Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Those tits are some of the best tits in all of the incline RPG's.

ferratilis

Magister
Baulder's Gate 3. Swen never disappoints.
lwh4w876gp171.png

image.png

Brancaleone

Prophet
ToEE is an odd one for me, the detail and the composition are excellent, I love it in those respects, but the perspective keeps throwing me off. It's like the objects and the terrain are shown from different angles or something, I dunno, I can't put my finger on it but it's there. Like right here in this image, my brain keeps struggling to reconcile the angle on the house with the angle on the road. Is it just me? Should I drink more?
I get the same feeling, like buildings are isometric, terrain is bird's view.

FriendlyMerchant

A bunch of AAA action RPGs, because people didn't read the title "Best looking crpg".
Is CRPG a specific genre again instead of computer rpgs? I can't keep up with this site
If you interpret "computer RPG" to mean any RPG available on PC, it becomes an utterly meaningless and useless term. 99.999% of all RPGs ever made are available on Steam/GOG or with an emulator. Games like Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3 self-evidently don't belong to the same category as games likes ToEE or Pillars of Eternity.
The C means companions-RPG,
No. The C means "coom" or "cum."

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
For CRPGs with 3D graphics, these are unfortunately subject to aging as technology has improved. Even Morrowind, with its strong aesthetics, which looked brilliant upon release in 2002, can no longer be said to be good-looking without mods to improve the meshes and textures, and to add other features such as shading that didn't exist or were limited at the time.

The Legend of Grimrock games are notable for their excellent 3D graphics despite being a grid-based blobber; since each game-world is quite limited in scope, due to being a dungeon-crawler rather than an Open World game, the small team was nonetheless able to create beautiful graphics that still stand after a decade:

i4ibxs.jpg

The second game even allowed the player to view freely in 3D, outside the normal boundaries defined by the grid:
0ngmxn.jpg

Kruyurk

Learned
No. The C means "coom" or "cum."
Those kind are the R-rated RPGs, the R stands for "romances". How is little Timmy going to convince his parents to buy him a cum-RPG? His mother already raised an eyebrow at the sight of the scantily clad elf lady on the cover art. Romance on the other hand, appeals to the Romanticism of the 18th century, how refined!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
TES: Morrowind. Yeah the graphics are blocky and just plain bad by today's standards, but I'll never forget coming out of the cargo hold at the start of the game and seeing the Silt Rider off in the distance, the sun hitting rippling water, and the giant mushrooms and alien vegetation. It really made a first impression and told me I was in for something really special.

What in the Nine Hells is that? Is that dude supposed to be an orc? I almost expect him to tell the party his pronouns.
Solasta is a surprisingly uneven game when it comes to production value.
While some parts of it (like some scenarios) look surprisingly good given its shoestring budget, others like the character models are notoriously hideous.
It doesn't help that this screenshot also shows an infamous glitch with beards not gluing correctly on faces.

That aside, another vote for Deadfire (which almost perfected the "2D isometric look" at least when it comes to environment) and Baldur's Gate 3 is admittedly another strong candidate, even if I'm not exceedingly fond of SOME of its aesthetic choices.
I guess Dragon Age Inquisition could deserve a honorable mention, too. Personally I'm not really a fan of the game itself (and in fact there are several parts of it that I consider genuinely terrible) and there is a lot about it that I don't like stylistically, but it's hard to deny that in terms of production value it was on the top of the pile for a while.

And since I can separate fondness and nostalgy from an aesthetic evaluation... No, I can't mention Fallout 1 and 2 or Arcanum as "best looking" games in the genre, for fuck sake.

P.S. While it seems like a lost semantic battle at this point, with a lot of people just giving up on the nuance, I'm with Butter about the fact that no matter how the term originated, you can't extend the "CRPG" definition to anything that is "roleplay but as a videogame", otherwise you are going to dilute the term to the point of losing all meaning.
Over the years, the term "CRPG" went to assume a very specific acceptation to indicate a specific type of RPG s. Namely these COMPUTER-centric games usually focused around replicating tabletop mechanics and managing an extended party rather than a single character.
The only reason the term is still used even when limiting the discussion to videogames is precisely to differentiate it from console RPGs/JRPGs/action RPGs and so on.

P.P.S. While it was far from perfect and it undeniably shows its age now, I still think that ToEE was a genuine looker at the time and I rate it above the rest of the Troika production in that sense.
I also remember that I used to love the way BG1 and 2 looked at the time and I considered both gorgeous at the time, but since the question isn't "What looked good at the time" but rather "what is the best looking" I'd have a hard time picking titles with a 800x600 resolution, super-pixellated sprites and 15 fps by default over anything more modern like Deadfire or BG3.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Was that project Aeon? Actually, I wish there were more electronic versions of the gamebooks. The phone/tablet is pretty damn perfect for that as collecting the books is quite a feat (esp in mint condition).

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
Queens Wish reaches a level of aesthetic perfection never before seen in a CRPG.
iu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom