Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Darkness Below Lightens Up to Early Access on Steam

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Sabbas Eleftheriadis; The Darkenss Below

Steam has your first chance to snag The Darkness Below for those interested in partaking in a bit of the old blobber style CRPG. It'll set you back around $13 for this fine looking pixel dungeon crawl. Here's a bit of the description:

Embark on an epic journey into The Darkness Below, a cRPG that pays homage to the golden era of 90's cRPGs. With grid-based movement, turn-based combat, and 2.5D perspective, the game transports you to a vast and colorful fantasy world filled with puzzles, exotic creatures, forgotten dungeons and ancient guardians.

Drawing inspiration from Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, and Might and Magic 3-5, this retro adventure seamlessly blends classic cRPG elements with D&D mechanics, where your choices truly shape your destiny. Dive into a rich and immersive world filled with monsters, npcs, skill trainers, intricate dialogues and meaningful interactions.
[/media]

I'm really digging that UI with the little mini-map in the corner. I remember playing Dungeon Master as a kid and having to use graph paper because my sense of direction in that game was absolutely not up to the task. That's when I discovered my map making also wasn't up to the task. Now we have mini-maps.

Oh yeah, and there's a discussion right here about the game with lots of eye candy.​

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
This reminded me of the Dark Lord Beholder guy, with the pixel art plagiarism and the mixing of incompatible styles, what a hilarious thread that was.

Re this game, not crazy about the art style but it looks functional, I guess. The characters' black outlines are atrocious tho.

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Among the top three blobbers I'm looking forward to.
Mystic Land is the second, I guess. What's the third? The Quest 2? Monomyth? I guess they are real time so fuck that for me.

Was there any decent non-anime party turn based blobber since Grimorie?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Inventory needs work but otherwise looks good. Wish Id saw more tilesets and enemies

Re this game, not crazy about the art style but it looks functional, I guess. The characters' black outlines are atrocious tho.

Ive seen worse tbh

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm going to buy this today; I also never buy early access games but I very much want to contribute to games like this being made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom