Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Piranha Bytes has shut down, Bjorn and Jenny Pankratz found new company Pithead Studio

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Pithead Studio

https://www.cdaction.pl/newsy/piran...nd-of-the-studio-behind-gothic-risen-and-elex

CD-Action source (a Piranha Bytes employee, with whom we had been in contact since the first information about the studio's crisis situation) informed us, that the company responsible for the creation of Gothic ceased operations at the end of June.

The crisis had been going on for a long time, but from time to time investors appeared on the horizon interested in helping the studio continue its operations. According to the information provided to us, the project was expected to be financed in the amount of 3 million euros. After all, Piranha Bytes remained one of the most popular game developers in Germany. Unfortunately, in the end, Piranha was not bought out, and the financing from Embracer let them operate only until June 2024. In the meantime, many employees had left to the company, opting for more secure employment. A few days before the material was published, the company's office looked like this:

Our source told us, that - after the possible buyout - Piranha Bytes planned to set a new direction, in contrast to the last games created under the command of Bjorn Pankratz (who, together with his wife, left Piranha Bytes in November last year and today announced the founding of the Pithead studio), i.e. the Elex series, and to create a new dark fantasy game on Unreal Engine 5. The new game was supposed to resemble Gothic, to which Piranha Bytes did not have the rights. In December, the lighting and animations were further refined, which, according to the informant, had previously been the cause of considerable criticism from players.

The last CEO of Piranha Bytes was Michael Rueve. At this point, he has not commented on the fate of the company, but according to our information, the studio will most likely not make any official statements, allowing itself to leave peacefully and quietly.​

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
44863d23011cac91f21c2a621cbb96f9--funny-memes-funny-shit.jpg

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Infinitron please take this "ö" and kindly correct "Bjorn" to the correct "Björn".

On topic: Even though PB has been washed up for more than a decade, it's still sad to see them go. I have little hope in Pithead studios as I don't think that Björn and Jenny Pankratz understand what made Gothic 1 and 2 so great.

Lexx

Cipher
I have little hope in Pithead studios as I don't think that Björn and Jenny Pankratz understand what made Gothic 1 and 2 so great.
Does it even matter? Based on their video they want to make "indie games" - so stuff like Gothic is likely outside of the budget range anyways.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
I have little hope in Pithead studios as I don't think that Björn and Jenny Pankratz understand what made Gothic 1 and 2 so great.
Does it even matter? Based on their video they want to make "indie games" - so stuff like Gothic is likely outside of the budget range anyways.
True, let me rephrase this: I have seen no evidence that either of them can design a great game. Maybe they will prove me wrong with some clever indie game, though.

deuxhero

Arcane
It's a shame they shut down without releasing the Gothic/Gothic 2 source code, since they still had it and it was all in house.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Infinitron please take this "ö" and kindly correct "Bjorn" to the correct "Björn".

On topic: Even though PB has been washed up for more than a decade, it's still sad to see them go. I have little hope in Pithead studios as I don't think that Björn and Jenny Pankratz understand what made Gothic 1 and 2 so great.
what made them great?

Tavar

Cipher
Patron

what made them great?
An organic open world filled with handmade content combined with a great sense of progression. Both of these elements are completely absent in a game like Risen 3 with its disjointed world and piss easy gameplay.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
WTF didn't they get loads of money from German government?

How can you be simultaneously welfare abuser, well paid company, and bankrupt company without future?

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Expecting <insert random 'legendary' dev from 20-40 years ago> to make the same games is just not gonna happen.

They're not the same as they were 20-40 years ago.
The circumstances are not the same as they were 20-40 years ago.
Also, *you* experiencing their new game are not the same you were 20-40 years ago.

It's the same thing with bands, authors, any artist, and everything, really. Things have their golden period, then they plateau, and there's only one way from there. Nothing is static, nothing is constant. Most people's dissatisfaction with, well, most things in life, stems from this basic misunderstanding of this fundamental aspect of the nature of reality.

Most bands have their good 5 years (max), then several decades of decline after that until they stop for good. They probably just want to milk their past successes as much as possible because it beats doing any other random job, and who can fault them. Same thing happened with PB, although ELEX was quite a nice "comeback". But they have served their purpose, so it was probably time for them to stop already.

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
WTF didn't they get loads of money from German government?

How can you be simultaneously welfare abuser, well paid company, and bankrupt company without future?
They received 3.17 million Euros in May 2023 for their next game which was supposed to be published in 2026. This was supposed to cover 25% of the game's total budget. Piranha Bytes had 35 employees at that point in time. So, if we assume a very modest annual salary of 50,000 Euros per employee, this would keep them afloat for less than two years. And this assumes that Embracer actually let them keep the money rather than using it themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom