Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Broken Roads Released

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Some of the reviews were "revealing" to say the least:

The Victorian Government contributed to the funding through its Assigned Production Investment Games program, as part of a larger initiative that distributed $550,000 across ten projects (Happy Mag). Meanwhile, Screen Queensland, representing the Queensland Government, allocated more than $1 million in total development funding for seven digital games projects, including "Broken Roads."

How dare you charge $31 for 7 hours of game play after receiving such grants.

The whole game was a scheme lmao
They're also required to follow the Victorian governments diversity policy which might explain why it has the stink of the woke about it.
g.jpg

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
No surprises here. Good on an indie team for trying I guess.

As an Australian in what you would call the 'arts industry' this is frustrsting as hell because we basically dont have such a thing (as a creative arts industry). From the reviews it looks like they tried and failed, something I see all too often with the lack of any infrastructure for games like this here. Mobile trash? No worries. Take a risk on a real game? Git farked mate.

Then again it also grinds my gears knowing that with ten minutes I probably could have done better at designing a narrative/world building for this. Too late now, of course, but ffs if there are any other Aussies round here thinking of doing something similar, for the love of all that is holy send me a dm!
Australians have access to the same infrastructure that every other independent game developer on the planet has access to. which is the internet and sales platforms like Steam.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Part of the problem is that after watching the game trailers, I didn't get much sense of what the game was about. It was presented as a setting without a premise. There wasn't any hook.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I just had it from the most prestigious Aussie source that the game sports local tropes such as a quote "knee high to a Quokka." or having drop bears. He said that it is cringe-worthy in a way that makes him squirm.
I suppose, that's the true main reason for mostly negative. Janky and slow progression isn't something to make a fuss of in an RPG.

Jinn

Arcane
I don't recall where I saw 7-8 hours, but I feel like I saw it a couple times. Guess I'd care more if I had any interest in playing this in the least.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
gameplay is horrible and none of the systems are well implemented.
I'm saying someone reviewing it should actually talk about these issues instead of going off on weird tangents about length and price. A lot of short pricey games do very well.

Why even care if a bad game with poor systems isn't 50 hours long and $5? You want to play even more of an awful game? You'd happily waste your time doing something you hate if it costs less? Ridiculous.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I'm saying someone reviewing it should actually talk about these issues instead of going off on weird tangents about length and price. A lot of short pricey games do very well.

Why even care if a bad game with poor systems isn't 50 hours long and $5? You want to play even more of an awful game? You'd happily waste your time doing something you hate if it costs less? Ridiculous.
The price tag is a measurement of their audacity, however.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Some of the reviews were "revealing" to say the least:

The Victorian Government contributed to the funding through its Assigned Production Investment Games program, as part of a larger initiative that distributed $550,000 across ten projects (Happy Mag). Meanwhile, Screen Queensland, representing the Queensland Government, allocated more than $1 million in total development funding for seven digital games projects, including "Broken Roads."

How dare you charge $31 for 7 hours of game play after receiving such grants.

The whole game was a scheme lmao
Sounds like your usual progressist modus operandi.

Get state funds. Deliver shit product. Blame capitalism.

Mortmal

Arcane
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...serve-more-attention-updated-jan-2020.106945/
It deserves mention there i think. Maybe too soon for commercial failure?
It was the 120th top most wishlisted game on steam. It's not obscure at all.
With Baldr's Squid Isekai at 121th, yes not obscure.
BSI didn't even break top 1000 wishlists. Probably not even 2000.

Anything within 200 has hundreds of thousands of wishlists.

They marketed this thing a lot.
Day 2, only 54 (mostly negative) reviews? That doesn't usually translate into hundreds of thousands in sales. Typically, you multiply the number of reviews by 40 to estimate the number of sales. BG3 has 530,000 reviews, and that's not even counting consoles.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'm saying someone reviewing it should actually talk about these issues instead of going off on weird tangents about length and price

Why even care if a bad game with poor systems isn't 50 hours long and $5?

I doubt anyone should seriously review this game. It was clear years ago that this is a very poor effort.

Actually whenever someone was (rightfully) criticizing this game, you or Infinitron were there to sugar coat it.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I am just surprised this game has so little combat. Apparently steam reviews claim most of the gameplay is just talking with NPCs. Combat is barebones and doesn't even occur in the first hours.

I guess this is a govt sponsored documentary about Australia (in the form of a demo of a game) but it works very poorly as an RPG. When you look at what Pierre, Styg or Cleve did, this game seems almost like an insult. Price is the same as KotC or Grimoire, but it... cannot be even compared in substance, content or gameplay

Idk why you guys even posted news about this fraud. You must be really gullible and stupid to have taken this seriously

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom