Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 452: Brian Heins on The Outer Worlds

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Matt Barton; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds

The latest guest on Matt Barton's show is Obsidian Entertainment's Brian Heins, a veteran designer best known for his role as game director on Tyranny. The topic of this first episode however is The Outer Worlds, which Brian worked on as an area designer. It begins with a spirited defense of the pulp science fiction themes that both Fallout and The Outer Worlds are based on. There's a discussion of some of the novel features of the game's skill system and its unique flaw system. Brian reveals that there were many flaws that the team wanted to add but didn't have time to implement, including a Narcissism flaw that the player would have gotten if he refused to take a flaw three times in a row. He seems to hint that those sorts of flaws might be brought back in an upcoming expansion. The episode concludes with a discussion of the challenges of designing an RPG where you can kill anybody.

However, the most interesting part of the episode is at the very beginning, where Brian reveals that he's now "content director" on an unannounced "large RPG" that is currently in early preproduction with a small team and won't be revealed for the next couple of years. He seems like a bright guy who is very much into his craft. There are two more episodes left to go, and I assume Tyranny is coming up next.

Diggfinger

Arcane
That unannounced project has nothing to with what J. Sawyer is working on, right?

Guess not, since Sawyer clearly said it's a small-scale project and here he mentions a 'large RPG'.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, get real. You wish all of TOW's devs looked like Brian Heins and not like the nice ladies on the narrative design team. The guy's totally chill.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Man TOW the steaming pile of SJW garbage with no content.

I had completely forgotten about this game until I saw this.

Zeriel

Arcane
lol, get real. You wish all of TOW's devs looked like Brian Heins and not like the nice ladies on the narrative design team. The guy's totally chill.

"nice ladies"

Infinitron, is there something you want to tell us?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Obsidian_Megan_Starks.jpg

This one? Senior Narrative Designer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom