Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2 is a 3D sequel to the sci-fi roguelike

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Kerberos Productions; Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2

For the past fifteen years, the folks at Canadian indie studio Kerberos Productions have made a living releasing various games set in the universe of their debut sci-fi strategy title Sword of the Stars. One of these was the traditional roguelike Sword of the Stars: The Pit, which achieved a minor level of popularity when it was released back in 2012. Last month, Kerberos announced that they were developing a sequel, called simply Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2. In truth, it might be more accurate to call it a 3D remake rather than a sequel. It has the same premise as the original and will eventually include all of its features, including the DLC. In the long run, Kerberos hope to create some new content as well. Here's the game's trailer and the description from its Steam page:

"A deadly plague ravages your world. Your last hope: a legendary alien facility dug deep into the Feldspar Mountains...a massive Pit, built by the ancient Suul'ka."

After the success of our Indie, Roguelike hit Sword of the Stars: The Pit in 2012, it's time to celebrate its 10th anniversary in 2022! Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2 is an update of the fun, fast, and light-hearted turn-based original, taking the game from its 2D retro-roots and into a fully 3D game world.

While we begin by updating The Pit for the present, join us as we take The Pit series to a whole new world!

Initial Early Access Features
(this list will be updated along with the game build)
  • 5 Characters to choose from... Marine, Scout, Medic, and Engineer, and Gunny, a character hidden in the original game!
  • 25 Levels of ancient evil science for you to dive into!
  • Improve your character by increasing your skills to help you survive the depths.
  • Dozens of enemies drawn from the Sword of the Stars universe!
  • A wide variety of weapons and armors including guns, blades, flamethrowers, rocket launchers, and more!
  • Over 150 items to discover, ranging from the familiar to ancient exotic tech.
  • Crafting lets you make special items from bits and pieces of your enemies.
  • Disassembling lets you break up certain items into craftable components
  • Dozens of room types containing a host of exotic devices to help - or maybe hinder - your progress.
  • Discover and decipher hidden messages, crafting recipes, and pieces of Sword of the Stars lore!
  • Many fiendish ways to die including poisoning, disease, traps, radiation, starvation.
  • Rotatable player camera.
Lead Designer and CEO of Kerberos Productions, Martin Cirulis, discusses The Pit 2 and our plans for its future.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2 should be getting an Early Access release "soon", with the final launch planned four to six months afterwards. I don't know if those graphics are going to work, though.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
These devs are responsible for unleashing Fort Zombie on humanity. Those who know, know.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I've never seen a more repulsing trailer in my entire life.
The song is on par with the graphics, every single element of this game seems to consists of the same exact ratio of shit which is actually impressive.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
The first one had some good ideas and a lot of terrible ones. This one looks like the 3D equivalent of clip art, and has quite possibly the worst music I've ever heard in a trailer.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Indie roguelike (and "roguelike") sequels are going 3D now. This is at least the third one, after Risk of Rain 2 and Darkest Dungeon 2.

Not a roguelike, but I believe Anodyne 2 also was a 3D sequel to 2D pixel art Zelda clone.

This will happen more and more as it did in the 90s for mainstream games. Devs will want to differentiate their games from the bulk of what is on offer (and also just because they can).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I forgot I had the original from Gog. This.... meh.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Wow holy shit that is a massive downgrade in aesthetics.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Garbage low effort shit. I guess an actual Sword of Stars follow up isn't ever going to happen?

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Kerberos is still around? I thought they'd gone bankrupt years ago.

Not to mention Kerberos made dumpster fire Sword of the Stars 2 after success of first entry.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/42990/Sword_of_the_Stars_II_Enhanced_Edition/

They never fixed that one, and I thought it killed franchise and developer.
But, Paradox is publisher, so bar can hardly be lower.

Yeah, SotS II is an embarassment. They should be ashamed of the state it's in. Shame, too, because it has the nucleus of a good game hidden underneath all the bugs and unbearable slowness.

Edit: holy shit is that trailer abysmal :D Almost makes me sorry for shitting all over the BioSynth: Rising videos, even that looked about an infinity times better than this crap :D

LizardWizard

Cipher
Yeah, SotS II is an embarassment. They should be ashamed of the state it's in. Shame, too, because it has the nucleus of a good game hidden underneath all the bugs and unbearable slowness.

I'm pretty sure Paradox owns SOTSII. Yeah it definitely had potential with real support but PDX dumped it really quick.

ropetight

Scholar
Kerberos is still around? I thought they'd gone bankrupt years ago.

Not to mention Kerberos made dumpster fire Sword of the Stars 2 after success of first entry.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/42990/Sword_of_the_Stars_II_Enhanced_Edition/

They never fixed that one, and I thought it killed franchise and developer.
But, Paradox is publisher, so bar can hardly be lower.

Edit: holy shit is that trailer abysmal :D Almost makes me sorry for shitting all over the BioSynth: Rising videos, even that looked about an infinity times better than this crap :D

This Kerberos probably has nothing to do with company that made SotS, except IP and name.

They don't even mention SotS2 on their page.
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/#games

Also, they have History of Abandonware
https://store.steampowered.com/app/333210/KaijuAGoGo/

Trailer looks like it is made as MyFirstUnityProject by teenager of dubious talent.
So, hard pass for me.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ok... their music sucks and i hope that isn't in the game.
6 5 4 3 2 1....

dacencora

Indie roguelike (and "roguelike") sequels are going 3D now. This is at least the third one, after Risk of Rain 2 and Darkest Dungeon 2.

Not a roguelike, but I believe Anodyne 2 also was a 3D sequel to 2D pixel art Zelda clone.

This will happen more and more as it did in the 90s for mainstream games. Devs will want to differentiate their games from the bulk of what is on offer (and also just because they can).

You forgot the sequel to ADOM:

ULTIMATE ADOM

The 3D is pretty weird in that one.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
But its so easy.

All games getting the ROBLOX treatment:
Roblox-free-full-version.jpg

Anyway.... I remember the first review I saw of the original

Lords of winter

I will await a preview i can take mute off. And a review.

edit--
After posting that, I see this article: How to play Squid game online.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Jupiter Hell was first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom