Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo - Old school RPG inspired by W7 and EoB

Contagium

Savant
Patron
The gameplay videos are a great idea. It's what got me so excited for Grimoire, and I'm already excited for Mystic Land. Maybe something showing character creation and then a few minutes of exploration, nothing too long but just enough for a tease? Some music from the game, too

pmnw

Literate
You are a friendly and likable dev and your game is a glimmer of hope desperately needed in the current landscape. I'm really happy it is being made.

Asking out of curiosity than anything else, is your game dependent on Microsoft technologies? I presume this is Windows-only? What language are you writing it in?

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
You are a friendly and likable dev and your game is a glimmer of hope desperately needed in the current landscape. I'm really happy it is being made.

Asking out of curiosity than anything else, is your game dependent on Microsoft technologies? I presume this is Windows-only? What language are you writing it in?
Thank you!

Game is not dependent on any Microsoft tech.
It uses our own engine (written in C) and is actually developed on a Mac ;)

We hope to release versions for Windows, Mac and Linux.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Hey guys, just wanted to share a small screenshot from the area I'm working on, as I'm very excited about this one.

This is a magical maze created by Alchemist Phelonto.
Very hard to access (but you need to) and easy to get lost in (there's a catch - automap doesn't work here as the magic is preventing your characters to map the area, no matter how high their Mapping skill).

Note also, that the wall tileset is still WIP (still a few blurred places here and there) and worked on by the artist (I got these as placeholder so I can put together the area). But as I said, I just wanted to share a screenshot of this place as it's my personal top 5 place in Mystic Land for sure (many surprises await here for you ;) ).

maze-360.png

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Hey SirBlabsAlot, it is already 2024! Were's da game?
"End of" 2024 ;)
And even that is not a promise.

We will really try to release this game as polished as possible and as bug free as possible (though, for the positive I can say that all the story, quests and events are finalized and we know exactly what must be done to finish the game - no "feature or content creep" will happen here) ;)

We're planning to release a demo sometimes in the near future - so you will be able to "test drive" the game and see if it's something worth waiting for you.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
It uses our own engine (written in C
Interesting. Why not C++? Thought was usually the standard.
Just a personal preference.
I'm an old school programmer (started with Basic, then went on to Z80 and x86 assembly, to C/C++ ...), and (for game programming) I like C the most.
Also helps that the cross-platform library we are using for Graphics / Sound is written in C.

Ysaye

Arbiter

Thank you!

Game is not dependent on any Microsoft tech.
It uses our own engine (written in C) and is actually developed on a Mac ;)

We hope to release versions for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Awesome - Steam Deck compliant then!

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
I just uploaded another short "sneak-peek" preview of one of the areas that awaits you in Mystic Land.
It's a Forest of Eternal Snow. The place where freezing temperatures never end and snowfall is very common, so the snow never really melts away completely.

We also added a subtle "weather animation" that, at least in my opinion, creates a real feeling that you are walking through a freezing land.

If everything goes as planned, then I will have a first longer gameplay video available for you very soon (first 5-10 minutes when you start the game, including battles, one secret, etc...)

Viata

Arcane
cross-platform library we are using for Graphics / Sound is written in C
SDL?

I'm actually using Raylib.
Very lightweight, basic gfx/sound library with no bloat. Very underrated and underused in my opinion.

Link: https://www.raylib.com
Raylib is pretty good and far easier to use compared to SDL. Although, I have used it both for C and C++ without any problem. I assume SDL because it is the default graphics library for C.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
SDL?

Very lightweight, basic gfx/sound library with no bloat. Very underrated and underused in my opinion.

Raylib is pretty good and far easier to use compared to SDL. Although, I have used it both for C and C++ without any problem. I assume SDL because it is the default graphics library for C.
I used SDL a few times before, but for Mystic Land, I chose Raylib because I like it more than SDL actually (but found out about it just a few years ago).
And as you said - it's made so it doesn't get in your way of programming.

Here are basic functions that do this and that - use them as you see fit.
I like it :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Woah someone knows that snow is blue and trees and sky can be colorful and stuf and so can be gamesf :happytrollboy:

negator2vc

Scholar
SDL?

Raylib is awesome. As you said very lightweight and it contains both gfx/sound in the core library.
Way better in my opinion than SDL. Great API.
Best of all by default is static lib which for me is important especially for non windows OS.
I have a custom engine (just in case Godot - my main game engine - go full stupid mode ;)) that use Raylib for the system layer along with LUA for scripting layer!

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer
Hey all,

As I promised, here is the first "Gameplay video" for Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo.
We create a character, a party and go explore the first dungeon (jail) for around 10 minutes. No editing - pure game footage.

Of course, pleas note that this is still early Pre-Alpha version and should be treated as such.
Nothing in this video should be considered "polished" or "final".There are still some things missing (music, some sfx, graphics...), there are a few placeholders used in this video and the sound mixing is, well, non-existent.

This video was made so you can see how the game will look and play when it's released (hopefully by the end of this year).
Let me know what you think and if you want us to continue making gameplay videos.

There are 2 minor spoilers in the video (search related) so if that bothers you, do not watch it ;)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Not bad. I like the munsters going 'poof' as they die :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom