Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT: Nocturne

WhiteShark

Learned
I'll try and check out the JP Switch version when I get a chance to see if the script looks any different.

Sentinel

Arcane
TheSentinel
Can you give examples?
Original intro passage
諸の声聞に告ぐ-
我は未来世に於いて 三界の滅びるを見たり。

輪転の鼓、十方世界に其の音を演べれば
東の宮殿、光明をもって胎蔵に入る。

衆生は大悲にて 赤き霊となり、
諸魔は 此を追うが如くに出づ。

霊の蓮花に秘密主は立ち 理を示現す。
是れ即ち創世の法なり-。

Old translation of the passage
Call it what you will—A revelation from God, or a curse of the demon king. The fact remains that our world came to an end. A heretic called upon an unearthly light, and devastation ensued. Chaos crawled out of the depths of the ocean, from the black abyss. Death upon death... nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here... A voice in the dark beguiles me. "Truth is a mystery, unraveled by the candles' flames". — From the Journal of a Man who Wandered into Another World

New translation
Hear, O disciples, for I bear witness
to the dawn of destruction awaiting the Three Realms.

When the drums of Samsara resounds throughout the earth,
the Palace of the East, encompassed in radiant light,
shall slumber in the Womb.

All who live shall be no more;
their red souls of transgression
shall mark the rise of demons.

And lo, those who behold this great mystery
shall stand before the Lotus of Souls and speak
the Word of Reason; such is the Law of Creation

...So it is written.
The Scripture of Miroku, Chapter 4: Verse 24

Then you have the fact that in the og japanese, the demifiend pretty much only says yes/no. There's never any flowery replies like you have in the original western version (shit like "that's purrrrrrrfect").

Derringer

Prophet
Yeah, the new translation accuracy-wise towards the original japanese version is definitely more accurate but someone has to know where to get a transcript for Isamu's dialog.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Just a small example from the beginning of the game.

(Original) Isamu: Hurry up and get over to Yoyogi Park. You're wasting my quality time. I don't care if you come or not, but Ms. Takao's nice to me when you're around...

(New) Isamu: Just get to Yoyogi Park ASAP. Time's a-wastin'! Real talk, I'd prefer more of a "private counseling" scenario. Buuuut Ms. Takao IS a lot nicer when you're around...

Personally, I find the new version to be bloated and inelegant, and also changes how one would perceive that character. On the accuracy of the original translation, I can only go by what is written, such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei_III:_Nocturne#Localization in which they state:

"Rather than altering the script, Atlus translated it all faithfully from the original Japanese, preserving the original experience as far as possible.[49] For their work on the game's translation, the localization team were given access to the source files and Japanese strategy guide, which enabled them to avoid mistaking the genders of Kaneko's often highly androgynous designs."

I think they made it to be more in line with how the new JP VA sounds like. This abovementioned text is a phone message, so it is not voiced. But if you hear Isamu speaking, he does give off the same vibe even in JP, although the written dialogue definitely on its own isn't as exaggerated.

JP voiceacting:

Derringer

Prophet
It just sounds like your generic average anime dub to me, it doesn't really sound all that amazing, both dubs are kind of shit.

TheSoul

Scholar
j9nrvgavrg271.jpg

I think I'm going to stick to the ps2 version......

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Putting not-actually-present slang into a localization of a game is bad enough, putting modern slang into a game from 2003 is particularly egregious. So many American localizers are such hacks.

TumblingTorin

Educated
Wouldn't it been cheaper for them to just port the the old localization and translate the new stuff then to rewrite everything?

TheSoul

Scholar
Putting not-actually-present slang into a localization of a game is bad enough, putting modern slang into a game from 2003 is particularly egregious. So many American localizers are such hacks.

Just imagine less than 5 years from now, you play a new fantasy rpg from Bethesda/Ubisoft/every other shitty game company. Get a quest from a girl with purple hair who tells you how "pog" her town was before some "sus" bandits came in. Then you get the real quest, where she complains about how her dad doesn't have 10 pride flags in her house.

Atlus stop "localizing" my shit. I didn't want it in SMTFE, P5, and I still don't want it here.

Vorark

Erudite
To think that back in the PS2 days Atlus USA used to be praised for their overall good translations. Not perfect, but much better than what we used to get during the SNES/PS1 days. How the mighty have fallen.

All their localizations have had problems lately: EOV, Catherine, Persona 5, Nocturne remaster.

Endemic

Arcane
I think I'm going to stick to the ps2 version......

Interesting... I'm told in the German localization, that line is to the effect of "The Healing Lady is hot... you'll see when you get to the spring".

Tigranes

Arcane
So my bumbling first playthrough is going OK. I've played on Hard mostly, and its been pretty challenging but not ludicrously - seems like you always want to overcome the difficulty by fusing better suited demons for the job, which is great, though it can involve a bit of grinding in the sense that you might be going around hunting the right demons (and getting into theorycraft FOMO land). But that's a small price to pay for an overall excellent system.

At Amala Temple now, have also done Second Kalpa, at level ~55 MC, Daisoujou's been game changer just with Meditation and Prayer. Matador was good for a while, playing around with the likes of Mizuchi/Qing Long and starting to look at Riders.

Do people end up setting up sustainability builds? I don't know if you can get stuff like Drain Attack, Mana Refill, etc. to get a build that replenishes itself indefinitely.

And how do people tend to punch through into truly high damage territory? I'm just bumbling about, and my suboptimal party often can beat bosses but it's a drawn out process, relying on buffs & Daisojou. I think the best single-move damage I can do is just Divine Strike + Might crit on MC (~600 max?), but for example I found a boss that max-heals itself every round so clearly needs much better damage setups.

Vorark

Erudite
Do people end up setting up sustainability builds? I don't know if you can get stuff like Drain Attack, Mana Refill, etc. to get a build that replenishes itself indefinitely.

Depends. The only self-sustainable demon I had was Daisoujou. Been years since my last playthrough, but I think I had him set up as buff/debuffer (War Cry, Debilitate), healer (Mediarahan, later Victory Cry) and portable MP battery (Makatora to transfer MP to other party members and Meditation to replenish it).

Mana Refill is okay for dungeon delving, whereas Mana Drain can be useful during battles of attrition. I skipped both 'cause Daisoujou did cover most of the party MP needs. He is indeed a game changer.

And how do people tend to punch through into truly high damage territory? I'm just bumbling about, and my suboptimal party often can beat bosses but it's a drawn out process, relying on buffs & Daisojou. I think the best single-move damage I can do is just Divine Strike + Might crit on MC (~600 max?), but for example I found a boss that max-heals itself every round so clearly needs much better damage setups.

I'm assuming you went for a physical build based on what skills your MC has, so battle flow is usually: buff/debuff as soon as possible (War Cry & Debilitate) -> have the MC use Focus -> unleash your highest hitting attack on the next turn (by late game will probably be Freikugel, Deathbound/Deadly Fury) -> rinse and repeat. Your other party members should take care of healing, de/buffs and weakness exploitation.

If you intend to explore the depths of Amala, Pierce skill is a must; Endure is highly recommended too.

deuxhero

Arcane
To think that back in the PS2 days Atlus USA used to be praised for their overall good translations. Not perfect, but much better than what we used to get during the SNES/PS1 days. How the mighty have fallen.

All their localizations have had problems lately: EOV, Catherine, Persona 5, Nocturne remaster.
Don't forget rewriting 13 sentinels to add social justice warrior crap by completely changing a character.

Tigranes

Arcane

Depends. The only self-sustainable demon I had was Daisoujou. Been years since my last playthrough, but I think I had him set up as buff/debuffer (War Cry, Debilitate), healer (Mediarahan, later Victory Cry) and portable MP battery (Makatora to transfer MP to other party members and Meditation to replenish it).

Mana Refill is okay for dungeon delving, whereas Mana Drain can be useful during battles of attrition. I skipped both 'cause Daisoujou did cover most of the party MP needs. He is indeed a game changer.

I'm assuming you went for a physical build based on what skills your MC has, so battle flow is usually: buff/debuff as soon as possible (War Cry & Debilitate) -> have the MC use Focus -> unleash your highest hitting attack on the next turn (by late game will probably be Freikugel, Deathbound/Deadly Fury) -> rinse and repeat. Your other party members should take care of healing, de/buffs and weakness exploitation.

If you intend to explore the depths of Amala, Pierce skill is a must; Endure is highly recommended too.

Thanks. Yeah, MC's now on Divine Strike & Deathbound, and I've been trying to maintain the buff/debuffs across demons for flexible use.

It seems like MCs can only ever learn each skill once, and if you throw it out, it's gone forever? Finally let go of Tornado+Focus Boost at ~lv60 on, yes, physical MC.

BTW, the Yankeeisms seem to be set for specific characters - primarily Isamu and then a few of the extras. I actually enjoyed it a lot on the two dumbass Manikins going for the demon summoning. I obviously can't speak to how it compares, though.

Vorark

Erudite
It seems like MCs can only ever learn each skill once, and if you throw it out, it's gone forever? Finally let go of Tornado+Focus Boost at ~lv60 on, yes, physical MC.

Yes, if you discard the skill it's gone. A bit annoying for a first playthrough, when you're learning the ins and outs of the system.

If you wanna keep at least one heavy hitting spell on the MC, Tornado can be replaced by Bolt Storm or Glacial Blast, since high level enemies are commonly weak to either elec or ice element. Both spells have a chance to inflict paralyze/freeze too, wasting their turns.

Another good debuff I forgot to mention is Fog Breath. The support skills you wanna have available at all times are:

War Cry - lowers attack 2x; equals to casting Tarunda twice
Fog Breath - lowers agility 2x; equals to casting Sukunda twice
Debilitate - lowers attack, agility and defense 1x; equals to casting Tarunda, Sukunda and Rakunda once but all in one go.
Dekunda - useful to quickly remove the effects of -nda spells cast on you, including War Cry/Fog Breath.

Taunt (raises enemy attack 2x, lowers defense 2x) + Dekaja (removes the effects of -aja spells) is also a viable tactic, albeit more risky if you don't time it right.

Tigranes

Arcane
Vorark thanks, that's great info. I do use War Cry & Fog Breath a lot, but haven't really found Debilitate yet. I do enjoy how de/buffs make a visible difference in this game (and for some bosses is literally difference between 1-hit KO or not). Good old JRPG convention that you can never actually see any of that info, of course.

I also enjoy how instadeath skills are actually worthwhile for both sides, though there's nothing like 2 hours being lost in some dungeon then god damn dying to a first-turn instakill spell on MC with no chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom