Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Expeditions: Rome Dev Diary #15 - Companions

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Rome; Logic Artists; THQ Nordic

This week, THQ Nordic and Logic Artists will be formally introducing the companions of Expeditions: Rome. The developers originally intended to have only a large pool of relatively bare-bones hirelings as in Conquistador, but soon reached the decision to promote five of them to fully fledged companion status. You've got the usual assortment of ancient Roman archetypes - the centurion, the spy/assassin, the African gladiator, the educated Greek slave, and the Scythian amazon. A video will be released about each one every day starting from today, or you can just read about them all in the game's fifteenth dev diary. Here's the first video and an excerpt:

We have a lot to get through today, so let’s get started. Companions are a staple of the roleplaying genre. Originally an attempt to emulate the dynamics of a tabletop RPG group, they have become one of the most beloved and distinct aspects of the genre, and we daresay its greatest storytelling asset. With a sufficiently compelling set of main characters, a story can really tug on the player’s heartstrings – and one of the keys to making a group of characters appealing is to give them enough screen time for the player to get to know them. RPG-style companion characters are perfectly suited for this, as they typically follow the protagonist everywhere, participating in every scene and every crisis.

We’d love to say that we wanted to place our companions front and center in Expeditions: Rome right from the start, but that would be untrue. In fact, we originally envisioned something much more like Conquistador: a large pool of bare-bones praetorians who were mostly just a collection of names, portraits, and stats. The player would be able to assemble their team from these praetorians, and as they were all able to die permanently or be kicked out of the group at any time, none would be integral to the plot. Four of these praetorians did have a slightly special status as the starting party that we would use to tutorialize the four character classes, but once the tutorial was finished, they would be treated the same as any expendable praetorian.

But soon we ran into a problem: if we couldn’t count on the player to have at least 4 people on their team at any time, certain content in the game simply didn’t work. We decided to promote our four starting characters to “companion” status, making them functionally immortal in that their deaths would result in a game over, and then we added a fifth character to the group to ensure that you could fill a whole 6-person team with companions only. Once we had made this decision, we found ourselves investing more and more personality and agency in these four – after all, if we know these characters are always around, we can use them in dialogue and make them important parts of quests.

But let’s take a step back. Having decided that 5 is the number of companions the game will have, how do you decide who they should be? Well, a game – even a heavily story-based RPG – is first and foremost a mechanical thing, and since Expeditions: Rome offers 4 base character classes in combat, of course all classes must be represented among the companions. This spread of combat roles was the seed upon which we built the player’s tight knit second family. A good short-hand that we like to use to steer our creativity when designing characters is to assign a single title or nickname to each of them that hints at an archetype. Then each companion is fleshed out with details that either support that archetype or counter it, until you have a well-rounded character. Let’s go over them now:

The Centurion: Caeso Quinctius Aquilinus

Every Expeditions game is set in a particular culture at a particular time, and in our view that culture must be properly represented within the companion group. In Viking, we invented Asleifr as the stereotypical ruthless macho viking warrior. In Expeditions: Rome, Caeso represents the archetypical Roman centurion – a dutiful and disciplined veteran soldier who loves the Republic and will happily die to defend it.

But Caeso isn’t a stiff professional, he’s a bon vivant who likes wine, women, and for that matter men when the mood takes him. When you meet Caeso, he is well set in his ways, but eventually the consequences of his easy living will catch up to him, and his sense of duty and loyalty will be tested in equal measure.

In combat, Caeso is a Princeps (heavy infantryman). He wades into battle wielding the gladius and scutum of the Roman legionarius, his polished breastplate and his pristine helmet plume providing a fixed point in the chaotic skirmish for his friends to rally around.
As usual, the devstream for this topic is scheduled for Wednesday on January 12th.

Alter Sack

Magister
The cast seems certainly pretty diverse, eh?

The party in the trailer consists (apart from the featured character) of three women, one negro and an old white guy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
08_U8nFjD72ux.jpg.d66fb0ebd7eaffccbfc059489523bb8a.jpg

Using "creep" in this way dates back to the late 19th century and feels very anachronistic. Sloppy writing.

agris

Arcane
Patron
"creeps me out a bit" in this context is 100% modern writing, that does not look good.

deuxhero

Arcane
The exemplar (Aquilinus and Syneros), the iconoclast (Calida), and the newcomer (seemingly Deianeira) is always a good trio when exploring a detailed culture (be it historical or a well established fictional universe). I wonder how long Deianeira has been in Roman culture though. The player character explaining to her what the hell X Roman thing is would be a good way to convey information in character.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Using "creep" in this way dates back to the late 19th century and feels very anachronistic. Sloppy writing.

The writing in the Expeditions series is a bit like that. In Viking, I recall a few lines of the Pictish commander's dialogue using quite modern terms such as "Yea, kinda"

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd be more concerned about writing for a historical setting using phrases and terms 10-100 years old if the work was set in a period where recognizable English existed (1500 onward at maximum), and a record of the events could, conceivably, be translated to English. Otherwise it's way too deep a rabbit hole to care much about.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah pretty much, I've never found the Expeditions writing annoying unlike some other more recent games. Yeah, you could change a few of the words in some of the sentences to make them sound a bit cleaner but whatever.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
IMO using archaic English to represent ancient languages is kinda pointless. The Romans would have spoken in what to them was the most modern form of Latin, and representing that with modern English seems perfectly appropriate. The writers should just avoid slang and be careful with words that reference things that didn't exist 2000 years ago.

I do like that Expeditions is using Latin conjugations for Latin words, it gives a Roman flavor without going overboard. I'm sure someone like J. Sawyer would love to release a Rome RPG voided entirely in classical Latin.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
In fact, we originally envisioned something much more like Conquistador: a large pool of bare-bones praetorians who were mostly just a collection of names, portraits, and stats.
Still, each of them had some unique personal story event, some more than 1 and/or connected with other characters, while trait based events added personality. Also characters recruitable during the game had more story. Wouldn't call them "just a collection of names, portraits, and stats". If anything, the concept was refreshing and could be expanded by adding more events to flash out their personalities instead of replacing a bigger pool by a small number of full companions.

vibehunter

Learned

Nothing really wrong with this. If this were a game actually written in ancient Latin I would expect the "localization" team to deliver an approximate meaning of what is being conveyed in modern English. I don't see much difference here.

I find the presence of an actual woman there more problematic.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Nothing really wrong with this. If this were a game actually written in ancient Latin I would expect the "localization" team to deliver an approximate meaning of what is being conveyed in modern English. I don't see much difference here.

In fairness that woman is the PC and not a companion

I think the more I read about this game the less I am enthused. Not much interested in playing a classical cosplay version of contemporary culture.

vibehunter

Learned

In fairness that woman is the PC and not a companion

I think the more I read about this game the less I am enthused. Not much interested in playing a classical cosplay version of contemporary culture.

Ah, my mistake. I guess it never occurred to me that a player of this game would want to play a woman.

:hmmm:

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'd be more concerned about writing for a historical setting using phrases and terms 10-100 years old if the work was set in a period where recognizable English existed (1500 onward at maximum), and a record of the events could, conceivably, be translated to English. Otherwise it's way too deep a rabbit hole to care much about.
HBO's Rome managed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom