Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half Sword - Die By The Sword spiritual successor

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

This game randomly popped up on my Youtube feed a few days ago while I was watching videos of We Who Are About To Die, so I checked it out and even though it looks really barebones and rough around the edges, it was interesting enough that I decided to give the demo a try. I'm a huge fan of DBTS (it ranks up there as one of my favourite games, especially when using HazardX's Xtended patch), so naturally if there's a non-VR game like it, it would pique my interest.

Some videos:

There's a demo on the Steam page which I gave a whirl, clocking in about an hour and a half of playtime. Despite being in the very early stages of production, it's surprisingly not bad and I'd say it's got good potential. You get weapons like the sickle, scythe, hammer, and spear to screw around with. Here's a short summary of how it's like:
  • You use weapons simply by holding LMB/RMB and moving it the mouse around. You can dual wield or use weapons one-handed, which adds more power and accuracy to your swings. It's very DBTS-like especially if you have experience with its VSIM mouse controls.
  • Because of that, there's no dedicated block button. You have to block based on your and the opponent's weapon attack trajectory.
  • Thus, if your opponent actually hits you with force with a heavy weapon (eg a metal candelabra) while you're holding a knife, it'll be almost impossible to parry.
  • Yeah you can use objects like candelabra and stools as makeshift weapons. It's pretty cool because something as seemingly useless as the candelabra can help you to force enemies back.
  • Combat is meaty. Dismemberment and disembowelment are a thing. You can die in 2-3 hits.
  • It's a bit hard to control atm because of how "swingy" hands can get, but the devs have said they're definitely going to make combat less like swinging a lightsaber. Perhaps more weight will be added to weapons?
  • But that said, no weapon outrightly dominates, at least from what I've played. Spears for instance are very powerful but if the opponent manages to get past the spearhead, you need to quickly whip out a secondary weapon. Knives and sickles are very fast killing tools, but you have to get close to an opponent to deal the killing strike.
It's been a while since we last had a DBTS-clone IMO (the last one was Determinance by Mode 7 Games but for whatever reason they treat it as if it doesn't exist). I guess Exanima counts? But I haven't played it (only wishlisted). Got my fingers crossed that this will be the one to fill the void left by DBTS.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Interesting, does it feel less janky than DbtS? While I liked the game in theory, it felt very waggly when I played it and the platforming was a textbook example of why people shouldn't blindly copy what Tomb Raider was doing without understanding why they did it.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Interesting, does it feel less janky than DbtS? While I liked the game in theory, it felt very waggly when I played it and the platforming was a textbook example of why people shouldn't blindly copy what Tomb Raider was doing without understanding why they did it.
In general it's easier to hit stuff here, but arm movement here can be janky depending on the type of weapon you're using. Polearms and weightier weapons are more unpredictable as they have more momentum behind each swing, while precision is better with hilt weapons like swords or axes. Of course, the downside to hilt weapons is they have shorter range.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If only Kingdom Come had that kind of fighting :)

Very fun, I hope it turns into something more than just a demo.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I've discovered a 1337 haxx to store large weapons.
There's a drawback though. It might kill you if you run forward.

20231209194621_1.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Spent a few hours on the demo. Probably the best medieval physics-based dueling simulator that I've played so far.

Hope it comes out eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom