Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT: Nocturne

vibehunter

Learned
So, is this a good jumping in point for someone who's never played SMT or Persona?

Although I am a little reluctant now with how shit the PC port is looking to be.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So, is this a good jumping in point for someone who's never played SMT or Persona?

Although I am a little reluctant now with how shit the PC port is looking to be.

Game's fucking great, and a good entry point for the series.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yes it is. Game is an absolute classic, and plays very well.

More modern games have more QoL features, the more important ones with the demon fusion system, but overall the game has aged very well.

Nathir

Liturgist

It has no dating sim elements, no high schools, no waifus and no wish fulfillment.

Terrible, avoid at all costs.

It has no dating sim elements, no high schools, no waifus and no wish fulfillment.

Terrible, avoid at all costs.
What do you mean, the literal objective of the game is to have your wish granted.

vibehunter

Learned

More modern games have more QoL features, the more important ones with the demon fusion system, but overall the game has aged very well.

Cool. I'm looking forward to playing it, but would you say it's worth $50? Hefty price tag for what seems to be a very subpar port.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Cool. I'm looking forward to playing it, but would you say it's worth $50? Hefty price tag for what seems to be a very subpar port.
Absolutely not worth it if you have already played it. Probably worth it if you haven't.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

If it's too expensive for you try to emulate the PS2 version with PCSX2. It works well.

The pc port doesn't look good, so I'm not going to buy it. And I have purchased smt4 smt4:apocalypse, persona 4 golden, persona 5 and devil survivor over the years because I like the franchise a lot.

vibehunter

Learned

If it's too expensive for you try to emulate the PS2 version with PCSX2. It works well.

The pc port doesn't look good, so I'm not going to buy it. And I have purchased smt4 smt4:apocalypse, persona 4 golden, persona 5 and devil survivor over the years because I like the franchise a lot.

It's not too expensive. But $50 sets expectations for a certain level of quality.

I might just start with P4G instead.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not too expensive. But $50 sets expectations for a certain level of quality.

Make sure you don't mind the social sim aspect and the very,very slow start. If those don't bother you, the game is very good and charming.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

The remaster has incorporated skill transfer for fusing demons.

This may not mean anything to you, but it's a huge QoL improvement. If you haven't played it before, it's worth buying.

SMT III is miles better as an RPG than the newer persona games that are basically dating/school sims. P4 combat segments are boring, repetitive crap.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The remaster has incorporated skill transfer for fusing demons.

This may not mean anything to you, but it's a huge QoL improvement. If you haven't played it before, it's worth buying.

SMT III is miles better as an RPG than the newer persona games that are basically dating/school sims. P4 combat segments are boring, repetitive crap.

That's great addition to the remaster.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
There is one thing I have never understood. Why is it called "Nocturne"?

Because sounds Cool. Just like why they decide to call Lucifer's Call in EU.
SMT3 was the first Mainline SMT that had a localization , so they couldn't exctally call just Shin Megami Tensei III , when they and still didn't released 1 and 2 here, people would be confused.. Also Shin Megami Tensei isn't exctally the english name out there, they had to put something more common, hence Nocturne.

Anonona

Learned
SMT3 was the first Mainline SMT that had a localization , so they couldn't exctally call just Shin Megami Tensei III , when they and still didn't released 1 and 2 here, people would be confused.. Also Shin Megami Tensei isn't exctally the english name out there, they had to put something more common, hence Nocturne.

It seems the original Japanese version was also called Nocturne. In fact out of Japan we received a version called SMT III Nocturne Maniax, but the Maniax subtitle was localized out of the cover, which was a special edition that added Dante and the True Demon route.

According to the wiki, at one point in development it was going to be called SMT: Vortex, refering to the Vortex World. My speculations are that Nocturne may had been used either because of how it contrast with its predecesors, breaking the formula of the classic Law vs Chaos narrative, or perhaps is because the Kagatsuchi plays an important role both in the gameplay and the story and it kinds of looks like a moon shinning on the vortex world.

And because it sounds cool.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
"Nocturne" suggest the idea of "night". But the setting, a deserted Tokyo continuously blazed by light, an inverted hollow spherical world with a god light-source set in its center, is everything but nocturnal.

Deflowerer

Arcane

It seems the original Japanese version was also called Nocturne. In fact out of Japan we received a version called SMT III Nocturne Maniax, but the Maniax subtitle was localized out of the cover, which was a special edition that added Dante and the True Demon route.

According to the wiki, at one point in development it was going to be called SMT: Vortex, refering to the Vortex World. My speculations are that Nocturne may had been used either because of how it contrast with its predecesors, breaking the formula of the classic Law vs Chaos narrative, or perhaps is because the Kagatsuchi plays an important role both in the gameplay and the story and it kinds of looks like a moon shinning on the vortex world.

And because it sounds cool.

The theme of the game according to Okada was "creation from chaos". But yeah, the whole point of the game was that it would be more "Oriental" vs the previous entries which were based on the Western Judeo-Christian juxtaposition of Law and Chaos.

Sentinel

Arcane
PC version of Nocturne HD includes all the versions of the game ever released - Vanilla (previously unavailable in the west), Maniax (released in US & EU) and Chronicle (Japan only).

This vanilla version is absent from the console releases.

Sentinel

Arcane
Vanilla was harder (had different balancing especially on monsters that would show up in random encounters & instant death spells success rating)

Other than that, it had no bonus for keeping Pixie around, had no TDE ending, had no Fiends/Labyrinth of Amala, no Pierce, no bosses as allies, no Dante/Raidou.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom