Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bioware goes episodic

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

<a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>CVG</a> reports that Bioware will embrace the new <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=155730>pay-for-extra-content-that-should-have-been-in-the-fucking-game</a> philosophy and "big plans" are, well, being planned.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote> It's already know that BioWare is to release episodic content for its forthcoming Xbox 360 game Mass Effect, but the developer has now revealed it's expanding episodic release plans to cover additional projects.
<br>
<br>
"...we have big plans afoot at BioWare for post-release and episodic content for upcoming cool BioWare games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire: Special Edition and other upcoming BioWare titles, both on console and PC", BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka divulged in an interview with CVG which we'll be publishing shortly.
<br>
<br>
Speaking further about online initiatives, Muzyka said, "There have been a lot of innovations in the PC space in online games - World of Warcraft and other MMOs continue to expand the business and we're excited about joining that world ourselves with the upcoming title we're developing down with our great team at BioWare Austin [BioWare's in-development MMORPG] - and digital distribution and episodic content".</blockquote>:salute:
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good for them. They have every right to seel products any wya they wish. Just like I have the right to not buy them. R00fles!

No need to cry about it, Oh Whiny One.

"pay-for-extra-content-that-should-have-been-in-the-fucking-game"

Bullshit. 'Should' is retarded. The onlt thing that 'should' be in a agme is what the developers/publishers decide is in the game. Moron.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Good for them. They have every right to seel products any wya they wish. Just like I have the right to not buy them. R00fles!

No need to cry about it, Oh Whiny One.
Cry? I even saluted their noble efforts to bring innovation to us (for a purely symbolic fee, of course).

"pay-for-extra-content-that-should-have-been-in-the-fucking-game"

Bullshit. 'Should' is retarded. The onlt thing that 'should' be in a agme is what the developers/publishers decide is in the game. Moron.
Tell me, Volly, are you pretty when you are angry? Anyway...

There is already a word for extra content players pay for - expansion. Anything else is the equivalent of the infamous Horse Armor. Obsidian should probably release KOTOR 2 ending for 10 bucks too.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Cry? I even saluted their noble efforts to bring innovation to us (for a purely symbolic fee, of course)."

Huhuh. I may be many negative things; but unlike some; I can smell sarcasm quite easily.

"There is already a word for extra content players pay for - expansion. "

Nope. Doens't have to pay. btw, BIO has alreayd released episdoic content on line that player shave to pay for. And, they did it well before Oblivion. They're called Premium modules. Dumbass. In fact, IIRC, the Codex while not fans of NWN, were actually not against the idea either.

I agree if BIO simply releases the equivelnat of $5 horse armour mods then we should make fun of them. However, here's another plan: If they do that, don't buy the stuff whether you like the main game or not. Hell, I ahven't even bought any PM for NWN other than the ones on CD and we know how much I love NWN.

Use your common sense. Then again, that's lacking on the Codex and on the internets as a whole.

Don't like a product a company is selling; don't fuckin' buy it!!!

Texas Red

Whiner
So this is now a standard? Well, fuck them and their scams. They didnt require these fees to function a year ago and now suddenly with a hugely inscreased market, I predict, every publisher and developer will start lying and making up excuses. Whatever, only idiots will actually buy them. Right now it seems that torrents are holier ten times and the gaming industry.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
I think that we've been pretty reasonable with the episodic content we've charged for to this point (for NWN, I mean), giving the player some bang for his buck. I don't really see us putting out horse armor or anything like that, but some people will always treat content created post-release as "should have been in the game to begin with". I guess it will depend on how satisfied people are with the core game once it comes out.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"They didnt require these fees to function a year ago"

Huh? Again, BIO has been releaisng 'episodic content' for YEARS now for NWN. Well, before Oblivion did it. They're just called Premium Modules. Why are you morons forgetting thatr?

And, none of the PM though I didn't buy them, were even close to the equivelant of 'horse armour'.

L0LLERZ!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Nope. Doens't have to pay. btw, BIO has alreayd released episdoic content on line that player shave to pay for. And, they did it well before Oblivion. They're called Premium modules. Dumbass. In fact, IIRC, the Codex while not fans of NWN, were actually not against the idea either.
If PM is a fancy next-gen term for expansion, then, yeah, sure, great idea. If it's a little shitty module inspired by Bethesda's success...

Use your common sense. Then again, that's lacking on the Codex and on the internets as a whole.
Common sense is overrated. I mean, look at you. Zero common sense, and yet it doesn't bother you at all.

Don't like a product a company is selling; don't fuckin' buy it!!!
By your own logic, don't like a newspost, don't fucking comment on it!!! However, commenting on things is natural, which is why I don't hold it against you, expecting the same courtesy in return.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"If PM is a fancy next-gen term for expansion, then, yeah, sure, great idea. If it's a little shitty module inspired by Bethesda's success..."

Yeah. Premium modules are inspired by Bethesda's success in spite of the fact they were being released by BIO prior to Oblivion. Idiot.

"Common sense is overrated. I mean, look at you. Zero common sense, and yet it doesn't bother you at all."

I, apparantly, have more than you.

"your own logic, don't like a newspost, don't fucking comment on it!!! However, commenting on things is natural, which is why I don't hold it against you, expecting the same courtesy in return."

Your logic here is retarded. Commenting on soemthing I disagree with like a newspost is far different than whiny about a game announcement or worse purchasing something one hates. ie. The Codexers like you bitching about Oblivion ebfore it was even released yet still buying it. That's a lack of common sense. L0L

Texas Red

Whiner
Dgaider said:
I think that we've been pretty reasonable with the episodic content we've charged for to this point (for NWN, I mean), giving the player some bang for his buck. I don't really see us putting out horse armor or anything like that, but some people will always treat content created post-release as "should have been in the game to begin with". I guess it will depend on how satisfied people are with the core game once it comes out.

If you release premium modules or something similar, fine. If you are going the Bethesda way and offer a nekst generashyon sword that scales to your level, dont start crying when piracy spreads up your asses. If somebody decides to download horse armor, whats stopping him from later on getting the full expansion? No doubt the clueless will soon learn about torrents with the uproar on the forums as well.

EDIT: Volourn, do you have a sense of right and wrong?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dgaider said:
Fair enough, Dave. A great guy like you always deserves benefits of the doubt and other cool shit. So, hypothetically speaking, of course, what kind of episodic content one might expect for a game like Dragon Age?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"dont start crying when piracy spreads up your asses."

Theft is immoral. And, not liking a company selling a certain product is not a good enough excuse to do it.

You fuckin' piece of fuckin' shit... a-oking theft just because you don't like soemthing.

Dob't fuckin' like it, don't fuckin' buy it.

Or download it.

Or steal it.

Moron.

"Volourn, do you have a sense of right and wrong?"

L0L This coming from a punk who supports theft. :roll:

Higher Game

Arcane
Episodic content has replaced expansion packs. No one ever complained that expansion packs should have been in the original game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
There's nothing wrong with episodic content per se. If the term is so broad it includes stuff like NWN premium modules - which no one complained about not being in the game first of all - it can also include "real" expansions. Hell, even a whole series of games (like the Gothics eg) could be called "episodic content". The fact that both horse armor and e.g. the Kingmaker module for NWN are called "episodic content" shows that we really need much context before we pass our judgment. And if the context is Mass Effect, I'm not really interested because, first of all, console gaming is horribly expensive. (And what I've seen about the game was gay, but I haven't seen much.)

I prefer the new Sam and Max game to go episodic and thus finance itself, if it's the only way to get it...

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
So, hypothetically speaking, of course, what kind of episodic content one might expect for a game like Dragon Age?
It's a bit early to say for sure. I suspect it would be on the level of a self-contained chapter or adventure -- not a single quest, but more like a module. But that's just speculation on my part. The big difference between the downloadable content and a commercial expansion, as I see it, is the size and the amount of time it takes to get out.

We can make an expansion that takes 6 months to a year to put out, and while that has a lot of content all at once it might not get out while the game is still on a lot of people's hard drives. Making the contect smaller (and thus cheaper) means it can come out more quickly and more regularly. As long as the price is comparitively reasonable and we're offering something decent, I'm not sure I see a problem with it. If we did put out uber-items or mini-quests or something just to capitalize on a successful game -- yeah, I do see how that would seem pretty opportunistic. If we do that, we'll deserve whatever reaction awaits, I suppose.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"If PM is a fancy next-gen term for expansion, then, yeah, sure, great idea. If it's a little shitty module inspired by Bethesda's success..."

Yeah. Premium modules are inspired by Bethesda's success in spite of the fact they were being released by BIO prior to Oblivion. Idiot.
Learn. To. Read. Dumb. Ass.

"Common sense is overrated. I mean, look at you. Zero common sense, and yet it doesn't bother you at all."

I, apparantly, have more than you.
Of course you do.

The Codexers like you bitching about Oblivion ebfore it was even released yet still buying it. That's a lack of common sense. L0L
A mistake many people won't make again. They knew that Oblivion will be a shitty RPG, but they hoped that it would be a decent action game.

peak

Scholar
Premium Modules are fine, if they're any good and reasonably priced. That's not a bad thing, if the vanilla game still offers great value. Just stay out of the stupid mini-transactions-system and you will be fine.

And don't pull a Valve on us, splitting an expansion in three parts and charging full expansion-price for every part. That was just stupid, and it has worked out precisely that way.

Edit:
Dgaider said:
It's a bit early to say for sure. I suspect it would be on the level of a self-contained chapter or adventure -- not a single quest, but more like a module. But that's just speculation on my part. The big difference between the downloadable content and a commercial expansion, as I see it, is the size and the amount of time it takes to get out.

We can make an expansion that takes 6 months to a year to put out, and while that has a lot of content all at once it might not get out while the game is still on a lot of people's hard drives. Making the contect smaller (and thus cheaper) means it can come out more quickly and more regularly. As long as the price is comparitively reasonable and we're offering something decent, I'm not sure I see a problem with it. If we did put out uber-items or mini-quests or something just to capitalize on a successful game -- yeah, I do see how that would seem pretty opportunistic. If we do that, we'll deserve whatever reaction awaits, I suppose.

Could work fine.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dgaider said:

Makes sense, of course.

Now, hypothetically speaking again, wouldn't you agree that such a business model promotes and even invites developer to do a bit less and sell what could have been, otherwise, included in the game for free? This approach might lead to shipping the bare minimum in a box and selling extras on-line. In other words, the extra content will greatly expand the overall content, but most likely reduce what you purchase originally.

If I have to guess most people will prefer a quality expansion, even if it's a bit short, than a few extra quests. However, I can easily see how selling a few modules on-line might be more profitable than selling an expansion box in stores.

geminito

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Volourn said:
A mistake many people won't make again. They knew that Oblivion will be a shitty RPG, but they hoped that it would be a decent action game.

Why do you keep making up shit? Your opinion is unsurprising and doesn't represent most people in the universe. You enjoy bitching and moaning, we get it. And your stab at Oblivion is off topic.

Episodic content is great. New content in smaller doses, more frequent, and cheaper than a $49.95 expansion pack ripoff.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What $49.95 expansion pack ripoff? Anyway, such approach encourages splitting a single $30 expansion into five $10 modules. We'll see...

Vault Dweller

Developer
geminito said:
Why do you keep making up shit? Your opinion is unsurprising and doesn't represent most people in the universe.
But your opinion does, right?

You enjoy bitching and moaning, we get it.
Unlike you who comes here to spread positive messages.

And your stab at Oblivion is off topic.
I replied to Volourn, so some reading lessons might be in order for you.

Episodic content is great. New content in smaller doses, more frequent, and cheaper than a $49.95 expansion pack ripoff.
Thank you for sharing your opinion with us.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Now, hypothetically speaking again, wouldn't you agree that such a business model promotes and even invites developer to do a bit less and sell what could have been, otherwise, included in the game for free?
I'm not sure. That seems a bit cynical, but sometimes I wonder the same thing about patches -- as in does the ability to patch games make PC games more likely to be released buggy, and is that done on purpose? Sometimes it certainly seems so, doesn't it? I guess in the end it will depend on what people are willing to pay for. If there's no demand for something it won't exist, after all, and if a million people really are prepared to pay for horse armor it's a bit difficult to argue against.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Dgaider said:
Vault Dweller said:
I guess in the end it will depend on what people are willing to pay for. If there's no demand for something it won't exist, after all, and if a million people really are prepared to pay for horse armor it's a bit difficult to argue against.

That is the reason western civilization is coming to an end.

... OMFG I'm finally infected with the Codex Virus of Cynicism +4

BTW: I disdain any form of online contend that is not sold in a box afterwards. So I bought KINGMAKER after it was released boxed. I'd love to play WYVERN CROWN OF CORMYR or PIRATES OF THE SWORD COAST but I just can't as long as it isn't released in a box.

To cut a long story short: I don't mind digital distribution of episodic content as long it is later released in a pretty box for my collection.

bye

doctor_kaz

Scholar
I'm not really excited about this. I'd much rather see full on expansion packs than episodic content. Shadowguard and Witch's Wake are prime examples of why. Both are basically chapter 1 of unfinished stories. RPG's don't lend themselves very well to episodic gaming. It severely limits what can be done when it comes to open-endedness and story. Episodic gaming ensures that the player can't experience the story at his own pace like Fallout or Baldurs Gate. This isn't a problem for a genre where the games are already totally linear, but it's a problem for RPG's. Ideally, I'd love to see the follow-up material for Dragon Age to include one or two big expansion packs that retail for full price, mixed in with little $10 or less modules. If all we see are little modules or, worse yet, microtransactions like paying for a +5 sword, I will be severely disappointed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom