Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Not Many FPS's Fulfill the Power Fantasy

n0denz

Novice
Doom 2016 and FEAR come the closest, and it took me awhile to figure out why. In Doom, Doom clones, and arena shooters, a lot comes down to positioning and ultimately not getting hit. I don't think FPS's that aim to be power fantasies should have the player dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge unless dodging is a core mechanic e.g. Max Payne. For me, I stop feeling powerful the moment I have to start running backwards. What kind of badass runs away? When a pinkie is charging me, I don't want to strafe backwards. I want to continue moving forward somehow.

Ash

Arcane
Put all the cigarettes in this guy's urinals. What kind of beta bitch signature is that? Same for the thread. Power fantasy requires struggle and challenge for there to be real payoff. The action hero always goes through turmoil, close calls, gets an ass kicking at times, and then the ultimate victory in the end is that much sweeter. Without risk there is no reward. Many FPS deliver power fantasy just fine, just not for pussbois.

Now if we condense the lameness down to the fact that backpedalling is indeed often the superior tactic - nothing can be done about it outside of locking the player in arenas (which classic FPS often do, but doing that all the time is lame as it kills genuine level design), slower backpedal than sidestrafe or forward momentum (some do this), behind the player monster closets (again, this is done from time to time), or an enemy type designed to specifically punish it (not done: say uses a grappling hook if you're past a certain distance, or teleports behind you). The latter being something worth exploring perhaps.

Last edited:

rumSaint

Novice
You can always lower difficulty settings.
wolfeasy.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Too bad that shit Nu Wolfenstien shit is as beta and spineless as it gets in overall design! They dont get to mock people and call them babies. Partial regen health, linear asf level design, objective markers, endless lame braindead set piece-driven gameplay, pseudo-intellectual story crap and then some. This crap game is already forgotten.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Too bad that shit Nu Wolfenstien shit is as beta and spineless as it gets in overall design! They dont get to mock people and call them babies. Partial regen health, linear asf level design, objective markers, endless lame braindead set piece-driven gameplay, pseudo-intellectual story crap and then some. This crap game is already forgotten.
I rather liked The Old Blood...
They learned their lessons well from THE KING - Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Ash

Arcane
They learned their lessons well from THE KING - Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Merely good for what it is :smug: Definitely one of the best military-themed singleplayer shooters that's for sure, but of course that isn't saying much.

I didn't play Old Blood.

ferratilis

Magister
The power fantasy comes from overcoming adversity, not mowing down droves of enemies waiting to be slaughtered. Git gud.

GamerCat_

Educated
Power Fantasy was a projection of retards and women that was embraced retroactively by certain idiots, who still mostly didn't think to build games around that and instead opted for BADASS shitty guitar music.

If you want a real power fantasy, like with everything else Japan has you covered (games about rape).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Doom 2016 and FEAR come the closest, and it took me awhile to figure out why. In Doom, Doom clones, and arena shooters, a lot comes down to positioning and ultimately not getting hit. I don't think FPS's that aim to be power fantasies should have the player dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge unless dodging is a core mechanic e.g. Max Payne. For me, I stop feeling powerful the moment I have to start running backwards. What kind of badass runs away? When a pinkie is charging me, I don't want to strafe backwards. I want to continue moving forward somehow.

try Serious Sam or Painkiller if you want to feel "powerful"

but even then its impossible to steamroll everything...

Fargus

Arcane
I just like shooting stuff.

Also FEAR is special to me because it nails the feeling of Hard Boiled and some other John Woo movies in first person. You play FEAR for the beauty of action itself.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I like to think that both nu Doom games were an attempt to introduce zoomers who never played the original Doom 1 and 2 to Doom...
Hell, I like even Doom 3 better than nu Doom.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Hell, I like even Doom 3 better than nu Doom.

Maybe I agree but they are totally different though

Doom 3 is like a poor man's Half Life (horror shooter)

nu Doom is like Serious Sam 3 from 2012 (arena shooter with a killcam)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom