Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher Scavenger Hunt - What was that all about?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher, The

There's one of those <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/768.html">internet scavenger hunts up at The Witcher</a>. If you figure out the clues you see some flash animation or something. <a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43273/The-Witcher-Rise-of-the-Wolf-Revealed">Apparently it was all about this</a>, according to ve3d:
<br>
<blockquote>CD Projekt's teasing a new announcement, but in true Internet fashion, the surprise has been ruined by a leak. In this particular case, the leak is a trailer detailing The Witcher: Rise of the Wolf, a console version of the best-selling PC action RPG.
<br>
<br>
Running on an all-new engine, Rise of the Wolf will include re-engineered assets, Sixaxis support, and a raft of other bonus goodies to satiate console gamers.</blockquote>
<br>
That's right, consolites get an all-new engine and even more bonus goodies for their Enhanced<b>²</b> Edition. You can watch the trailer <a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/39841/PC/The-Witcher/Trailer/The-Witcher-Rise-of-the-Wolf-Announcement-Trailer">at ve3d</a> or <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/292934.html">game trailers</a>.
<br>
<br>
Posted on the assumption that one day, PC gamers may get to see this even more Enhanced Edition. If they're lucky.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>pkt-zer0</b> and <b>Bloodlust</b>!

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
:lol:
I imagine how all those who only play on PC and invested time into this "internet scavenger hunt" feel.

bat_boro

Arcane
So what's the problem with console gamers getting The Witcher on their platform?
Oh, wait, let me guess... it contributes to the decline of the PC as a gaming platform and to society as a whole, right?

As far as the new engine is concearned, I'm pretty sure it's the same engine rewritten to work on consoles, with a bit of visual polish (after all, it will be more than a year since the game made it's debut on the PC)
another thing I'm pretty sure about is that it will be the same game with some bonus content and tweaked combat system to work with gamepads, and I'm pretty sure that will get The Witcher 2 some time after the console fans get their Witcher 1
So where's the problem?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
And it was then that the console haters flew into a blind rage, shouting their immense disappointment into the darkness of the night, angry at this sudden betrayal. Nineteen stories above in his pimp pad, CD Projekt's president looked down at the angry skyway on the streets below with a victorious smirk plastered across his face.

bat_boro

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
And it was then that the console haters flew into a blind rage, shouting their immense disappointment into the darkness of the night, angry at this sudden betrayal. Nineteen stories above in his pimp pad, CD Projekt's president looked down at the angry skyway on the streets below with a victorious smirk plastered across his face.

oh, how I like happy endings!

DefJam101

Arcane
Man, console players will fucking hate this game. Are they stupid or something?

It's going to be compared to Mass Effect, and it's going to be eviscerated.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I don't know. If they take the time to rework the combat engine so it's more like a third person fighter like Prince of Persia, the Witcher could work well on consoles. And the visuals are already better than Mass Effect, I wouldn't be worried there.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
If it helps them make more money, then it's good. That means they will have more security to keep making games like The Witcher.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:
If it helps them make more money, then it's good. That means they will have more security to keep making <s>games like</s> The Witcher.
Fixed. Sorry, someone had to.

Rhalle

Magister
Fat Dragon said:

We've been bamboozled.

CDProjekt just did a fucking 180, abandoned their old-school PC fanbase and EA'd themselves.

Everything else they make from now on will suffer from consoltardation.

bat_boro said:
So where's the problem?

They cannot serve god and mammon and so will choose mammon, have already chosen it.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Rhalle said:
Fat Dragon said:
CDProjekt just did a fucking 180, abandoned their old-school PC fanbase and EA'd themselves.
Correct me if I'm wrong but has CD Projekt RED ever said they plan on being a PC exclusive developer? If they haven't then I certainly wouldn't call this abandoning anybody. This sounds like the same shit I remember hearing when Bioware started developing games for consoles.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
They already said some times ago that they were looking into hitting the console market as well, while not neglecting their PC fanbase; porting The Witcher in the context makes sense.

dagorkan

Arbiter
eurotrash grafix-bitch said:
There is huge difference between the PC and um consoles and between what PC player expects and what console player expects.

We created a completely new combat system, which is more dynamic and more engaging
1/ So why don't PC players want 'dynamic and engaging' combat?

2/ If they thought the PC Witcher combat wasn't 'engaging' or 'dynamic' why did they didn't they fix it in one of their countless patches?

Also there is MOAR polygonz

Dynamic... dynamic... exciting... dynamic... moar polygonz
Basically the implication throughout this entire video is that that the the original PC Witcher was incomplete or lacking. It's either that or they're lying, that there won't be any improvements in the console version and they're just trying to sell the same shit again to a bigger market.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" And the visuals are already better than Mass Effect, I wouldn't be worried there. "

L0L

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Rhalle said:

Everything else they make from now on will suffer from consoltardation.

Well then that's their problem

bhlaab

Erudite
The game runs like an asshole ocean on my 8800 so hopefully we get some of that updated engine shit

Ryuken

Liturgist
Seems a logical move, it runs great on a high end PC so with a few tweaks it should run fine on a console as well. As it's just the same game I don't mind this until they make a Witcher 2 announcement.

It's going to be interesting to see if they're still keen on having two different flavours of the game then, that's the only thing I might be worried about as pretty much every major multiplatform RPG has made mistakes in the PC version, especially with a poor interface, more limited scope and by making things too easy.

bat_boro

Arcane
Volourn said:
" And the visuals are already better than Mass Effect, I wouldn't be worried there. "

L0L

Well, maybe not from a technical point of view, but the overall art style and "look&feel" of the game is way beyond Mass Effect, I think

Spectacle said:
I don't know. If they take the time to rework the combat engine so it's more like a third person fighter like Prince of Persia, the Witcher could work well on consoles. And the visuals are already better than Mass Effect, I wouldn't be worried there.

In fact, one of the few things that I missed in The Witcher was exactly this Prince of Persia combat style. As it is, I think it would have been much, much better to put the combat in the hands of the player and not limiting him to boring timed clicks
So if that is true, then the console version have the potential to be actually superior in comparison with the PC version

Globbi

Augur
The Witcher: Dynamic™ Edition

It is ok as long as they make the new game available to everyone who bought any of previous PC versions.

Herbert West

Arbiter
It looks like we PC elitists have some pctards among us, that could do battle with consoletards on equal terms, screaming "sellout! betrayal!" with foam streaming from their mouths and with murder in their eyes.
CDPR wants to be profitable and make more money, big fucking thing! It's the way things work, don't be a commie.

The Ticktockman

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Dicksmoker said:
If it helps them make more money, then it's good. That means they will have more security to keep making <s>games like</s> The Witcher.

DU's hatred of the Witcher patching is retarded, but this made me lol hard.

dagorkan said:
Basically the implication throughout this entire video is that that the the original PC Witcher was incomplete or lacking. It's either that or they're lying, that there won't be any improvements in the console version and they're just trying to sell the same shit again to a bigger market.

If the situation were reversed, and they were porting a console game to PC, you would be bitching if they didn't make the ported version improved over the original. This is the sort of blind rage that embarrasses the rest of the Codex.

xuerebx

Erudite
So? :shrug:

On a good note, I'd love seeing some butthurt guys who believe PCs are superior, they're superior and all that shit. BAWW.

dagorkan

Arbiter
bhlaab said:
The game runs like an asshole ocean on my 8800 so hopefully we get some of that updated engine shit
Why should you need a "high end PC" to play a fucking RPG? This is what has ruined the genre but you bitches go along with it, buying new grafix cards and hardware every two years so these developers can keep making less optimized and inferior design-wise games until nobody knows what an RPG is any more.

Herbert West said:
It looks like we PC elitists have some pctards among us, that could do battle with consoletards on equal terms, screaming "sellout! betrayal!" with foam streaming from their mouths and with murder in their eyes.
CDPR wants to be profitable and make more money, big fucking thing! It's the way things work, don't be a commie.
Yes, because companies making money is the most important thing. That's what we care about. That's why this site and this forum are called General RPG Corporate Profit Discussion. The Gameplay and Design... who cares? If they make obscene amounts of money they'll make more "RPGs" (or, now {NEXTGEN} actually just patches), so we can waste more money on progressively worse games every year.

The Ticktockman said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Dicksmoker said:

DU's hatred of the Witcher patching is retarded, but this made me lol hard.

dagorkan said:

If the situation were reversed, and they were porting a console game to PC, you would be bitching if they didn't make the ported version improved over the original. This is the sort of blind rage that embarrasses the rest of the Codex.
No I wouldn't. I have zero interest in consoles and never have. The only console games I've played have been at parties, I have used a gamepad maybe ten times in my life. So I don't care about any of that rivalry or which is better than the other, similar to how someone interested in the classical music genre wouldn't care about what's going on in the electro-punk genre or a heterosexual care about the latest trends in the gay community. I don't follow console news and don't comment on it. The only thing I care about is that one of the supposedly leading RPG developers which have made exactly one crap twitch game are revered on the RPG Codex. I was recently criticized for giving Fallout 3 a 70% rating but Bethesda at least produce something and everybody recognizes their flaws, and is aware of their hype.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom