Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 55 JRPGs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The RPG Codex has published a number of top RPG lists and even a top non-RPG list, but it appears we never got around to organizing an official top JRPG list. Earlier this year, community member Gastrick decided to do something about that and set up a poll which ran for a month over the summer. He's already published the results in our forums, but now they have the front page stamp of approval. To no one's surprise, the Codex's favorite JRPG is eroge classic Sengoku Rance. There are plenty of other details to parse out in the list, which Gastrick has also split out by subgenre and individual series.

Read the full article: RPG Codex Top 55 JRPGs

grimace

Arcane
Whoopsies.

Looks like we are gonna need to audit votes, throw out ballots, and hold another JRPG election to crown a new queen.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Whoopsies.

Looks like we are gonna need to audit votes, throw out ballots, and hold another JRPG election to crown a new queen.
This is already the second one. The first one was incredibly shameful for multiple reasons.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Thanks again for the work put into this, Gastrick . This was fun, elucidating, and rekindled in me a modicum of hope that maybe codexians may have at least passable taste.

somerandomdude

Learned
Chrono Trigger, Lufia 2, Suikoden 2, Xenogears, Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force 2, Dragon Warrior III, Romancing Saga III, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ys Oath in Felghana, Valkyrie Profile, Terranigma, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle, Dragon Quest V- definitely agree on these.

jdinatale

Cipher
Garbage elitist/hipster list that puts obscure games over more popular/mainstream ones just to feel smug/superior. It’s objectively wrong not to have Final Fantasy VII or X in the top 55. There aren’t 55 jrpg’s better than those.

Sengoku Rance at #1 is a pure autism take.

Also no Legend of Mana or Chrono Cross. And finally, no King’s Field is the biggest indicator that this is trash tier.

somerandomdude

Learned
King's Field 2 (US, 3 in Japan) definitely deserves a spot IMO on a top 55 list. Also, what about Shadow Tower: Abyss? It got a fan translation, and I thought it was a pretty solid king's field-like, also made by From Software. I liked it better than King's Field: The Ancient City. So, if you like King's Field games and haven't played Shadow Tower: Abyss, what are you waiting for? Also, Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land and Busin 0 (haven't played this, but people say it's like Forsaken Land, just better). I'd put all those games on my top 55 JRPG list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom