Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

5 RPGs that defined 2009

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Overweight Manatee said:
AA 2x is pretty much required as far as I'm concerned, but going beyond that is really just meaningless techwanking. Yes, you will notice the difference between 2x and 4x if you look at side by side still photographs. You will not notice shit ingame.

AA 2x is basically doubling horizontal resolution then shrinking the image correctly. AA 4x doubles size of the image in both dimensions.

I prefer sharp images for majority of games.

So get a better monitor. 25'' with 4096x2046 is more than enough, and vastly superior to any antialiasing.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
gothfox said:
Yep. It's an architectural limitation of UE3 related to the way it does deferred rendering.
I could never understand why the architectural limitation exists in the first place. How can an engine simply be unable to support AA? The weird thing is that you can force AA in UE3 on both ATI and Nvidia cards, and while you get some glitching in most games it does work to an extent. So why is it so hard to iron out the glitches and have AA as a proper option? It's just pathetic.

bhlaab

Erudite
He never makes quite enough of an argument as to why any of these games are significant. He claims it's about significance over quality or sales, but all of his "Why it's on the list" sections directly quote from his own reviews of the games.

You'd be hard pressed to argue to me that A Farewell to Dragons is significant in any way, and he doesn't even try despite including it as an honorable mention.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Sceptic said:
gothfox said:
Yep. It's an architectural limitation of UE3 related to the way it does deferred rendering.
I could never understand why the architectural limitation exists in the first place. How can an engine simply be unable to support AA? The weird thing is that you can force AA in UE3 on both ATI and Nvidia cards, and while you get some glitching in most games it does work to an extent. So why is it so hard to iron out the glitches and have AA as a proper option? It's just pathetic.

UE3 renderer is mainly xbawks focused, so it's hardly a surprise. But yes, a major triple-ass engine without native AA support is just a fucking joke.

AA 2x is pretty much required as far as I'm concerned, but going beyond that is really just meaningless techwanking. Yes, you will notice the difference between 2x and 4x if you look at side by side still photographs. You will not notice shit ingame.

No, there is a noticeable difference between 2x,4x and 8x. Of course real SSAA rapes all of them, but it's not a realistic option for current games.

Cassidy

Arcane
mondblut said:
Malakal said:
There were FIVE rpgs in 2009? Good Lord, must have missed them!

I only recall Knights of the Chalice.

Wait, isn't Risen a real Action RPG instead of an Action game with the RPG label slapped into it by the marketing guys?

Cassidy said:
mondblut said:
Malakal said:
There were FIVE rpgs in 2009? Good Lord, must have missed them!

I only recall Knights of the Chalice.

Wait, isn't Risen a real Action RPG instead of an Action game with the RPG label slapped into it by the marketing guys?

Yes, but not under the Mondblutian school of thought. Learn your CRPG theorems will you!

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Sceptic said:
gothfox said:

As said before, the UE3 is probably the best engine for cross plattform development. You can code everything in the UDK the same and just compile it to the different plattforms. That's the reason why it is so widely spread, why there is shitty AA, and why PS3 games suck since the UE3 is optimized for the Xbawks

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
ricolikesrice said:
Jaedar said:
Borderlands is Hellgate London done right.

no, just no. Hellgate:London may have had tons of flaws but it had an interesting bare bone for a hack n slash. interesting skills, classes and especially itemization second only to D2. and unlike borderlands it could actually be challenging and required some skill to play in the proper modes.

borderlands has neither interesting classes, skills and itemization is restricted to mostly guns.

the only redeeming quality as even most of its fans admit is playing it coop with friends, but same goes for any coop game.

borderlands is a prime example how shit can be sold as gold via the proper marketing where bad marketing (hey guys, want a 150 $ lifetime subscription ?) will ruin much better (well ok, concerning HG:L this "much better" only counts in comparisision to Borderlands^^) products.

Ahh, so the bastads brainwashed me! I wasn't really enjoying my playthrough. Thanks for setting me straight :wink:

Zeros

Novice
Twinkle said:
UE3 renderer is mainly xbawks focused, so it's hardly a surprise. But yes, a major triple-ass engine without native AA support is just a fucking joke.

I think it has got to do with these newer engine's handling of pixel shader effects - they seem to easily conflict with the way aa works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom