Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top Non-RPG PC Games RESULTS!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Who's ready for some sweet nostalgia?

The results for our RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC games voting are out! Here's a sneak peak:

kaFzrovm.jpg

You can see the full list and a lot more info here:

Read the full article: RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC Games RESULTS!

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
People should be frankly ashamed of the placement of The Longest Journey. That game is mediocre at best, and certainly not better than Sam & Max Hit the Road let alone the sixth greatest adventure game of all time. (Obviously, Primordia's placement is ridiculous, but I've long ago learned to love nepotism when it redounds to my benefit.)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
How unfortunate that I missed it, I would have put points into Chaos Theory, Swat 4, Hitman Blood Money, Counter Strike and maybe some Arma game. Lots of nostalgiafag games, games that people care to sing the praises of (for leet gamer cred on a forum or simply because of nostalgia) but don't care much to play. Feels like this list is too much of a popularity contest combined with what I mentioned previously. Knowing how little so many people here actually play games and tend to spend more of their time on only new releases or multiplayer crap instead of replays or old games also plays a part.
Vice City being higher than San Andreas is just silly, SA is the better game. Did people dunk more points into VC more because they felt San Andreas was overrated or something?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Perhaps a more accurate title would be "RPG Codex's sweet PC memories". :shittydog:

I'm satisfied with the poll, I think the results are very representative of the Codex's taste. And there's lots of options if anyone is looking for a new game to play - you can sort by genre, developer, points, votes, % of 5 votes, etc...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
% of 5 votes
Yeah, looking at the "top 25" X-com is most impressive of all, despite much fewer votes than overrated HoMM 3 it got 5th place with 68% people giving it maximum rating (HoMM 3 had 51%). Freespace 2 has it at 69% and Myth II: Soulblighter and Archimedean Dynastyat 80% (sic!).

I'm also quite impressed with how well Sacrifice did (the best game of all time), considering so few people played it and even fewer finished it (it was quite hard, especially at the very end). So yeah, places 26-187 are way more interesting to me than top 25.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Sacrifice was absurdly easy. I still have no idea how it was meant to be played, but it was very easy if you just massed bombard units (tethering a few to slow down the enemy enough to get your horde back to save the day if necessary) and then once you got the spell that opened up the world and wiped the other guy's spirits out permanently, used that repeatedly. I couldn't grok multiplayer at all, and I'm sure the way I played was stupid as hell, it made formations irrelevant, just felt lame, but it I still enjoyed the game's audiovisuals, "feel," and story.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Sacrifice was absurdly easy.
Have you finished the whole game? With different "builds"?
I still have no idea how it was meant to be played
Guess not.
but it was very easy if you just massed bombard units (tethering a few to slow down the enemy enough to get your horde back to save the day if necessary) and then once you got the spell that opened up the world and wiped the other guy's spirits out permanently, used that repeatedly.
Definitely not.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I haven't played in at least 15 years, but I recall that I beat it three different ways (in terms of which gods I followed), with the sole constant that I always took that ground-opening spell (if I'm remembering correctly). There were a couple levels that I recall gave me a modest challenge on the way.

If by you mean, like, did I bother learning to play it the right way, I specified that I hadn't. But I rolled the campaign plenty easily repeatedly, at least in my fuzzy recollection.

aratuk

Cipher
Once again, Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist fails to get the recognition it deserves as the greatest game ever made.

Adventure games generally fared less well than I might have expected, but maybe that's somewhat explained by the fact that 1997 is the most popular year in the poll. I feel like I've noticed that people really into adventure games have tended to be a bit older than me.

flushfire

Augur
I don't remember Sacrifice being particularly hard either, but it's still one of my favorites. Would've pushed it higher if I got the chance.

I think AoW:SM and RA2 should be higher. Also WC2 > WC3 & KoF '98 > XIII but it's not even on the 1000 list. Same with SF3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom