Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 55 JRPGs

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Incidentally, this graphic displays the top 20 JRPGs from the first poll:

h91ik8.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Man, Dragon Quest 1 hit dead last in the DQ section. Apparantly quitting after finishing 2 was a bad place to stop.

TwoEdge

Scholar
DQ1 is only important because it's seminal, the series gets way better with each iteration.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm glad to see Sengoku Rance on the top of the list. That game is addictive. I made the mistake of starting it up again this last summer and next thing I knew I was playing it constantly for another couple of weeks. I must have sunk 100s of hours into that game.

A small gripe, but I would consider Sengoku Rance an SRPG, yet it didn't make the SRPG listing in the sub-genre lists.

I'm also glad to see Romance of the Three Kingdoms X and XII on the list. Another gem with a ton of replay value that I spent a lot of time on.

somerandomdude

Learned
There was one thing I remember about Terranigma (vaguely) that I take issue with.
There was this town where you had to cast a vote for which direction you thought they should go, and the choice was basically between liberalism vs conservatism, and if you didn't pick liberalism, you actually got penalized because the city didn't grow and you'd miss out on a little bit of content. It would have been fairer had it grown in 2 separate ways, with different benefits.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Looks like I missed this. Can't say I agree with most of the top ten, but at least I learnt of Sengoku Rance. Looks like an interesting game. And at least Chrono Fucking Trigger or Final Fantasy 4 isn't in the top 10

Gastrick

Cipher
Also, what about Shadow Tower: Abyss? It got a fan translation, and I thought it was a pretty solid king's field-like, also made by From Software.
It had a pretty high average, but not enough people played it so it didn't make the list.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE AGAINST MY VAGRANT STORY? HUH?
Loading times of 3-4 seconds every time you load up the menu in a very menu-heavy game.
PSP version fixed that I think.

Garbage elitist/hipster list that puts obscure games over more popular/mainstream ones just to feel smug/superior. It’s objectively wrong not to have Final Fantasy VII or X in the top 55. There aren’t 55 jrpg’s better than those.

Sengoku Rance at #1 is a pure autism take.

Also no Legend of Mana or Chrono Cross. And finally, no King’s Field is the biggest indicator that this is trash tier.
Legend of Mana sure. FF7? Overrated.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
This needs to propagate more online just for the outrage of people seeing Chrono Trigger placed at #51. Imagine the clicks.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I personally approve of whatever methodology was used to land Terranigma in its rightful place.
I was wondering that myself, except the rightful part.

Terranigma is a fine game, but... 2nd best JRPG of all time? Eh?? I wouldn't even put it in a top 20 list. The music is nice, and it's a novel story, but the gameplay is quite basic.

Garbage elitist/hipster list that puts obscure games over more popular/mainstream ones just to feel smug/superior. It’s objectively wrong not to have Final Fantasy VII or X in the top 55. There aren’t 55 jrpg’s better than those.

Sengoku Rance at #1 is a pure autism take.

Also no Legend of Mana or Chrono Cross. And finally, no King’s Field is the biggest indicator that this is trash tier.

Definitely agree with the first statement and the second. Chrono Cross is a big whiff (44 playable characters and maybe ten of them aren't walking tropes, jokes, or deformed freaks), Legend of Mana is a tedious button masher with zero challenge, and while I love King's Field its a super niche game by any standard.

Overall the list uses some bizarre methodology. How many people here even played Shining Force 3? Or Panzer Dragoon Saga? Dark Spire is #14, rated higher than Etrian games or a million better Wizardry clones... FFS show me your DS, R4 cards, or your Citra emulators, I want to know if you actually finished that game. Unlimited SaGa is considered bad even by SaGa fans. Large number of games got limited or no western release, requiring fan patches and emulators. Ys 3 or Fire Emblem Thracia? Loool okay guys. Radiant Historia and Lost Odyssey are bland, coma-inducing snores.

First normal game on the list is Phantasy Star 4. Great title, yes, but too little too late, another game that hardly anyone played, and not responsible for defining a genre (DQ) or exploding its popularity (FF).

Humanophage

Arcane
This needs to propagate more online just for the outrage of people seeing Chrono Trigger placed at #51. Imagine the clicks.
Although I am theoretically interested in any tops even for car racing games, I worry that having a prominent top of JRPGs might attract JRPG fans to the website. This is extremely dangerous to our democracy.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Codex is full of dumb hipsters who down voted it into oblivion.

I'm surprised it was even published. A lot of games only have about 5-10 or so votes. Nobody knew about or voted in the poll.

There's also the issue of calling Dark Souls an action game with RPG elements, but ignoring Secret of Mana series, which are exactly the same from a gameplay perspective. Player controlled movement and swinging of weapons. With levels ups and stats affecting damage done. There's just no consistency when it comes to judgment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom