Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Colony Ship Update #48: Multiple Quest Solutions

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game; Iron Tower Studio; Vince D. Weller

It's been a quiet month and a half on the Colony Ship front, but development on the game has continued. The beta test for the first chapter is still on track for December, with the public Early Access release now scheduled for March. Iron Tower have improved the enemy AI and finalized the game's first non-human enemy type - the turret. The main topic of this month's development update is a particular scenario that involves said turret. In the struggle for control of the Pit between Jonas Redford and Jeremiah Braxton, a player who sides with the latter might volunteer to prevent the townsfolk from interfering while Braxton's Regulators take Jonas out. The accompanying batch of screenshots demonstrates three ways in which this scenario might play out:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We continue working on quests and mechanics, aiming to start beta-testing the first 3 locations in Dec and release on Early Access in March next year.

Now the AI can 'see' and open doors, which will make the game of hide n seek more fun, at least for the AI. We added the first non-human enemy – a turret. You probably saw one in the combat demo, but that was a lifeless 3D model. Now they have stats (for different types), animations (rotate and fire, take damage, etc), and combat behavior. The turrets use proper ammo (not the magical unlimited ammo), so the faster you kill one, the more ammo you'd loot. If it's a friendly turret, you can share your own ammo with it to make sure it won't run out of bullets too soon.

Since you're here for some screens, let's illustrate multiple solutions in combat-heavy scenarios and show our new turret. As you probably know, the starting town's conflict is between Jonas representing freedom, Deadwood-style, that some might call lawlessness and Braxton representing law & order that some might call gubment telling folks what to do and – to add insult to injury – charging tax for the privilege.

It won't be much of a spoiler to tell you that the conflict ends up in a shootout, but what if open assault isn't your style? Then (upon request) you'll be tasked with preventing the locals from coming to Jonas' aid while Braxton's forces do all the heavy lifting. So that's two very different options already but the design miracles don't stop there.

Once you go down that path you get 3 new options: diplomacy (which in turn branches into relying on Impersonate to con the local yokels and Persuasion to convince them that resistance is futile), combat (in case you change your mind and decide to fight after all), and a mix of thievery and jury-rigging. There's an old turret there that's been stripped for parts. You can explore the nearby area while you have time (Lockpick will help a lot here), find the parts and some ammo, and use your Computer skill to fix the targeting module.

That's it for today. Next month we'll show you the Hydroponics and hopefully announce the upcoming beta-test. Stay tuned.
    Good stuff. Presumably Hydroponics will be the third location included in the Early Access build, the second being the Armory which we saw back in July.

• Brofist x 21
    • incline x 7
    • Excited! x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Will the dudes whos got access to the combat demo, get beta-testing in december? I sure hope so! This, as always, looks amazing Vault Dweller

A true light in a dark and fucked up 2020 corona year. Cheers

• Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    As always, great work. Looking forward to the game :)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alpan Magister Patron

Alpan
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The new conversation tab looks great, and also reminds me of Disco Elysium.

After fully reckoning with the greatness of The Age of Decadence (seven years after I purchased it on Early Access), I have no doubt that this game will be fantastic, though my expectation is that the sci-fi setting will result in lower sales. I will day-zero the Early Access release; hopefully it will prove me wrong.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Alphons Learned

Alphons
    Looking great! I'll be definitely supporting in Early Access, but I'll wait for a full game before playing.

I kinda feel disappointed that I (probably) won't be shanked by some random hobo after spoiling myself with combat demo 4 times already (though only 1 successfully all the way through).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Twiglard Liturgist

Twiglard
    I found most AoD factions hard despite beating the combat demo. Especially Thief, didn't even play praetor because of that.

^ Top  
  7. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    :hmmm:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    I really like how this is all shaping up.

Day one purchase for me, plus I'll be buying it for a friend.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Show Spoiler

:hmmm:
    :what:
    :rage:

:yeah:
    :bro::bro::bro::bro::bro:
    :fuuyeah:

Ahem...... seriously...

:whatho:

• Funny x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • No x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Rarre Novice

Rarre
    Looking forward... modern classic? We ll see... :kingcomrade:

^ Top  
  11. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
  12. Takamori Educated

Takamori
    Erection in progress!

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Flying Dutchman Educated

Flying Dutchman
    This is really cool. Full erection achieved.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Go on...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Flying Dutchman Educated

Flying Dutchman
    Can you elaborate or link me to a post of the critique?

^ Top  
  16. Fenix Prophet Vatnik

Fenix
    Good, probably will buy the game in EA.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MurkyShadow Glittering gem of hatred Patron

MurkyShadow
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    Though I don't plan to play Colony Ship in Early Access, I will support the game as soon
    as it releases there. And then we'll see if I can resist the urge to give it a spin anyways.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.