Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - From Suikoden creators

Reinhardt

Arcane
so negress is annoying and unsympathetic? breaking news. looks like californians really can't resist making every negro into tyrone and shaneekwa.
and then they screech about racial stereotypes.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Elttharion

Learned
Rub-a-dub-dub, don't be a flub. Support the game guys. The lolcowlizers worked really freaking hard here. You wouldnt want to be a muscle brained chud right?

kxx39e7of1wc1.jpeg

JSakxGj.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I will just play it in Japanese with MTL at this point considering it is Unity

Need a map out of Character Names tho, just to make it easier. I can live with MTL misgendering. Pain

Elttharion

Learned
I will just play it in Japanese with MTL at this point considering it is Unity

Need a map out of Character Names tho, just to make it easier. I can live with MTL misgendering. Pain
I heard the problem is mainly present in the EN version of the game. I wont buy this at launch but hopefully some of the other languages have better translations.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I backed this because I am a fan of Suikoden and the Japenis who made the series

Unfortunate that "straight MTL level shit" of PSX Era is preferable to modern localization bullshit

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Confirmed that XunityAutoTL works with the game

The pain will be getting character names and official terminology (like Runes is called Lens here I think?)

jungl

Augur
I played it for a hour yesterday strong suikoden 2 vibes but with modern visuals and voice acting. The translation is fine and makes otherwise drab japanese which is boring as a language with its formality fun.

Hopefully it doesn't stay suikoden 2 throughout as storywise its the worst game in the series. Its a rehash of the first games story but without the butler bro but with annoying a dickhead childhood friend and stepsister. Suikoden 1-3,4,5 all have a more exciting story.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Is the game even worth the trouble?

It's one of those "Old JRPG Series, revived" and unlike Megaman (whose Mighty No 9 failed spectacularly) or the like, these series has always been about the word/story. Considering the writing team of the JP games are the creators/directors I assume it will be fine. These "KS from old JP Creators" has been a mixed bag. Mighty No 9 is a dud, but Bloodstained is excellent. Project Phoenix (inspired by FFT) failed to release a game. Shenmue is... OK I guess, it is what the series was but basically overshadowed by the fact better games exist today even in similar kind of gameplay (Yakuza), but as far delivering promised sequel, it is fine.

The other major JP based projects are this (Eiyuden for Suikoden), Penny Blood (Shadow Hearts), Armed Fantasia (Wild Arms). Out off the these, Suikoden has always been carried by setting/story. So is Shadow Hearts, I doubt people are excited to do QTE Ring of Destiny in combat. Wild Arms is probably the only one where gameplay is notable enough

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Jinn

Difficulty settings are:

1. Hard/Normal battle
2. Whether combat drops money or not (anti grind?)
3. Whether you can use consumables healing or not in Combat
4. Double HP/MP cost of skills
5. Inflation for the price

So if you are looking for gameplay there are way to tweaks them, and with anti-grind mode there will be some sort of attirition too

Jinn

Arcane
Difficulty settings are:

1. Hard/Normal battle

So if you are looking for gameplay there are way to tweaks them, and with anti-grind mode there will be some sort of attirition too
Thanks for the detailed rundown of the options, InD! It seems they really went above and beyond to offer players who want some added challenge the option.

The world and stories in the Suikodens were enough to keep me invested through entire playthroughs when I was younger, but these days I need a little bit more from my JRPG in terms of gameplay. I'm glad these options are becoming more common in the genre as the years go on.

Reinhardt

Arcane
downloaded and played for a few hours. so russian translation is based on english, not on japanese. lian in russian is not as annoying, but from my understanding most of her shit comes later so it's too early to judge. golem gender is still here. from my very limited island mutantish it was more like "we did it!" "dafug was that thing?" and it went to something like "we kicked his ass!" "are you sure it was "he"? no chuds yet.

Jinn

Difficulty settings are:

1. Hard/Normal battle

went to fight mole boss with only 5 people party without healer. without items this fight would be unwinnable. simple as that. it's pure random. i guessed correcly only twice over the course of battle so i had to smack boss hard way while burning through herbs.

Reinhardt

Arcane
so lian in nowa's hometown in russian: she still teases him, but it comes more like friendly tease with a hint of jealously that so many people admire him instead of openly mocking him like in english. closer to what she says in japanese in this scene.
also wolfman don't say "let's go embarass nowa", he simply said "let's go check his village"

Mauman

Learned
I'm guessing this game is another argument in favor of A.I. translations.

Also, I heard a rumor that the localizers in this project had some sort of DEI rulebook. Any truth to that?

Retardo

Learned
Oh boy...
Next you are gonna tell me the old English found in older games actually was just fanfiction level bullshit instead of translating correctly?
If you are playing Jap games in English, you deserve soyboy fanfiction.

If you can't learn Jap, then learn German or something, any other translations minus English are perfectly fine.

Here is some more examples:
https://nichegamer.com/8-years-awful-localizations-games-anime/
welp, I'm at the starting dungeon, no soyshit so far, but english localization is shitty enough even without that.
What's funny is that Eyuden Rising english loc was good enough.

deidetected.com/dei-detected/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes

Also, the game is surprisingly comfy:
1) no fucking QTEs like in sea of stars
2) tutorial dungeon difficulty is a bit above "piss easy" level.

somerandomdude

Learned
They made some odd choices surrounding mages/runes:

- Offensive spells cast through runes don't appear to scale with magic stat at all. The higher level you get, the worse they get. The level 3 earth spell is good early on, but trash later because the damage doesn't scale. I have yet to find a single offensive spell that scales with magic stat.
(Correction, I was told that some level 4 and 5 offensive spells do scale with magic stat, but it's still a bizarre design choice IMO, even more bizarre is many mage characters don't even have a slot capable of using the highest tier offensive runes, as you need a magic slot with 4* or all types with 4*).

- Some of the healing spells do appear to scale with magic stat, the level 3 AOE heal with the water rune heals for more with higher magic stat. It's not enough of a difference IMO.

- The only reason to keep mages around is if they have a good hero/combo ability to use against bosses IMO - Falward & Francesca have a good heal/buff combo.

- Normal attacks with mages appear to scale with magic stat providing they're using a wand or magic weapon adjacent.

- Enemies will target the back row, regularly. Squishy casters wearing rags get hit for dozens or hundreds of damage making them dead weight that simply needs more healing to keep alive that possess zero offensive upsides over using tankier short or mid range and even some long range archers like Kuroto are better to put support runes on IMO.

Last edited:
English dub is mediocre. As usual. Switched to Japanese voices, but that doesn't fix the wonky lines.

The game is way too sensitive to the thumbstick. You can not be moving the thumbstick and it will start flipping through menus and blaring sound effects.

Story wise, so far not a compelling start like the original Suikoden games. Suikoden 1 started with a high tension meeting with your father a general, the emperor, and the big bad evil witch. S2 had the iconic intro with your fellow Youth Brigade members being slaughtered by your instructor and your kingdom's prince and you fleeing into hiding. S3 and S5 took a bit to get to some exciting stuff but immediately started off with an endearing cast of characters (Chris' knights and Geddoe's mercenary band of middle-aged men, the Falena royal family and bodyguards).

Reinhardt

Arcane
so blakpipo are guardians of ancient ruins and primitive crakkaz from empire and league trying to loot them. wakanda foreva!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom