Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Update #48: Multiple Quest Solutions

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game; Iron Tower Studio; Vince D. Weller

It's been a quiet month and a half on the Colony Ship front, but development on the game has continued. The beta test for the first chapter is still on track for December, with the public Early Access release now scheduled for March. Iron Tower have improved the enemy AI and finalized the game's first non-human enemy type - the turret. The main topic of this month's development update is a particular scenario that involves said turret. In the struggle for control of the Pit between Jonas Redford and Jeremiah Braxton, a player who sides with the latter might volunteer to prevent the townsfolk from interfering while Braxton's Regulators take Jonas out. The accompanying batch of screenshots demonstrates three ways in which this scenario might play out:

We continue working on quests and mechanics, aiming to start beta-testing the first 3 locations in Dec and release on Early Access in March next year.

Now the AI can 'see' and open doors, which will make the game of hide n seek more fun, at least for the AI. We added the first non-human enemy – a turret. You probably saw one in the combat demo, but that was a lifeless 3D model. Now they have stats (for different types), animations (rotate and fire, take damage, etc), and combat behavior. The turrets use proper ammo (not the magical unlimited ammo), so the faster you kill one, the more ammo you'd loot. If it's a friendly turret, you can share your own ammo with it to make sure it won't run out of bullets too soon.

Since you're here for some screens, let's illustrate multiple solutions in combat-heavy scenarios and show our new turret. As you probably know, the starting town's conflict is between Jonas representing freedom, Deadwood-style, that some might call lawlessness and Braxton representing law & order that some might call gubment telling folks what to do and – to add insult to injury – charging tax for the privilege.

It won't be much of a spoiler to tell you that the conflict ends up in a shootout, but what if open assault isn't your style? Then (upon request) you'll be tasked with preventing the locals from coming to Jonas' aid while Braxton's forces do all the heavy lifting. So that's two very different options already but the design miracles don't stop there.

Once you go down that path you get 3 new options: diplomacy (which in turn branches into relying on Impersonate to con the local yokels and Persuasion to convince them that resistance is futile), combat (in case you change your mind and decide to fight after all), and a mix of thievery and jury-rigging. There's an old turret there that's been stripped for parts. You can explore the nearby area while you have time (Lockpick will help a lot here), find the parts and some ammo, and use your Computer skill to fix the targeting module.

That's it for today. Next month we'll show you the Hydroponics and hopefully announce the upcoming beta-test. Stay tuned.
Good stuff. Presumably Hydroponics will be the third location included in the Early Access build, the second being the Armory which we saw back in July.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The new conversation tab looks great, and also reminds me of Disco Elysium.

After fully reckoning with the greatness of The Age of Decadence (seven years after I purchased it on Early Access), I have no doubt that this game will be fantastic, though my expectation is that the sci-fi setting will result in lower sales. I will day-zero the Early Access release; hopefully it will prove me wrong.

Alphons

Cipher
Looking great! I'll be definitely supporting in Early Access, but I'll wait for a full game before playing.

I kinda feel disappointed that I (probably) won't be shanked by some random hobo after spoiling myself with combat demo 4 times already (though only 1 successfully all the way through).

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I kinda feel disappointed that I (probably) won't be shanked by some random hobo after spoiling myself with combat demo 4 times already (though only 1 successfully all the way through).

I found most AoD factions hard despite beating the combat demo. Especially Thief, didn't even play praetor because of that.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Though I don't plan to play Colony Ship in Early Access, I will support the game as soon
as it releases there. And then we'll see if I can resist the urge to give it a spin anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom