Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Confessions of a dirty gamer

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Throne of Bhaal sucks ass though. You're not missing anything.

All the real fun in AD&D is in advanced levels and dual-classing. Without the expansion raising the level cap to 8 million, Skinwalker is once again in that familiar position that has occurred so often in his life where he can't go on the fun ride because you have to be at least this tall to gain entry.

Romance almost always improves an RPG for me, but not in current year games.

Throne of Bhaal is better than SoA because at least it respects your time and has to do with the Bhaalspawn plot. I didn't find anything remarkable about either's quest content though.

I have negative interest in Fallout as a series. I hate post-apoc in general but even if I didn't I would have preferred a post-apoc set in the actual 50s after the bombs fell with politics and technology as was, opposed to a goofy unserious future with references to that decade.

I gave Pool of Radiance a try and the controls are so unfathomably shit that I may never try it again. It filtered me at party generation because the keys to scroll through sprite color did not correspond to what they ought to have. Pressing certain directions did nothing.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
I have negative interest in Fallout as a series. I hate post-apoc in general but even if I didn't I would have preferred a post-apoc set in the actual 50s after the bombs fell with politics and technology as was, opposed to a goofy unserious future with references to that decade.
Worth giving the original Fallout another shot, the 50s stuff is mostly an invention of the 3/NV era. Fo1 has an obvious retrofuturism sheen but the actual ethics and politics of pre-war society are much harder to pin down to any one era, and post-war society feels more inspired by the 1980s than anything else, a la Mad Max 2 and Wasteland. The "goofy unserious" stuff also mostly starts with Fo2; Fo1 is kind of funny a lot of the time but in a surreal nightmarish way, and has a vein of genuine despair running through it that's almost entirely missing in all the sequels. A lot of the most irritatingly cartoony shit - super evil deathtrap vaults, breezy upbeat 50s music playing over people getting gored, factions composed mostly of dumb caricatures - came after the original game.

Hagashager

Educated
There's a Tim Cain GDC conference where he said the 1950s aesthetic was meant, primarily, as an aesthetic. He had a thing for Golden Age Sci-Fi technology and wanted it in his game. That the series went so hard into the '50s schtick was far beyond his apparent intention.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I sometimes use cheat engine to maxmax my character stats when I can't decide what build to go for (so I just go for all the builds).

100% this, you beat me to it. This is especially true in games that have hard stat barriers that are all or nothing and are B-tier games that I will never play twice. AtomRPG, Colony Ship, any game that uses Fallout style hard skill checks where you must have X level stat/skill to unlock this dialog, use this thingy, open this door, whatever. If I know I'm not playing through that game again then I want all options open to me on my single playthrough. I want my games like my women. Many options open and available to me as I only get one playthrough at life so maximum variety of choices is essential, sadly life's "cheat engine" is slightly harder to use in this regard but it does exist too.

AshenNedra

Educated
I've played through VtMB with every clan at least once.
Not counting one or two replays, I haven't played a cRPG since 2020.

Doesn't it tell more about the state of the game industry than yourself, though?

Sad state of affairs, it is.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had sex for the first time before I masturbaited for the first time. I am also still with the woman I lost my virginity to(and took hers in the process).

It's cool that you're close with your sister, but this is a RPG thread.

Anyway...
  • PS:T sucks and would've been better as a VN or short story. I'd rather play Might & Magic 1 though.
  • The best part of Arcanum is the manual.
  • Arkane Studios has produced exactly 0 good games.
  • BG1 is better than BG2, just as KotC1 is better than KotC2, and Fallout is better than Fallout 2. Sometimes less is more.
  • There's a good chance I played World of Warcraft for more hours than every Steam game I have combined.
  • 3.5E is the best edition of D&D.
  • The best mainline Final Fantasy is 6, but the best cinematic Final Fantasy is 8.
  • Chrono Trigger is pretty cool.
  • I believed Molyneux's horse shit about the features Fable would have on release. "It's going to have growing trees! Holy fuck!"
  • Part of the reason I hate ME2 and DA2 so much is that I thought DA:O and ME1 were awesome.
  • I was lurking the Codex since about 2006 but finally registered because I wanted to post about DA:O which was about to release. :lol: :negative:

Hell Swarm

Learned
I find CRPGs to be incredibly boring. Games like Skyrim/Fallout are just walking sims with a bit of loot added.
I've put more hours into Pokemon gen 1-3 than any other game series. They're comfort food in game form. I want to try getting 100% achievements on retro achievement for the whole series up to the DS.
I always build stealth builds for the lock picking skills. But I never play stealth, I break in using those skills then shoot my way out.
I find more enjoyment playing a some what janky game than a well polished one. I like finding movement systems flaws and trying to break them. I'll always try jumping up cliff faces to see if I can find a ledge and climb up some where interesting. This doesn't apply to other systems, I don't like becoming ungodly powerful through exploits. I just like trying to jump places I shouldn't or taking items/vehicles places they shouldn't go
I am fat and you would not have sex with me.

Beans00 Did your uncle ever say sorry for what he did to you back then?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I always build stealth builds for the lock picking skills. But I never play stealth, I break in using those skills then shoot my way out.
I blame D&D for this. There's lots of action movies where the main character that primarily shoots things can pick locks.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I blame D&D for this. There's lots of action movies where the main character that primarily shoots things can pick locks.
I'm a wargamer, I look down on you smelly roleplayers like the scum you are! Imaginary dwarves and elves in silly voices will always be daft!

It's more that my personality leans that way. I want to open all the chests and not have a locked door stop me. But I'm also very blunt in how I deal with enemies. I don't sneak in to be an action hero, I sneak in so I can get in shotgun range without being shot first.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
3.5E is the best edition of D&D.
I'm not even sure this is a confession so much as it is a statement of fact.
For a CRPG it is fine, but PnP NO. Go suck on your bloated shit. Even 2e ended up bloat happy. And don't be a fucking munchkin with TLBB/Holmes/1e. Well, don't munchkin Moldvay/Cook & Mentzer Basic/RC either.

I know... I know.... people couldn't play without rules for god damn everything and theatre of the mind went out the window to the view screens as the decades stacked on.

3.5 best? FUCKING LMAO! NO!!!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I confess I don't give a shit what Mentzer supposedly said in an email nor Judge's Guilds supposed "racist" comments. Shitting on the company and forcing shutdown because all the rainbow sheep got butthurt over free speech is ridiculous. I only managed to get a few of the downloads from DrivethruRPG and their JG site and lament I didn't get them all.

Sure, I have all the shitty bootlegged earlier ones but their scans were very shitty. Take a look at the only DL left https://www.judgesguild.com/game-aids

I just dub the whole fucking thing as Jews & Judges Guild. Bob the 2nd & 3rd should have just kept their site running and said FUCK OFF to the wetblanket babies. People would come back secretly. You know, I think a few more companies went under or "apologized" for "racist" bullshit. We all know Hasbro of the Coast even apologized for orc bigotry, no combat wheelchairs, rainbow support, and old modules butthurts like slavery, killing mobs (females/young), etc etc etc. I recall those stupid articles at times and shake my head at the weak minded easily bruised bitches of these days. Fucking grow a pair?

Oh wait, the youth want to chop em off and be storytelling dragqueen faggot eunuchs and grooming kids.

.......Now if I could only find a pirate lair of the later scans for all the JG.... yessssssss my preciousszzzzzzz......

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
Here we go, trying to derail the thread again because he's a beta soycuck furry and I'm a chad alpha who doesn't have to pretend to be an elf to feel some worth in my life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom