Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hey hey people, it's the SsethTzeentach thread

Eisen

Learned
Dungeon Siege II seems interesting unlike DS1

Lhynn

Arcane
Not sold on DSII, the bossfights look like youd encounter in your standard western mmo. And the gameplay itself looks rather janky.

Perkel

Arcane
Both DS1 and DS2 are shite. Played it back in the day and it was first foray of Microsoft into ARPGs after D2 success. DS1 though is much better than DS2. At least it had amazing soundtrack by Jeremy Soule so while playing this shite you can at least listen to good tunes.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I nearly choked from the line about "shapeshifting hassidics". I fucking hate those rats, those tunnels are the only parts of the game where it is impossible to avoid damage.

That Dizzy game fucking broke me. 3 lives for about 20 hour game with pixel perfect platforming and mentioned adventure bring X to Y. I spend like half a year trying to beat it and eventually gave up after my mom once switched off pegasus for the night (chinese nes knockoff without saving capability)
Does any version even have save games? I played the NES, Amiga and Megadrive ones and those didn't.

Also it is not 20 hours long, it's like 3 hours long at most last I played it, and that was the 300 star megadrive version where I played it about two years ago during a spare evening once kids went to sleep, and managed to lose all lives on that fucking wizard at the end. The final boss requires some ridiculous due to the shitty controls/physics platforming.

Perkel

Arcane
I nearly choked from the line about "shapeshifting hassidics". I fucking hate those rats, those tunnels are the only parts of the game where it is impossible to avoid damage.

That Dizzy game fucking broke me. 3 lives for about 20 hour game with pixel perfect platforming and mentioned adventure bring X to Y. I spend like half a year trying to beat it and eventually gave up after my mom once switched off pegasus for the night (chinese nes knockoff without saving capability)
Does any version even have save games? I played the NES, Amiga and Megadrive ones and those didn't.

Also it is not 20 hours long, it's like 3 hours long at most last I played it, and that was the 300 star megadrive version where I played it about two years ago during a spare evening once kids went to sleep, and managed to lose all lives on that fucking wizard at the end. The final boss requires some ridiculous due to the shitty controls/physics platforming.

How the fuck you can finish such game in 3 hours when you have literally 250 stars + puzzles + platforming. If you even divide minutes by stars it means you need to get 250/180=1.2 stars per minute which is about star every 40 seconds.
And that's not counting redos where just going wrong way can get you stuck or kill you and you need to start all over again.

Never had NES but i know there were saves in FF games. Maybe this was cartrige thing as those had their own batteries and memory.

Hellraiser

Arcane
How the fuck you can finish such game in 3 hours when you have literally 250 stars + puzzles + platforming. If you even divide minutes by stars it means you need to get 250/180=1.2 stars per minute which is about star every 40 seconds.
And that's not counting redos where just going wrong way can get you stuck or kill you and you need to start all over again.

Never had NES but i know there were saves in FF games. Maybe this was cartrige thing as those had their own batteries and memory.

NES version never had a save battery, in fact if you notice none of the battery save or famicom disk system games were pirated and sold in bazaars in Poland (SMB3, Zelda 1 and 2, Final Fantasy, Metroid). Although Dizzy was actually distributed legally (well as legally as Codemasters did NES games back then, I think they didn't have an actual license from nintendo for micro machines, dizzy etc. and had some anti-piracy bypass in the NES carts of their games). Also megadrive speed run is under an hour (unsurprisingly it's done by some polish dude):

40 seconds per star is not unreasonable, they're everywhere and the game isn't that big. It's only the damn town that is confusing and easy to get lost in and lose time so it seems larger, but that's because the NES version does not have the town map in the tunnels at the top of the screen which the megadrive does (and I assume the amiga one also has that map, I never played the amiga one that long but the megadrive and amiga versions are almost the same from what I played, bar loading times).

Beastro

Arcane
Both DS1 and DS2 are shite. Played it back in the day and it was first foray of Microsoft into ARPGs after D2 success. DS1 though is much better than DS2. At least it had amazing soundtrack by Jeremy Soule so while playing this shite you can at least listen to good tunes.

DS1 is bland and has long tracks and boring and annoying parts, especially the goblin area.

DS2 threw that out and went for fun combat, silliness and better loot focus. It's not a great game, but like a solid fast food burger and it knows it is.

Funny thing about it is I don't remember the boss fights being that hard besides how annoying the ballista cooldown was.

Perkel

Arcane
>40 seconds per star is not unreasonable

It is absolutely unreasonable. The very fact that you can only have 3 items at one time with some being used in widely different places means ton of time spent on figuring out how to get somewhere with what item. Sometimes like in SSETH video those puzzles don't make much sense.

And that's on top of pretty hard platformer with ONLY 3 LIVES.

Even if you know everything like back of your hand we are talking about multiple hours and you still can fail at any time by bad luck.

Beastro

Arcane
Keep in mind the difference between playing a game like this as an adult and playing a game like this as a kid.

If I saw how people speed run Super Metroid in 1994 it would've completely blown my mind given how long it took me to finish the game back in the day.

Hellraiser

Arcane
>40 seconds per star is not unreasonable

It is absolutely unreasonable. The very fact that you can only have 3 items at one time with some being used in widely different places means ton of time spent on figuring out how to get somewhere with what item. Sometimes like in SSETH video those puzzles don't make much sense.
I mean sure, if you're playing it for the first time and figuring it out as you go (expeially with a very basic mastery of the English vocabulary at the age of 8 or 9) this is true. But the game has such a strict linear order to progress that eventually you will get to the point where you can get to the end in under 3 hours, because you simply know you need to get X after Y and can leave Z on the ground somewhere convenient. Again the speed run is about 40 minutes long without any bug-abuse as far as I can tell, I could get to the end in 3 hours after a few evenings of game overs two years ago (after at least 10+ years since I last played it and did beat it, although back then emulated with save states).

I can understand the surprise because years ago I stumbled on a playthrough video of this that was also just like an hour and half long or similar and I was shocked it was that short. These games often felt longer as kids, I guess due to time perception changing with age.

Perkel

Arcane
Keep in mind the difference between playing a game like this as an adult and playing a game like this as a kid.

If I saw how people speed run Super Metroid in 1994 it would've completely blown my mind given how long it took me to finish the game back in the day.

Dude as 8 year old kid i could do no hit runs in most of games i got on "pegasus" (that nes copycat). That is because back then you only could get 1-2 games for half a year and this is what you played to death. And design of games back then was pretty hardcore with developers making hard games so that they can't be beat fast. Fuck I even learned basic japanese as a fucking kid because i played white labbeled captain tsubasa which was in japanese:

Speedruning is entirely different thing and no one should ever point it out as proof of anything. And yes I am talking about no glitch runs.

Beastro

Arcane

Dude as 8 year old kid i could do no hit runs in most of games i got on "pegasus" (that nes copycat). That is because back then you only could get 1-2 games for half a year and this is what you played to death. And design of games back then was pretty hardcore with developers making hard games so that they can't be beat fast. Fuck I even learned basic japanese as a fucking kid because i played white labbeled captain tsubasa which was in japanese:

Speedruning is entirely different thing and no one should ever point it out as proof of anything. And yes I am talking about no glitch runs.

Then load ol' Dizzy up and check it out again, sire!

Perkel

Arcane
I mean sure, if you're playing it for the first time and figuring it out as you go (expeially with a very basic mastery of the English vocabulary at the age of 8 or 9) this is true.

I mean what other way you think people play ? If you ask me how much time it took you to beat Baldur's Gate 2 I don't answer "well about 4 hours" because I don't think about my best run after spending nearly 700 hours with it, i talk always about my first run because that is relatable and comparable.

There no way in any shape or form to beat dizzy in 3 hours when you start fresh playing it. And game barely had any english to begin with. The real timewaster was figuring out puzzles as in game with only 3 lives not figuring quick puzzle means that you can die running about with items and starting all over again.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I mean what other way you think people play ? If you ask me how much time it took you to beat Baldur's Gate 2 I don't answer well about 4 hours because I don't think about my best run after spending nearly 700 hours with it, i talk always about my first run because that is relatable and comparable.

But what is even a first run in the case of a game where you get a game over and need to start over? The successful one where you beat the game, after you already make X attempts, learn some puzzles and get better at the game? Or do you think in such a case you should count all the attempts leading to the first success together?

Perkel

Arcane
I mean what other way you think people play ? If you ask me how much time it took you to beat Baldur's Gate 2 I don't answer well about 4 hours because I don't think about my best run after spending nearly 700 hours with it, i talk always about my first run because that is relatable and comparable.

Or do you think in such a case you should count all the attempts leading to the first success together?
Yes ? How else are you going to explain someone how long you played something to beat it ?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Nymphomania Priestess is indeed a slop, don't recommend. Too much annoying grind. The dev is in full patreon milking mode wasting time on stuff that wasn't broken so full release never.
Tales of Androgyny has a surprisingly interesting and involving combat system and a nice character creation. This game is in a perpetual early access since like 2017? Full release never too.
Still waiting for that Warlords Battlecry video:love:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Don't know who Lia is, but she sounds like an interesting person. I'll investigate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom