Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bubbles Setting aside actually good games, how would compare FO3 with FO4?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This review is on the legendary VD's Oblivion review level. Amazingly detailed and accurate (and hilarious). Really impressive job. I played FO4 for 140 hours and mostly on account of the decent shooting and nice world design, had fun. And yet can't help but agree with everything. FO4 is the worst mainline Fallout game by far, really terrible.
I'm always amazed when people know that a game is terrible, yet they sink a lot of time into it. Did you play all the classic games from 1990 onwards, played AoD 7 times, played every good nu game of the recent years so you play this instead of those? :P

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda seem to have a more solid grounding in the Elder Scrolls universe. They need a Michael Kirkbride-like figure to help them find a good direction to go with Fallout. This may be what Chris Avellone is aiming to do.

(in before terrible TES6)
they are losing TES too. after kirkbride left, there isn't really anything interesting going on, they retconned alot of stuff, including the whole of cyrodiil, alduin being such pathetic boss, for the sake of development convenience. the socio-political and religious climate , background conflict of oblivion is laughable compared to morrowind. skyrim is a bit better in that aspect, but the quests are dull, repetitive and the radiant quest is a step down from oblivion's radiant AI. NPCs dont have schedule and behaviour as complex, and aside from daedra quests, there are almost nothing worth remembering. oblivion, with all of its flaws, has some interesting quests that allow some role-play. remember that female bandit group? if you play as a girl, you can join them and catch them in the act, and if you are male you can pretend to be their victim. quests like paranoia!, two sides of the same coin, shadows over hackdirt, and dozen more. in skyrim, almost everything revolve around combat, inside a dungeon and your objective is the very end of that dungeon.

it seems to get worse in fallout 4. it has even less freedom compared to skyrim, where treasure in the end of dungeon full of random loot (and very rare unique loot) filled with random, level scaled mobs is the core of the game.

Paul_cz

Arcane
This review is on the legendary VD's Oblivion review level. Amazingly detailed and accurate (and hilarious). Really impressive job. I played FO4 for 140 hours and mostly on account of the decent shooting and nice world design, had fun. And yet can't help but agree with everything. FO4 is the worst mainline Fallout game by far, really terrible.
I'm always amazed when people know that a game is terrible, yet they sink a lot of time into it. Did you play all the classic games from 1990 onwards, played AoD 7 times, played every good nu game of the recent years so you play this instead of those? :P

My first RPG that I played was Fallout 1. It and Fallout 2 became the standard and I never went back to older RPGs (got spoiled). These days though after work I prefer to play like a lazy bastard from my couch (on a PC, fuck consoles) so I prefer 3D controller-compatible games. Exploration and atmosphere can carry a game far for me. So I did have "fun" with FO4, but it was nowhere near the level of enjoyment I had with New Vegas or Witcher 3.

NullFlow

Savant
Boy am I glad I avoided this piece of radiated Bethesda turd. My online gaming friends get all super hyped for this and claim it will be the greatest game ever, and barely talk about it or play it now. It's fine to say you had fun with it, but don't call it a good game. Great review, albeit a long read.

hivemind

I want to cuddle with Bubbles as he uncontrollably shakes from the mental trauma that spending dozens of hour on FO4 had to cause.

Boy am I glad I avoided this piece of radiated Bethesda turd. My online gaming friends get all super hyped for this and claim it will be the greatest game ever, and barely talk about it or play it now. It's fine to say you had fun with it, but don't call it a good game. Great review, albeit a long read.

But the aim of a good game is to be "fun", right?

14670_500.jpg

[Science] This is contemporary art.

Ty for review. I didn't missed anything skipping this game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

But the aim of a good game is to be "fun", right?
But fun is relative. Just because I enjoy putting nails into my dick, that doesn't mean that you would have fun with that too.

Lhynn

Arcane
Very good review, but so god damn long. I went to bed like an hour late because i stayed reading it, it was nontheless very entertaining. I agree with everything you wrote, tho that part where you admitted you spent over 30 hours reloading dialogues to come to the conclusion any sane person would come to with one reload made me cringe.

Anyway :salute:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know why you waste time reviewing FO4 instead of, oh I don't know, UNDERRAIL, or even something else entirely. We all know FO4 is shit, it literally couldn't have been anything else, the design logic of AAA developers doesn't permit deviations from this.

But fun is relative. Just because I enjoy putting nails into my dick, that doesn't mean that you would have fun with that too.

My point was that if you consider a game to be fun, that also means that you find it good, because that's why you play games in the first place.

So what's the point in the sentance "It's fine to say you had fun with it, but don't call it a good game" ?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Because fun is "subjective" and you can't form a coherent and serious opinion based on "subjective" arguments.

Hegel

Arcane
A lenghty review of Fallout 4, I appreciate the courage; and now it's time for healing.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great review! A bit on the longer side but it's worth it.
:mrpresident:

Suchy

Arcane
Nice. I was thinking - maybe a bargain bin sometime in the future. But it's not even worth pirating.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
An exemplary piece of journalism, besting even so-called 'professional' outlets in terms of writing, content, and reasoning. No person with a functioning brain, regardless of religion, race, or ideology, would be able to think Fallout 4 is objectively good after reading this masterpiece of a review.

Fallout fanboys will commit sudoku at the spot as they realize the destiny of their beloved franchise. Shills will lose all motivation when they realize what a humongous piece of shit they are shilling. Future game designers will look at this review at how NOT to design games, as developers in the gaming industry will reflect upon themselves and ask what it means to make good games. Gaming journalists will break down in a heap of self-pity after reading such a pure example of journalism as they realize their positions of being mere PR mouthpieces. Corporate slaves will rebel against their masters so they can truly develop objectively good games, and bring forth a new age of :incline:.
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom