Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2 is a 3D sequel to the sci-fi roguelike

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Kerberos Productions; Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2

For the past fifteen years, the folks at Canadian indie studio Kerberos Productions have made a living releasing various games set in the universe of their debut sci-fi strategy title Sword of the Stars. One of these was the traditional roguelike Sword of the Stars: The Pit, which achieved a minor level of popularity when it was released back in 2012. Last month, Kerberos announced that they were developing a sequel, called simply Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2. In truth, it might be more accurate to call it a 3D remake rather than a sequel. It has the same premise as the original and will eventually include all of its features, including the DLC. In the long run, Kerberos hope to create some new content as well. Here's the game's trailer and the description from its Steam page:

"A deadly plague ravages your world. Your last hope: a legendary alien facility dug deep into the Feldspar Mountains...a massive Pit, built by the ancient Suul'ka."

After the success of our Indie, Roguelike hit Sword of the Stars: The Pit in 2012, it's time to celebrate its 10th anniversary in 2022! Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2 is an update of the fun, fast, and light-hearted turn-based original, taking the game from its 2D retro-roots and into a fully 3D game world.

While we begin by updating The Pit for the present, join us as we take The Pit series to a whole new world!

Initial Early Access Features
    (this list will be updated along with the game build)
    • 5 Characters to choose from... Marine, Scout, Medic, and Engineer, and Gunny, a character hidden in the original game!
    • 25 Levels of ancient evil science for you to dive into!
    • Improve your character by increasing your skills to help you survive the depths.
    • Dozens of enemies drawn from the Sword of the Stars universe!
    • A wide variety of weapons and armors including guns, blades, flamethrowers, rocket launchers, and more!
    • Over 150 items to discover, ranging from the familiar to ancient exotic tech.
    • Crafting lets you make special items from bits and pieces of your enemies.
    • Disassembling lets you break up certain items into craftable components
    • Dozens of room types containing a host of exotic devices to help - or maybe hinder - your progress.
    • Discover and decipher hidden messages, crafting recipes, and pieces of Sword of the Stars lore!
    • Many fiendish ways to die including poisoning, disease, traps, radiation, starvation.
    • Rotatable player camera.
    Lead Designer and CEO of Kerberos Productions, Martin Cirulis, discusses The Pit 2 and our plans for its future.
    Sword of the Stars: The Pit 2 should be getting an Early Access release "soon", with the final launch planned four to six months afterwards. I don't know if those graphics are going to work, though.

• hopw roewur ne x 11
    • WTF am I reading x 4
    • Shit x 2
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    These devs are responsible for unleashing Fort Zombie on humanity. Those who know, know.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    Wow...talk about a low-effort follow-up. The Pit was really good (for a roguelike), and instead of a sequel we get this?

• Agree x 2
    • decline x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    I've never seen a more repulsing trailer in my entire life.
    The song is on par with the graphics, every single element of this game seems to consists of the same exact ratio of shit which is actually impressive.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Leechmonger Arbiter

Leechmonger
    The first one had some good ideas and a lot of terrible ones. This one looks like the 3D equivalent of clip art, and has quite possibly the worst music I've ever heard in a trailer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. gummy Novice

gummy
    Fucking hell that song is awful.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Where's the original Pit?

^ Top  
  8. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    ^ Top  
  9. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman The House Always Wins Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Indie roguelike (and "roguelike") sequels are going 3D now. This is at least the third one, after Risk of Rain 2 and Darkest Dungeon 2.

Not a roguelike, but I believe Anodyne 2 also was a 3D sequel to 2D pixel art Zelda clone.

This will happen more and more as it did in the 90s for mainstream games. Devs will want to differentiate their games from the bulk of what is on offer (and also just because they can).

^ Top  
  10. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I forgot I had the original from Gog. This.... meh.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    ^ Top  
  11. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Wow holy shit that is a massive downgrade in aesthetics.

^ Top  
  12. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    Garbage low effort shit. I guess an actual Sword of Stars follow up isn't ever going to happen?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ropetight Novice

ropetight
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Kerberos is still around? I thought they'd gone bankrupt years ago.

Yeah, SotS II is an embarassment. They should be ashamed of the state it's in. Shame, too, because it has the nucleus of a good game hidden underneath all the bugs and unbearable slowness.

Edit: holy shit is that trailer abysmal :D Almost makes me sorry for shitting all over the BioSynth: Rising videos, even that looked about an infinity times better than this crap :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    If we're on the topic of Kereberos' trailers with bad music, there's this gem:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    I'm pretty sure Paradox owns SOTSII. Yeah it definitely had potential with real support but PDX dumped it really quick.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ropetight Novice

ropetight
    This Kerberos probably has nothing to do with company that made SotS, except IP and name.

They don't even mention SotS2 on their page.
    http://www.kerberos-productions.com/#games

Also, they have History of Abandonware
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/333210/KaijuAGoGo/

Trailer looks like it is made as MyFirstUnityProject by teenager of dubious talent.
    So, hard pass for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Ok... their music sucks and i hope that isn't in the game.
    6 5 4 3 2 1....

^ Top  
  19. Peachcurl Learned

Peachcurl
    Will the inventory tetris be upgraded to 3D as well?

(Seriously now, are there games with a 3D inventory grid? :D)

^ Top  
  20. RhodokMasterRaceOfficial Arbiter

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    I guess they don't want to redeem themselves by doing SotS3 and not fucking it up.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This looks like a asset flip and a low effort one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. dacencora Learned

dacencora
    You forgot the sequel to ADOM:

ULTIMATE ADOM

The 3D is pretty weird in that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    But its so easy.

All games getting the ROBLOX treatment:
    [​IMG]
    Anyway.... I remember the first review I saw of the original

Lords of winter

I will await a preview i can take mute off. And a review.

edit--
    After posting that, I see this article: How to play Squid game online.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Good Lord!! I have no idea what this "remake" is/looks like because I had to immediately close out that video!! My goodness that music......... :rage::dead::rage:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Jupiter Hell was first.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.