Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Owlcat's next game is a turn-based Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader

Ever since we learned back in 2020 that Owlcat Games were hiring people to develop a turn-based science fiction RPG, there have been persistent rumors that said game would be set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. I'm not sure if there was a basis for these rumors or if it was just wishful thinking, but when Owlcat began teasing an announcement a couple of weeks before the annual Warhammer Skulls event, it became clear that they were quite true. Today they officially unveiled Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, an isometric turn-based RPG in which players will assume the role of a freewheeling space privateer tasked with expanding the borders of the Imperium into the uncharted Koronus Expanse. That's right, it's Pathfinder: Kingmaker IN SPACE. Here's the game's announcement trailer and the accompanying post:

We are thrilled to announce Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - the first classic roleplaying game with turn-based combat set in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium. The World Premiere, including the first glimpse of gameplay, was announced at the Warhammer Skulls Showcase. Those of you who are eager to get your hands on the early version of the game and help us with the development can obtain our Founder’s Packs; they are already available on the game’s website.

This time you will take on the role of a Rogue Trader, a scion of an ancient dynasty of daring privateers that reign over their own merchant empire and explore the fringes of Imperial space with the blessing of the Emperor Himself. Thanks to their Warrant of Trade - the Rogue Trader is endowed with privileges and power beyond imagination as well as the task of expanding the borders of the Imperium. At their disposal is a gargantuan voidship of immense strength and innumerable personnel ready to follow any undertakings of the leader. Show your subjects mercy or disdain, stay faithful to the Emperor, or consort with enemies of Mankind - every decision and every act of the Rogue Trader sends ripples throughout entire star systems, changing the in-game world and those who inhabit it.

The action will unfold in the Koronus Expanse, a dangerous and unexplored region on the far frontiers of the Imperium of Man. Many explorers have fallen victim to this dangerous place and never returned.

Remarkable and sophisticated companions are one of the pillars of cRPGs, and Rogue Trader is not an exception. A mighty Space Marine, a mercurial Aeldari Ranger, or even a courageous Sister of Battle armed with bolter and ardent prayers are just a few of the many characters that will join the Rogue Trader during your adventures.

Starting today, you can support the game by purchasing one of the Founder’s Packs. Become a part of the team behind Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader! Those who decide to support the developers early will gain access to the Alpha and Beta versions of the game, help the team to shape the experience with their feedback, and receive a set of unique rewards and items available only to early supporters.​

It doesn't look like Rogue Trader is going to be crowdfunded, but it is available for preorder with a number of Kickstarter-like tiers. You can grab the basic game including beta access for $40, a premium edition with preorder bonus items will cost you $50 and alpha access is available for $100. The game doesn't have a launch date yet, but the preorder FAQ reveals that the alpha build will be available this year and that the beta is launching next year.

Humanophage

Arcane
A somewhat unfortunate style for something so focused on atmosphere as Warhammer 40k. It was understandable in Pathfinder, which has a cringe art style, but why here? Also, shame that Warhammer 40k is known to be fairly non-woke (unlike Pathfinder) so you are permitted to make non-woke games in it, but Owlcat is already corrupted and will probably insert a ton of BIPOC2SLGBTQ+.

That said, a long Pathfinder-style RPG set in Warhammer 40k does sound extremely appealing.

I am somewhat hyped.
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't look like it embraces my favorite part of Rogue Trader: Starship construction/Space Combat.

Bleh.
Be careful what you wish for. The HoMM minigame fell a bit short of its inspiration last time :D
I'm hyped, but I really hope they don't add a pointless separate minigame alongside.

Humanophage

Arcane
Doesn't look like it embraces my favorite part of Rogue Trader: Starship construction/Space Combat.

Bleh.
Be careful what you wish for. The HoMM minigame fell a bit short of its inspiration last time :D
I'm hyped, but I really hope they don't add a pointless separate minigame alongside.
To be honest, I am not sure why some people disliked the kingdom part so much. It was just an easy strategy that added some flavour.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Getting another space opera RPG is always a good thing, but so many things can go wrong here. I say that even as someone who isn't really into the setting, about as casual as casual gets when it comes to Warhammer.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Well that's unexpected. Plenty of people have been calling for a 40k CRPGs, for years.

We'll have to see how it develops. Judging by the trailer alone, needs to be more grimdark by like, 40%.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Judging by the trailer alone, needs to be more grimdark by like, 40%.
The in-game graphics are fine, but those "cut scenes" have the wrong style.

Agreed, feels like I'm watching some kid's show. Doesn't bode well that they've made this mistake, who knows what other blatant mistakes they're making for the actual game...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Judging by the trailer alone, needs to be more grimdark by like, 40%.
The in-game graphics are fine, but those "cut scenes" have the wrong style.

Agreed, feels like I'm watching some kid's show. Doesn't bode well that they've made this mistake, who knows what other blatant mistakes they're making for the actual game...

Even the in-game graphics could stand to be more similar to 40k's usual aesthetic. I understand that Owlcat has a certain artstyle (not to mention they're probably using the same artists) but it doesn't match the 40k tone at all.

Then again, looking at the last few 40k games that released, it's not entirely unusual either. Me thinks Games Workshop is trying to tone their setting down for mainstream appeal.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Bleh.

I hope they have a trap minigame where you have to guide the tranny rogue trader through a number of social interactions and stealth sequences in order to seduce a Space Marine. How well you do determines whether he leaves his faction to join the crew, executes you, or falls to Chaos.

lightbane

Arcane
In one hand, yay, finally a CRPG about WH40k, decades late! On the other hand, Owlcat's writing makes Fallout 3 seem readable. Also, not sure how will combat mechanics work? WH40k PnP's combat is hyper-lethal and can be solved quite quickly once someone is hit hard enough, friend or foe.
If they're using the actual PnP books' rules... The classes themselves were a bit wonky, but the "alternate classes with another name" somewhat fixed it. A Genetor can outgun and outtank anything in combat (as in most PnP games with Techpriests) and the Psyker class was quite OP too, if not as powerful as other games.

zapotec

Liturgist
I bet that the 40k it's not related to the warhammer setting but to the amount of bugs at release.

Anyway, i wonder what ruleset will they implement? Imho starfinder adapted to the warhammer setting. It will be probably shit btw.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Cut-scenes look atrocious, it's nook it from orbit material. Pathfinder was boring. 50g on my SSD wasted. I send it to hell.

The only thing that I like about the setting are the tech priests of mars.

There is no truth in Owlcat, only betrayal.
There is no strength in Owlcat, only weakness.
There is no constancy in Owlcat, only decay.
There is no certainty in Owcat but death.

Praise the Omnissiah!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom