Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo 3's colour scheme is here to stay, says Blizzard

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Diablo III

<a href="http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/31/diablo-iii-designer-talks-colors/">In an interview with MTV Player</a>, Blizzard talk about Diablo 3's lack of grit in the art department:
<br>
<blockquote>“There’s no going back now,” he said during an interview in a Manhattan hotel where Blizzard was showcasing their newest games. “We’re very happy with how the art style is. The art team’s happy. The company’s happy. We really like this art style, and we’re not changing it.”
<br>
<br>
But fans take note: The decision to add color to the macabre world of “Diablo” didn’t come lightly. “It’s actually the thing we struggled with the most,” Wilson said. When Wilson joined the project two and-a-half years ago, the game was similar-looking to what fans of the old games might expect — darker, desaturated and a lot of brown and gray tones. However, translating the game from 2D to 3D with a dark color palette didn’t make for the best gameplay experience. The first and second iterations of the art direction had a “modern, gritty look” but made it difficult to distinguish enemies from the environment. “When you have 30 creatures on screen — and four or five different types — target prioritization is a factor,” he said. “You need to be able to tell those things apart fast, and you can’t do that when your world is gray and your creatures are gray.”</blockquote>
<br>
So I assume the gray world with coloured monsters didn't work out?
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Dandelion</b>!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now, let's get this straight:
Boyarsky is working on this game. He's lead world designer. There are some good ideas about making the game more story-driven. There are some great ideas about adding more random content. The trailer looks like it's the most fun Diablo-clone since Diablo 2. And people complain about the fucking colors?

Yes, I understand why. But still, geez, as if color is the most important thing ever. I don't give a fuck as long as the gameplay rocks.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
JarlFrank said:
Boyarsky is working on this game. He's lead world designer. There are some good ideas about making the game more story-driven. There are some great ideas about adding more random content. The trailer looks like it's the most fun Diablo-clone since Diablo 2. And people complain about the fucking colors?

Take it as a good sign. If there would be more important things to complain about, people would most likely complain about them.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Maybe releasing a screenshot full of impaled bodies and pools of blood in a dark dungeon might help with gaining the support of the fans.

I suppose the game right now doesn't feel oppressive enough. Maybe the atmosphere gets better as you move on and the presence of evil becomes stronger. World's had a 20 year lapse to recover, which is why everything looks calm and peaceful?

Xerxos

Novice
JarlFrank said:
[...]But still, geez, as if color is the most important thing ever. I don't give a fuck as long as the gameplay rocks.
QFT

My favorite dungeon crawler is monochrome.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That thread is in General RPG Discussion. This here is *news*. Fuck off if you don't get the difference.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Who the fuck is this humongous cockgagging fag to tell us to lock a fucking thread? Fuck off you fucking homo before I stab your eyes out with my massive meat silo.

J1M

Arcane
Major_Blackhart said:
Who the fuck is this humongous cockgagging fag to tell us to lock a fucking thread? Fuck off you fucking homo before I stab your eyes out with my massive meat silo.
Interesting. You conjured me into your world otherwise consisting entirely of fantasy.

Black

Arcane
I can't believe that when bethesda is raping Fallout in every possible way people bitch about D3's colours.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Do you want more FO3 topics?
And it's not a bitching about the colours but about the graphical style. There is a difference.

And well at least with all other improvements like Boyarsky D3 will have a chance to finally be fun in single player.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
J1M said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Interesting. You conjured me into your world otherwise consisting entirely of fantasy.

Who the fuck are you to say lock a fucking thread? Go back to your gay little community forums where the mods do that when someone asks because it's gone off topic or because there are already like two others.
This is the motherfucking Codex. Welcome.

Dandelion

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
But fans take note: The decision to add color to the macabre world of “Diablo” didn’t come lightly. “It’s actually the thing we struggled with the most,” Wilson said. When Wilson joined the project two and-a-half years ago, the game was similar-looking to what fans of the old games might expect — darker, desaturated and a lot of brown and gray tones. However, translating the game from 2D to 3D with a dark color palette didn’t make for the best gameplay experience. The first and second iterations of the art direction had a “modern, gritty look” but made it difficult to distinguish enemies from the environment. “When you have 30 creatures on screen — and four or five different types — target prioritization is a factor,” he said. “You need to be able to tell those things apart fast, and you can’t do that when your world is gray and your creatures are gray.”
Bullshits.
In a screen like this one, you can't distinguish the creatures on the right side?
1214657022122wu5.jpg

wtf is he talking about?

Ok, this isn't everything, but when you choose to trow away the dark and macabre atmosphere of DI and DII you must understand you're ruining half of its "beauty" (and oc 90% of its atmosphere)..

2008_07_05_world.jpg

PS: the <a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html">text</a> of the petition

Whatever, it looks decent enough in motion. Gameplay seems as fun and mindless as ever, I liked the music which I care a lot more about than graphics, anyway. Beloved Diablo universe raped, indeed. Maybe if it didn't have blood or loot in it.

Azarkon

Arcane
There is a gothic grittiness to the Diablo II world that they're missing in the new one, which looks like the Warcraft art team's taken over. That said, Diablo II was ultimately about the phat lewts and experimenting with various character builds. If that focus hasn't been shifted then it'll still "feel" like Diablo. If it has been, then it's not so much a successor as it is another game set in the same universe.

J1M

Arcane
Major_Blackhart said:
J1M said:
Major_Blackhart said:

Who the fuck are you to say lock a fucking thread? Go back to your gay little community forums where the mods do that when someone asks because it's gone off topic or because there are already like two others.
This is the motherfucking Codex. Welcome.
Do all of your posts involve copious amounts of projection?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
i'm wondering if they were taking cues from the nwn/motb color schemes. i guess i'm about 50/50 on this. diablo should be darker, but i think the nwn world does a good job with keeping dark story elements using similar color schemes.

no matter what...my boner is just as strong as it was the day the news came out in comparison to the flaccid fo3 travesty which has successfully rendered my hope impotent.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'm glad. Blizzfags are some of the most retarded gamers on the planet. They whine about stupid shit all the time while ignoring actual issues with Blizzard games. Anything that makes them nerd rage is a step in the right direction.

Deacdo

Liturgist
The game looks fine, though the graphics will be badly outdated by the time it is released (should run well, at least).

Shoelip

Arbiter
Actually it was the previous Fallout's that were brown. Fallout 3 is gray.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom