Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So will this cause any butthurt in the usual places or most people don't really care about Fallout 4? I have not payed too much attention, but there should be at least some butthurt tards right here on the Codex.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
...It's no hyperbole to say that the writers at Bethesda are some of the worst storytellers in the AAA gaming segment. They are fatally attached to the idea of making a cartoon world full of cartoon characters living through Very Serious Stories. Unfortunately, this combination of narrative elements clashes rather badly, and results in a bunch of utterly idiotic stories that positively dare the player to find any sort of intelligent design behind them.

That's it in a nutshell.

:hearnoevil: [PRESS RELEASE] "We're all huge Fallout fans here at Bethesda."

:gumpyhead: "Hey Todd, the Fallout setting takes place in a bleak, gritty post-apocalyptic world, and is also known for its humor, according to this Wikipedia article I just Googled. Also, there are mutants and props from the 1950s in it."

:hearnoevil: "Is that a fact? All right, let's draw up the design documents."

d849a029b1.png

:pete: "Perfect."

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm glad you spent so long playing it. Think of it as penance for your somewhat positive article/preview on swordcoast legends.

You must have me confused with someone else. I've only ever heard Sword Coast Legend mentioned by others.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
First I thought that I won't read this long ass wall of text, but since I had nothing better to do, I started to grind through it. And boy it was fun. I'm pretty sure that I had more fun reading this than the "fun" I would have had if I played this shit.

And to see that all those Codexians who shit on other games waste a hundred hours in this just screams hypocricy.

Mount & Blade, Skyrim, Life is Feudal: Your Own, Farcry 3 & 4, Wurm Unlimited, The Forest ...
Well, if gamers, developers, media treats it as an RPG, it should be tested as an RPG.

Mozg

Arcane
I read all that shit. Thanks for playing enough to be able to do it exhaustively, although in the end I'm sure it's exactly what anyone would have expected based on Beth history and their marketing. Doing the actual footwork let you unearth gems like the fact that this multibillion dollar video game company put in a bunch of weird vanity content with Linda Carter (who is some Bethguy's wife, right).

I feel we're getting closer to the day that regular assholes can grasp that Bethesda is three midgets in a trenchcoat.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
May I ask what is that MCA tweet the Codex facebook post is talking about?

Our Fallout 4 review coupled with Chris Avellone's tweet is why we can't have nice (Fallout-ey) things anymore.

Urbanolo

Augur
I might be getting wrong impression (since I don't usually visit mainstream gaming sites, except for /r/games), but Fallout 4 hype seems to have burnt out surprisingly quickly. If I remember correctly, it took people over a year to start seeing the most obvious flaws in Skyrim, and most people are still gushing over it.
Now it seems barely anyone gives a fuck about F4 or the upcoming DLCs except for autists, that enjoy spending hundreds of hours building and crafting usless shit.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This reviewer isn't much of a roleplayer. Some people like pistols, some like shotty's, some like melee, some like automatics, and some like snipers. You can't go into a system designed to be tailored to the way you want to play and then bitch when it lets you min/max.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I was actually a little surprised by the overall agreement with the review. Then again, post-honeymoon phase criticism is very common.

Great review. I enjoyed reading it.

:brodex:

FO4 didn't even have that much of a honeymoon phase. It was getting some hammering even by the mainstream press from the very beginning, eg: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-go-to-new-thread.99563/page-272#post-4216857

I read all that shit. Thanks for playing enough to be able to do it exhaustively, although in the end I'm sure it's exactly what anyone would have expected based on Beth history and their marketing. Doing the actual footwork let you unearth gems like the fact that this multibillion dollar video game company put in a bunch of weird vanity content with Linda Carter (who is some Bethguy's wife, right).

I feel we're getting closer to the day that regular assholes can grasp that Bethesda is three midgets in a trenchcoat.

Zenimax CEO's wife.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Yeah, even mainstram youtubers like Angry Joe gave it a 5 or a 6 IIRC. It seems even the mainstream press are starting to get fed up with Bethesda's bullshit about these games. It is simply mind blowing that Bethesda is basicly making the same games since Oblivion, with the same level of quality, yet everybody gave them a free pass because "oh but there is that huge world and you can waste spend hundreds of hours with all that content." And the "but the radiant AI/quest is so revolutionary". Really? We are praising this radiant shit instead asking them why are they not making hand crafted, interesting missions instead of implementing a system which generates boring quests based upon some variables.

They are not even trying to improve the missions, writing, or even cinematics, they just concentrate on the huge ass world with lots of shit in it, and call it a day. I am not the fan of new GTA games, but at least Rockstar is clearly doing something to improve their games, not just say that bigger= better.

I hope it will bite them in the ass someday, and maybe F4 will be the start of that. On the other hand, who am I kidding, they probably sold enough millions so they can continue to do this.

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I read three chapters but I'm supposed to be at work so will read the rest later. Brofisted for the sacrifice even if the rest of the review turns out to be a late April Fool. Any review this long has to be worth reading.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It is simply mind blowing that Bethesda is basicly making the same games since Oblivion, with the same level of quality,

Skyrim is better than Oblivion, e.g. it has a better implementation of level scaling and no counter-intuitive leveling.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It is simply mind blowing that Bethesda is basicly making the same games since Oblivion, with the same level of quality,

Skyrim is better than Oblivion, e.g. it has a better implementation of level scaling and no counter-intuitive leveling.
And does it make it a better game? No, it is still boring.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bethesda seem to have a more solid grounding in the Elder Scrolls universe. They need a Michael Kirkbride-like figure to help them find a good direction to go with Fallout. This may be what Chris Avellone is aiming to do.

(in before terrible TES6)

Paul_cz

Arcane
This review is on the legendary VD's Oblivion review level. Amazingly detailed and accurate (and hilarious). Really impressive job. I played FO4 for 140 hours and mostly on account of the decent shooting and nice world design, had fun. And yet can't help but agree with everything. FO4 is the worst mainline Fallout game by far, really terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom