Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 55 JRPGs

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Is this the list of top 55 games to avoid? Just making sure.
If you don't like jRPGs in general, why comment? Otherwise, it's a fine list

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Of the top 20 Japanese-developed RPGs from the original poll, there are at least 8 quality games:
  1. Dark Souls (Action RPG)
  2. Dragon's Dogma (Action RPG)
  3. Final Fantasy Tactics (Tactics with RPG elements)
  4. NieR: Automata (Action with RPG elements)
  5. Final Fantasy VI (JRPG)
  6. Bloodborne (Action with RPG elements)
  7. Final Fantasy IX (JRPG)
  8. Demon's Souls (Action RPG)

h91ik8.png

Alex

Arcane
Of the top 20 Japanese-developed RPGs from the original poll, there are at least 8 quality games:
  1. Dark Souls (Action RPG)
  2. Dragon's Dogma (Action RPG)
  3. Final Fantasy Tactics (Tactics with RPG elements)
  4. NieR: Automata (Action with RPG elements)
  5. Final Fantasy VI (JRPG)
  6. Bloodborne (Action with RPG elements)
  7. Final Fantasy IX (JRPG)
  8. Demon's Souls (Action RPG)

h91ik8.png
Remove the "RPG" part and you would be closer to the truth.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was actually a bit confused by the inclusion of most of these you listed as they're not jRPGs but "Western-style" Japanese games... kinda.

There are good Japanese games for sure, but there's something deeply unsettling about most jRPGs (and anime) that I cannot overlook. Toddlers wielding broadswords twice their size, sexualised children... dunno man... just nope.

The Japanese have done a lot of good things, but I find the infantilism in a significant portion of their games irritating.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I was actually a bit confused by the inclusion of most of these you listed as they're not jRPGs but "Western-style" Japanese games... kinda.
This is why it's vital to distinguish between country of origin (Japanese-developed games) and the JRPG subgenre. The latter is the only major CRPG subgenre to be founded by Japanese developers, but they had already created a multitude of other games in the style of Wizardry and Ultima, would soon develop a number of Underworld-likes beginning with King's Field in 1994, and would eventually create several high-quality Action RPGs, in particular Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is why it's vital to distinguish between country of origin (Japanese-developed games) and the JRPG subgenre. The latter is the only major CRPG subgenre to be founded by Japanese developers, but they had already created a multitude of other games in the style of Wizardry and Ultima, would soon develop a number of Underworld-likes beginning with King's Field in 1994, and would eventually create several high-quality Action RPGs, in particular Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma.
I agree. It makes no sense to include these clearly West-influenced RPGs in a kiddie jRPG list.

Ash

Arcane

There are good Japanese games for sure, but there's something deeply unsettling about most jRPGs (and anime) that I cannot overlook. Toddlers wielding broadswords twice their size, sexualised children... dunno man... just nope.

The Japanese have done a lot of good things, but I find the infantilism in a significant portion of their games irritating.

I feel the exact same way about those tropes. The art styles are grotesque, the characters off-putting, and the sounds - grunts and squeals...there is no god. But there are a shitton of Jap games (if we're also not just talking JRPGs) that are outstanding, and even in the JRPG realm there is some real quality.
I can't hold JP too accountable for their distasteful choices when the west is also seriously declined, pumping out worthless game after worthless game. Walking sims, cinematic shit fests, games with retard-tier gameplay, and feminist-infested trash.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I think the 3 most definitive JRPG series are Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Phantasy Star. None of those games have toddlers or sexualized children (as far as I know). Most NES and PC-98 JRPGs I can think of don't have that stuff, either. What kind of JRPGs are you thinking of? I don't think even Shin Megami Tensei is like that.

S.torch

Arbiter
I agree. It makes no sense to include these clearly West-influenced RPGs in a kiddie jRPG list.

Most JRPGs are "West-influenced". Things like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and others were created taking inspiration from classic western fantasy, the thing is Japanese actually have creativity, so they put their own style on the genres they took inspiration from. I know for this may be too complicated to understand, since the West today is almost completely devoid of any spark of creativity and its adepts get confused when stumbling upon anything that has a bit of it. But at least make the effort to don't appear like a wilful grunt.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I think the 3 most definitive JRPG series are Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Phantasy Star. None of those games have toddlers or sexualized children (as far as I know). Most NES and PC-98 JRPGs I can think of don't have that stuff, either. What kind of JRPGs are you thinking of? I don't think even Shin Megami Tensei is like that.
I somehow fear this will end with Rincewind owning every Compile Heart/Idea Factory game with matching body pillows of the heroines.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I was gonna play the Neptunia series because I'm a big SEGA fan and I heard it was this big SEGA fanservice series, but then I looked it up on Steam and saw the screenshots. Bruh, you've got to have zero shame to play that shit as an adult man.

Stick to the JRPGs of the 80s and 90s, Rincewind. Anything past that is gonna be uber queer.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was gonna play the Neptunia series because I'm a big SEGA fan and I heard it was this big SEGA fanservice series, but then I looked it up on Steam and saw the screenshots. Bruh, you've got to have zero shame to play that shit as an adult man.
That's what I'm talking about, exactly.

Stick to the JRPGs of the 80s and 90s, @Rincewind. Anything past that is gonna be uber queer.
Yeah I'm still planning to play FFVII and FFVIII one day. That's about my limit. Plus I kinda liked Septerra Core when I tried it on release, but I was young and foolish then...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom