Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 55 JRPGs

S.torch

Arbiter
They shouldn't be provoked by a poll, no-one else is. But that's kind of irrelevant anyway. The CT fan has displayed retardism which I'm starting to associate with their fanbase. I just think it's funny.

You should admit that you only post that poll everywhere possible because you want to find more people who agree with it, only to be rejected yet again. It's horribly rated even here.

If someone posted a poll on codex where the best RPGs were Skyrim, Fallout 4 and I don't know, Mass Effect, no one would be provoked either right? It's a natural reaction when you see something ridiculous about a topic you care about, ridiculous like that poll.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Definitely missed an opportunity to include FF7 in the list to make more people seethe, given how CT has sparked such outrage despite being so low in the list.

Falksi

Arcane
They shouldn't be provoked by a poll, no-one else is. But that's kind of irrelevant anyway. The CT fan has displayed retardism which I'm starting to associate with their fanbase. I just think it's funny.

You should admit that you only post that poll everywhere possible because you want to find more people who agree with it, only to be rejected yet again. It's horribly rated even here.

If someone posted a poll on codex where the best RPGs were Skyrim, Fallout 4 and I don't know, Mass Effect, no one would be provoked either right? It's a natural reaction when you see something ridiculous about a topic you care about, ridiculous like that poll.

I posted it to give people a different perspective on gaming coming from a CRPG/PC set of orientated people, to help broaden their horizons. A lot of the conversations are quite reasonable, I just have to post the funny ones here. The fact that most the daft comments come from CT fans isn't something I can help.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
One thing this thread proves is everything about JRPGs is cringe

S.torch

Arbiter
I posted it to give people a different perspective on gaming coming from a CRPG/PC set of orientated people, to help broaden their horizons. A lot of the conversations are quite reasonable, I just have to post the funny ones here. The fact that most the daft comments come from CT fans isn't something I can help.

>PC oriented people
>Half the games in the list are exclusives of rare consoles that were never ported

Okeeey.... well, aside from that there's no intelligent form to reply to the meme in the previous page: Is a meme entirely from a redditor. If someone doesn't like the things mentioned in that midwit meme is because he doesn't like the JRPG genre. Things mentioned there are inherent to almost every RPG in it, including the most prominent but also some of the most obscure that are in this list. If he doesn't like games focused on eye-catching characters, or particulares stories, should go to play his roguelike, his roguelite, or his roguewhatever with procedually generated scenarios, with no story and no characters. In the way can pick any pseudointellectual story where the protagonist is an idiot, so it can fill his need for pretending to be a clever pseud.

Even more, I think the reply from back is bad because it tries to refute the midwit image. I would simply say: Is that type of story and what? I like those stories and if you don't like them, take off to any pseud crap you suck up.

Falksi

Arcane

>PC oriented people
>Half the games in the list are exclusives of rare consoles that were never ported

Okeeey.... well, aside from that there's no intelligent form to reply to the meme in the previous page: Is a meme entirely from a redditor. If someone doesn't like the things mentioned in that midwit meme is because he doesn't like the JRPG genre. Things mentioned there are inherent to almost every RPG in it, including the most prominent but also some of the most obscure that are in this list. If he doesn't like games focused on eye-catching characters, or particulares stories, should go to play his roguelike, his roguelite, or his roguewhatever with procedually generated scenarios, with no story and no characters. In the way can pick any pseudointellectual story where the protagonist is an idiot, so it can fill his need for pretending to be a clever pseud.

Even more, I think the reply from back is bad because it tries to refute the midwit image. I would simply say: Is that type of story and what? I like those stories and if you don't like them, take off to any pseud crap you suck up.

You can do this thing called emulate console games on a PC. PC players often do this.

That's definitely a point of view to consider.

Barbarian

Arcane
ITT, my shitty take on jrpgs:

They were great when I was a kid... maybe until my late teens. I had a lot of fun playing Chrono Cross at release and then discovering Chrono Thriger for instance. Ditto for Final Fantasy series and others.

The problem afterwards being one of aesthetics. I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I kept playing games that were obviously designed with children in mind. The main characters themselves were always children. The Final Fantasy series and others made a turn into a less childish aesthetics later down the line... but even then no sense in being drawn by it if you are an adult. By then the characters were teens with teenage angst.

The latest final fantasy is apparently about a fucking jpop band or the equivalent, for instance(didn't play it, btw).

I'm not sure why the whole thing remains like it is. It is certainly not a staple of japanese pop culture aesthetics in games, being that many of the most popular japanese games have older characters and more mature aesthetics(i.e: Metal Gear series, Tekken, Souls games, you name it). Perhaps it is a genre cliché.

Because there is nothing particularly bad about japanese rpg gameplay or else really, but kiddy aesthetics ruin it for anyone who isn't a perv or has developmental issues I wager.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I kept playing games that were obviously designed with children in mind.
kiddy aesthetics ruin it for anyone who isn't a perv or has developmental issues I wager

C. S. Lewis said:
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.

When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

If something is good, then it's silly for someone to be ashamed for enjoying it.

Barbarian

Arcane
Whatever floats your boat bro. For the record I have never managed to enjoy the Narnia series for exactly the same reason, so I suppose it is a convenient reply.

Delphik

ITT, my shitty take on jrpgs:

They were great when I was a kid... maybe until my late teens. I had a lot of fun playing Chrono Cross at release and then discovering Chrono Thriger for instance. Ditto for Final Fantasy series and others.

The problem afterwards being one of aesthetics. I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I kept playing games that were obviously designed with children in mind. The main characters themselves were always children. The Final Fantasy series and others made a turn into a less childish aesthetics later down the line... but even then no sense in being drawn by it if you are an adult. By then the characters were teens with teenage angst.

The latest final fantasy is apparently about a fucking jpop band or the equivalent, for instance(didn't play it, btw).

I'm not sure why the whole thing remains like it is. It is certainly not a staple of japanese pop culture aesthetics in games, being that many of the most popular japanese games have older characters and more mature aesthetics(i.e: Metal Gear series, Tekken, Souls games, you name it). Perhaps it is a genre cliché.

Because there is nothing particularly bad about japanese rpg gameplay or else really, but kiddy aesthetics ruin it for anyone who isn't a perv or has developmental issues I wager.

JRPGs are a power fantasy designed to give children the feeling of having achieved something, there's a reason most of them are designed with popping huge numbers in your screen and spamming graphical effects when you do the most basic attack.

Crashman

Novice
FDk00UZVEAcWrqf.jpg:large

Everyone arguing in this topic, everyone who voted.

laclongquan

Arcane
Sengoku Rance #1

:what:

Codex either doesn't really give a fuck about JRPGs or it has shit taste. Maybe both.
You sounds exactly like a outsider wonder why a 199x game stand at 1st spot in Top 75 RPG of all time.

Aka you dont know anything about Codex taste~

Prefer some conformist's view on game, maybe? That aint popular around here

Last edited:

turkishronin

Arcane
Friendly reminder that if you've played Dragon Quest in English you haven't actually played Dragon Quest, but a ridiculous fanfiction.
Why?
Probably some autistic sperg about character names not correctly translated or such dumb shit

Just one example, which is one of the milder ones, there's a village in DQXI where the entire village speaks in haiku(literally every single NPC) while in the Japanese script they just speak normally. Square Enix deliberately asks the localization team to change every line of dialogue in creative ways thinking it will cause it to sell more in US if it's quirky. I'm not even going to talk about the cockney shitter slang all over the game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom