.

2lLBN1X.jpg

New players launching the module for the first time can find Edinmoor through exploration. For anyone who is familiar with the setting, the new areas can be found near the mountains, and directly west of the Slaughtered Lamb Tavern. I've updated the interconnected world map to include the new locations:

kDjZeCQ.jpg

Edinmoor was originally designed as suitable for 7th level characters. Due to the open nature of the Hearkenwold campaign, it is entirely possible to arrive there much sooner. Then it is only a matter of survival.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I'd like to share an update about some of the stuff I've been working on in the IceBlink engine for the continuation of the ongoing Hearkenwold campaign.

There are three objectives that will form the basis of the next version of the module to be released:
  • Continue the main adventure arc past the event where the current module ends
  • Include additional wilderness content along the river
  • Add a Psionicist themed adventure
Continuing the adventure, which the campaign is centered around, will require higher level encounters. And it will only be accessible to players who have persevered to reach that far. This part will also take me the longest to complete, as the party still has quite a journey ahead of them.

The river adventure, however, will be designed for mid-level characters and something players can interact with earlier. I also want to expand the map of the gameworld, building new areas that will extend the river further east. This is what I have been working on for the past month. The characters will now have the opportunity to travel on the River Astar, if only they can find a way to do it. Fortunately, this friendly looking gentleman might be able to help.

15xmQ7p.jpg

Now here is the neat part. The IceBlink engine includes scripts that allow the token representing the party on the adventuring screen to be toggled and changed into any image. In this case, if the player is able to secure the services of the boatman, the character sprite will be switched to a river boat, able to sail the waters! To demonstrate the party moving in "boat" form, below is an animated image. Check out the rain, and the little waves, which make an otherwise static 2d map more dynamic.

4oVvtou.gif

Finally, you cannot have a river adventure without sahuagin! Here is a battle with some of the aquatic monsters who have the party in a vulnerable position.

pcdT1DU.jpg

Looking ahead to when I recreate this content in Knights of the Chalice 2, I would probably transfer just the party leader when it comes time to enter the river tiles. If combat occurs, the full party will appear again on the separate battle map, and then transition to just the leader upon returning to the river tiles. This is because it is really best navigated by a single character sprite/token. As far as I know, the KotC2 Module Editor does not include a script to change the player to a token, even a specific token like a boat. I'll give this matter further consideration at that time.

As I mentioned, for the past few weeks, I have been concentrating around the river maps with other appropriate encounters. I still have a little more to do, but for the month of October I am going to turn toward the Psionicist adventure.

This was an idea that was suggested to me last year with the release of the Knights of the Chalice 2 version. It was requested the possibility of a guild quest for Psionicist characters. I like the idea, and in fact have already included reference to a once seventh organization that was cast out of the Sphere of Guilds because of their questionable practices and mind "experiments". The new adventure will take the party to a location where they can perhaps interact with a high ranking mentalist. Now in the IceBlink version, Hearkenwold does not include a specialized class for characters with psionic powers. So it will probably be an alternative path for Wizards to take, if they wish to pursue that route for a guild membership.

Lastly, I will approach the higher level content that advances the main adventure closer toward the end of the year. I am not sure how long all of this will take to put together, but going by previous schedules, I might have the new module ready by the summer of 2023.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I wrapped up the end of the year continuing work on Hearkenwold with the Psionicist adventure and some more encounters along the river wilderness maps. The latter includes a new location for the party to stumble upon. It's one of those random, out-of-the way spots that can be found through exploration, and brings some depth to the gameworld. There is no specific mission that points the player in this direction, it is simply a place that exists waiting to be discovered. I will still need to revisit this content to finalize these areas, but in the meantime, here are some screenshots.

MEIA9BJ.jpg

The prose below is the middle stanza of the poetry reference in this descriptive text.

4s7oZvG.jpg

QvIN8eH.jpg

Crossing paths with an interdimensional bounty hunter.

keSrvYb.jpg

This narration screen helps set the scene. As I posted a while back, there is actual boat travel along the water tiles with the player's token toggled accordingly.

c5Lwa41.jpg

An intelligent character can correctly identify these river trolls as Scrags.

T82HGJp.jpg

Finally, here is a nasty encounter with an assorted group of monsters including Drowned Zombies. They release a noxious stench, which takes form as a stinking cloud.

QDWjHHd.jpg

I ran through some areas of the Psionicist dungeon yesterday with a higher level party, one that completed all the guild quests. And there were still fights that were a bit tricky. This location however can be accessed at any time, which should prove a considerable challenge for less experienced characters.

While I will need to return and complete the last few details of this content, the focus going into the new year will be on advancing the primary adventure. This is the path that opens for persistent players who have made it as far. I will be using a small desert town as a starting point. With everything I have planned, the intention is to have a new version of the module available by the summer.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nice clouds. I don't think I've seen that before.
The IceBlink engine now has the ability to set weather effects on maps. These are based on the seasons, and I went through the outdoor areas to include rain, snow and clouds. There is also a sandstorm effect that is used on desert maps.

I see that the engine is still developed which is nice but really, outside of you is there anybody actually using it to make serious project?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom