Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seems like SMT IV it will be then to ease me into the jRPG monster fusion genre. I did play a few minutes of the Digital Devil Saga series on PCSX2 a few years ago and found it good though I could feel its difficulty ramp rising.
SMT IV is good game and good entry point . I prefer SMT IV Apocalypse (better gameplay), but probably IV should be played first and has great atmosphere and a sense of dark adventure.

I wouldn't discard Nocturne as first entry. That game is a masterpiece, but more inconvenient. Less focus on Demon fusion min-maxing and more on dungeon crawling. At some points I though SMT IV had too many demons. In Nocturne, roster additions and upgrades felt more significant.

Spike

Educated
Seems like SMT IV it will be then to ease me into the jRPG monster fusion genre. I did play a few minutes of the Digital Devil Saga series on PCSX2 a few years ago and found it good though I could feel its difficulty ramp rising.
SMT IV is good game and good entry point . I prefer SMT IV Apocalypse (better gameplay), but probably IV should be played first and has great atmosphere and a sense of dark adventure.

I wouldn't discard Nocturne as first entry. That game is a masterpiece, but more inconvenient. Less focus on Demon fusion min-maxing and more on dungeon crawling. At some points I though SMT IV had too many demons. In Nocturne, roster additions and upgrades felt more significant.
Nocturne on PS2 emulator or Steam would ya say?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Haven´t played on steam. PS2 emulator was fine, but maybe steam version has advantages.

Hell Swarm

Educated

Haven´t played on steam. PS2 emulator was fine, but maybe steam version has advantages.
Remaster has fucked up lighting issues and depending on the region weird DLC (Dante/Raido switch around). Easy enough to emulate and get the proper graphics.

Sentinel

Arcane

What demon is this supposed to be? First time seeing it.

NVM: it's Cherub redesign from this

4SMvjW.jpg
Another Doi masterclass.

lightbane

Arcane
What's a good starting point in the SMT series for a newbie other than those bland looking dungeon blobbers of the first two games on NES and PSX1? III?
Digital Devil Saga is a good start. SMT 3 is good though. Strange Journey no idea if it's your alley. Devil Survivor is good for a more tactical experience (only the first one though, second game goes full anime, and the first one also suffers from this).

By the way, anyone played that Neuroheroine fangame? How is it?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's a good starting point in the SMT series for a newbie other than those bland looking dungeon blobbers of the first two games on NES and PSX1? III?
Digital Devil Saga is a good start. SMT 3 is good though. Strange Journey no idea if it's your alley. Devil Survivor is good for a more tactical experience (only the first one though, second game goes full anime, and the first one also suffers from this).

By the way, anyone played that Neuroheroine fangame? How is it?
Digital Devil Saga is cool but has no fusion mechanics. I´d not recommend as first title.

Nathir

Liturgist
What's a good starting point in the SMT series for a newbie other than those bland looking dungeon blobbers of the first two games on NES and PSX1? III? Creature fusion is not a typical mechanic of western RPGs, especially as an important strategy to win, but the japs are crazy about the idea. I tested V out in the latest Ryujinx Switch emulator build and it seems to run very well, a full smooth 60 FPS whereas I see people on the actual switch hardware complaining about framerate drops. I tested Persona 5 Royal also in emus but that game seems to go full anime retard with far too much spit and shine and I think I'd prefer the more low-key aesthetic of SMT III and V. The lastest Dragon Quest Monsters game (THe Dark Prince) also has a bewilderingly complex monster fusion system with hundreds of different monster permutations. They do love their monster melding don't they? Maybe if I could understand it it could be fun.
Start with the first game, SMT 1.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
What's a good starting point in the SMT series for a newbie other than those bland looking dungeon blobbers of the first two games on NES and PSX1? III? Creature fusion is not a typical mechanic of western RPGs, especially as an important strategy to win, but the japs are crazy about the idea. I tested V out in the latest Ryujinx Switch emulator build and it seems to run very well, a full smooth 60 FPS whereas I see people on the actual switch hardware complaining about framerate drops. I tested Persona 5 Royal also in emus but that game seems to go full anime retard with far too much spit and shine and I think I'd prefer the more low-key aesthetic of SMT III and V. The lastest Dragon Quest Monsters game (THe Dark Prince) also has a bewilderingly complex monster fusion system with hundreds of different monster permutations. They do love their monster melding don't they? Maybe if I could understand it it could be fun.
Start with the first game, SMT 1.
I played a little of SMT 1 (or maybe it was 2) with the Super Famicom version in the translated rom a few years ago but didn't care for its bland old-style blobber design with the same dull textures on all the walls until enemies pop-in in front of your during encounters. The PSX versions were like this too IIRC. I know this is a classic dungeon crawler design, and it still has it's appeal for many RPG fans today (I even was able to enjoy the Krome Studios Bard's Tale remasters myself, and Dragon Wars on my C64 many many years ago was quite excellent and it was that, along with SSI's PoR, that got me hooked on RPGs), but I just can't get into it anymore when there's more visually dynamic options out there.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Uhhh, apparently, Dagda? I think someone on YouTube fucked up.

d1r

Patron
It also seems like that the new Unclassified race demons are all fusion accidents.

Good to see Hare of Inaba making a comeback. The design is cute but without being too cutesy or pokemonish like some of the newer ones

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
SMT IV was weak and crappy. Wimpy dungeon design, lame by-the-numbers plot, ugly demon art, and way too easy. The last good one was either Nocturne or Strange Journey, but if you can't stomach SMT 1 and 2 then you ain't no Megaten fan.

d1r

Patron
Man, they almost revealed Mad Gasser on Adolf's birthday. Would have been quite the coincidence, huh?

Didn't even know that Kaneko had left Atlus.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Doi has been doing most of the demon art since SMT4. Personally I think he does a pretty good job but he admittedly isn't half as good as Kaneko.

It's sad but they seem to have enough respect to keep the kaneko designs untouched, so I'm mostly fine with it.

d1r

Patron
4291399-smtvv_20_nahobinoda'at.jpg

SMT V: Vengeance is said to add around 75 extra hours of new content and tons of new music, and represent the full vision of the original RPG
Now, what's arguably the badass part of SMT V is its soundtrack that brilliantly fuses punk, metal, synth rock, and ethereal ambient tunes with a dark tinge at every single turn. It's a key part of the series' identity and established the foundation of Atlus Sound Team's work. Kozuka said, "For Vengeance, we actually re-did about 80% of the songs that were in SMT V. We naturally ended up with that number of songs after creating songs that we thought were necessary for this work. We also created about 20 new battle themes."
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom