Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - Henry's coming to see us in 2024

agris

Arcane
Patron
do we know the quarter they are shooting for, or just 2024?

my bet is that henry comes to visit us at christmas time

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Never had a problem with this supposed "jank". Not saying it's perfect but compared to your average Bethesda game Kingcom Come felt like the mother of all AAA games.

Kingdom Come in the main suffers from having had two leads each of which had a completely different vision for the game. We have Vavra, who is big into cinematic narratives (and is surprisingly good at it), and then you have the Operation Flashpoint guy who is into simulation and being hard core and shit.

I don't know exactly how development went but it's obvious those guys each did their thing separately and there was some difficutly trying to put the two toghether. And that's pretty much it as far as i'm concerned.
Well, that's complete bullshit. You just look at someone's resumé and make assumptions. Viktor joint Operation Flashpoint late when the game mechanics were basically finished and his job was to write the story and design missions. He literally said in his podcast it was too much of a simulation for his taste and he tried to gamify it. He's also critical of new Arma games, because in his mind they rely too heavy on simulation and they are not games enough. His favorite games are Zelda and Dark Souls.

Vávra was pretty much responsible for every design decision in Mafia 1 and he put there all the simulation and hardcore stuff, that some people find tedious. Like that the old cars go slowly up the hill, you have to obey the traffic rules, racing cars are hard to control etc.

Also, KCD didn't have two leads. Vávra was the co-founder of the studio and its creative director, Viktor was just an employee and the lead technical designer. The game was Vávra's vision and he wrote the original design document. Viktor's job was to lead a team of scripters and put Vávra's ideas into code. He had creative freedom in some parts like the combat system. I think Vávra just said make it immersive, authentic to the period and easy to control on both gamepad and m&k.
Sorry to burst your bubble but this is not a correct assessment. Not gonna elaborate any further.
Time to reset you theory-crafting game, boys!

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
And if it's Smejki undercover (in his new politically correct Belgian digs), no bear jokes!
Sorry, but that's too much to bear!
I have a joke, but I am trying to remember it, so bear with me...
Bears depleted (demand is too high). We can ship you a new bear from Siberia if you want?
No.
Send it straight to Larian Company HQ at the earliest convenience!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

When a game is announced for release "this year", it's always going to be at the end of the year.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I hope it being so long in development means they didn't rush it for the Christmas release. Ready or Not was released in a completely unplayable state just so get it out in 2023.

Paul_cz

Arcane
But i mean, compare 36 million Kingdom Come versus 200 million Starfield:
just fyi budget of KCD1 was about half that, some 17 million (both dev and marketing, most of went to dev). KCD2 will have those 35 though, most likely.

Budget means nothing if you are shit. 200 million spent on starfilth and they couldn't even implement a full space model, which indie games do.

And Bethesda never had cutting edge graphics, physics, or anything really. So I dunno what they are doing with all that money.

Meanwhile, studios like Warhose and Piranha Bytes (when they can be bothered, once every 2-3 games) are making awesome open world masterpieces for pennies.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
cYXp9UQ.png

As I said, after n year of self-education I was better programmer/developer than they are.

Anyway, considering they are owned by Austria company, I doubt they would glorify Czech history.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
$10 says delayed until 2025.
If KCD2 is delayed until next year, then we're almost assured of Open World Action RPGs being voted Codex GotYs 2022, 2024, and 2025. +M

If certain studios didn't give open-world a bad name, it really is the best way to make a RPG. It also best simulates DM-guided tabletop games.

Ultimate freedom. Nonlinearity. World simulation. A vast space to explore.

Of course, even the largest companies would struggle to fill these worlds with content.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
$10 says delayed until 2025.
If KCD2 is delayed until next year, then we're almost assured of Open World Action RPGs being voted Codex GotYs 2022, 2024, and 2025. +M

2024's being? Surely not Dragon's Dogma, which is clunky and has the worst NPCs in all of vidya gaming.

When a game is announced for release "this year", it's always going to be at the end of the year.

To be precise, and I'm sure you probably know this Infinitron:

They say "This Holiday Season" when they mean "it'll release November 11th (second Tuesday) so that the maximum number of boxed copies are shipped to Best Buy before Black Friday."

They say "This year" when they mean "the game is in a shithouse state but our money situation means we HAVE TO RELEASE BY CHRISTMAS."

Which means KCD2 is releasing December 11th and heckers buggy.

If they release it this year, it will be 6 years since KCD (2018), which seems to be the new normal development period for AAA-ish games. Kinda sad, as back in late 90s, even cutting edge games probably took 2-3 years to make max. But that's the price for photorealistic graphics, physics, full voice overs, etc.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
2024's being? Surely not Dragon's Dogma, which is clunky and has the worst NPCs in all of vidya gaming.
Also best quest design, combat, exploration, and emergent gameplay. KC:D2 will be it's only competition. Also what is clunky about it? Are you referring to the slowdowns that only occur in exactly two locations on the entire fucking map?

Oh and DD2 also lets you kill children which makes it an instant codex classic.

ArchAngel

Arcane
cYXp9UQ.png

As I said, after n year of self-education I was better programmer/developer than they are.

Anyway, considering they are owned by Austria company, I doubt they would glorify Czech history.
I played yesterday for few more hours. I had multiple cases of humans standing inside other humans, even during talks with you. Then whenever you talk to people they do not even bother to turn towards you (it was like playing Starfield again :D) and my favorite was when I was exiting one of the yards to the main street my character just fell through the floor under the whole area. Luckily I could jump out from it somehow.

And it does not help that talking to people is almost like talking to clones, almost everyone says exactly the same things if you ask them about the city and their lord. This is one game where full VA is a detriment.
So far the best parts is just going outside on your horse and seeing the sights and sounds and rain and day/night stuff.
Game is basically a cool walking/riding simulator with some combat. Combat so far has been hold block with a shield and then try to do 1 or 2 attacks and back to block. Shield durability seems to be generous and repair prices for shield are not that bad.

Also I am not enjoying the limited save system. If I was playing this on PC I would have found a mod that lets me save anywhere, luckily on Xbox you can suspend your game, shut down the console and later game just continues exactly where you left it.

Harthwain

Magister
Also I am not enjoying the limited save system. If I was playing this on PC I would have found a mod that lets me save anywhere, luckily on Xbox you can suspend your game, shut down the console and later game just continues exactly where you left it.
It works the same way on PC now (it didn't at the release, it was patched in due to the popular demand).

ArchAngel

Arcane
It works the same way on PC now (it didn't at the release, it was patched in due to the popular demand).
What works same on PC? Putting your PC into sleep mode and when it comes back the game just continues?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Describe "limited save system". There are people that just suck at video games and blame a perfectly reasonable save system. People bitch about Dark Souls' save system which is forgiving as all fuck. It autosaves every two seconds.

thesecret1

Arcane
What works same on PC? Putting your PC into sleep mode and when it comes back the game just continues?
It saves whenever you quit the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom