Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity II Previews - Ship System Details, Console Release

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Josh Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

In this weekend's Pillars of Eternity II Fig update, Obsidian said they would be releasing details about the game's new ship system in the following update a few weeks from now. It turns out we don't have to wait that long. Today, a raft of previews were published across the web with a focus on describing said ship system. As is often the case, PCGamesN have the most in-depth preview, including a 14 minute Josh Sawyer interview video:

Here's a list of all of today's previews and interviews that we've been able to track down. Besides the PCGamesN preview, the Game Informer interview with Josh is the most interesting read here.

In other news that just happens to have been released today, Game Informer have revealed that Pillars II is set to receive a console release in late 2018. As with the first game, the console port is being developed by a third party, in this case the Brazilian studio Red Cerberus. I assume this is part of the terms of Obsidian's publishing arrangement with Versus Evil, but it sure would have looked better if they'd waited until after the PC release to announce it.

frajaq

Erudite
whew at least that gameinformer interview helped with my fears about the ship stuff

If you don’t want to duel and want to get straight into melee combat, you can go to deck-to-deck combat. It pulls your ship up alongside another ship and your party and some of your crew members will roll onto the enemy ship, which has a captain and combatants for you to attack. We’re trying to make it so that if you really don’t want to do the ship dueling that much, you can either run away, fly false flags to trick people, or go deck-to-deck fighting if you want more Deadfire style combat.

I don't mind ship stuff if at the end of the day I can just go melee and wreck shit

Sacibengala

Prophet
Brazilian? Would be good if this time we'll get some portuguese localization. Almost all of my friends interested in these kind of games can't even read in english.

Ruzen

Savant
Now that I think about it. I will try to frustrate myself with a run doing only AI companion, without giving any orders beside my character. Would be "fun" :D

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The last port of a console RPG I played (T:ToN) wasn't all that great. I think I'll wait until the PS4 version is released to get the authentic experience.

This game does really look cool, I like the ship mechanic. I was not planning to buy this game because I hate the system josh designed, but I probably will end up buying it now...

I would be so stoked if the game was based on d20/AD&D, I am so butthurt about it because I really like the way the game looks and is shaping up, but the crappy rule system just ruins it for me. I will never stop complaining about it I guess..

Radech

Augur
Now that I think about it. I will try to frustrate myself with a run doing only AI companion, without giving any orders beside my character. Would be "fun" :D

Honestly with how much i detest RTwP, this may actually be the only way I'll manage to complete this - programming companions could be fun, though I assume spell targeting will be the same clusterfuck as I remember from DA:O

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just look at him and compare to the latest selfie of Cleve in that other thread. My choice is made.

Are those the only available choices? I mean, you could fit two Sawyers into one Blakemore so it’s kind of a no brainer. Unless you’re about to hibernate for the winter, in which case metamorphing into Cleve would have its advantages.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lol @ turn-based ship combat and RTWP party combat. Obsidian really likes their game design to be counter-intuitive.

Also, last game with turn-based ship-to-ship combat did not turn out that well.

Raven%27s_Cry_Coverart.png

On a more serious note, really looking forward to Deadfire, but not touching it until they finish patching and releasing DLC.

Terra

Cipher
Do we know how the first one sold on console?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom