Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dragon Age II Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Mike Laidlaw, Lead Designer on BioWare's most epic Dragon Age II, <a href="http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1031/dragon-age-ii-bioware-interview?o=0#listing" target="_blank">answers some questions</a> to NowGamer.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>We understand that Origins is actually BioWare&rsquo;s best selling game to date. Does it annoy you then that many still refer to it as a &lsquo;niche&rsquo; game?</strong><br /> Not really, since I think that Origins was a bit niche in its overall presentation. You were hit pretty early on with a lot of statistics, and I think there were number of people who were a little turned off by that element of the game. Trying to figure out if you need a high dexterity or not is a little daunting when you&rsquo;ve seen nothing of the game so far.</p>
<p>We have done a lot of work to make the entry into DA II be smoother and friendlier. You can literally start fighting within 15 seconds of pressing the start button, and then the complexity slowly unfolds, easing you into the experience over the first bits of the game. Will that make it less niche? Hard to say, but I think it&rsquo;s a better experience overall.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Trying to figure out if you need a high dexterity or not is a little daunting when you&rsquo;ve seen nothing of the game so far. </em>A<em> </em>not so subtle hint that stats won't matter? Would fit in well with the button-mashing combat system.<em></em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Gamebanshee commented:<em></em></p>
<blockquote>
<p>If it's still their best-selling game (even with Mass Effect 2's massive sales throughout the year), then I'm even more confused about their decision to change the art style, dialogue system, camera viewpoints, and character creation/advancement options, while also adding "action" to its genre label. Why mess around so much with the follow-up to your best success to date?</p>
</blockquote>
<p>One BioDoc said they need to sell 10 million units, that's why.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100339-dragon-age-ii-interview.html">GB</a></p>

Cenobyte

Prophet
You were hit pretty early on with a lot of statistics, and I think there were number of people who were a little turned off by that element of the game

So something like 4 different attributes are now "a lot of statistics"?

facepalm.jpg

Achilles

Arcane
Change your best-selling game in order for it to more closely resemble a less successful game.Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
They spent, what, seven years on DA:O? And they're churning out DA2 in one and a half. It's just good business.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"AAA" developers seem to continue to follow the idiotic view that a game can appeal to every single gamer.

Deleted member 7219

The funny thing is, Bioware are now pursuing the path of retardation while Bethesda (of all fucking companies!) are making their games more intelligent by teaming up with Obsidian. I never thought I'd even think that, much less say it.

Vibalist

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
The funny thing is, Bioware are now pursuing the path of retardation while Bethesda (of all fucking companies!) are making their games more intelligent by teaming up with Obsidian. I never thought I'd even think that, much less say it.

Both companies are just doing what works. Bioware realised how many more units they can move by making their rpg's not-rpg's, and Beth probably realised they could appeal to old FO fans and console gamers simultainously by teaming up with some Black Isle devs while fundamentally not changing the FO3 formula at all.

Just good business.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
but they can't. mass effect 2, the de-rpgized, sold much less than ME1, despite being much better imo. I doubt DA2 will sell more, or even the same as its prequel.

Vibalist

Arcane
Well, that's true. I think, then, what Bioware are aiming for here is a slam-dunk title where they can cash in quickly on the success of DA 1 without spending much time on actually making the sequel.

Thus, more profitable to go the non-rpg route and just make a quick action game marketed at the people who liked ME, while probably still selling the game to a good chunk of the DA fanbase as well.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Trying to figure out if you need a high dexterity or not is a little daunting when you’ve seen nothing of the game so far.

Exactly. It's not like You can check the manual, or there are some in-game explanations of attributes, right?

Relay

Educated
Footage from Dragon Age 3 has been leaked, here's an extract :

A5vv2.gif

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Change your best-selling game in order for it to more closely resemble a less successful game."

This myth is laughable that has no numbers to back it up except from like a month after ME2's release. ME2 and DA have sold around the same amount of units give or take a few.

"mass effect 2, the de-rpgized, sold much less than ME1"

Wow. The full of shitness continues.

Dantus12

Educated
It`s "Visceral"javascript:emoticon(':)')

I'm more and more convinced that this is going to be the most:

"awesome","bad-ass","emotionally engaging","choice driven"experience,
that every gamer that ever managed to read a page of hers/his journal has
ever experienced.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wish I could take the massive amount of people pissed off at the simplifications on the Bioware forums as meaningful. For every one of them though there are 100 people ready to buy anything with Bioware on the box.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Volourn said:
"Change your best-selling game in order for it to more closely resemble a less successful game."

This myth is laughable that has no numbers to back it up except from like a month after ME2's release. ME2 and DA have sold around the same amount of units give or take a few.

"mass effect 2, the de-rpgized, sold much less than ME1"

Wow. The full of shitness continues.

pretty-princess.gif

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Volourn said:
derp herp derp

Why do you care so much volo? Why do you take it to be your utmost formal ethical duty to correct everyone on rpgcodex about all the tiny little details they may exagerate or falsify about Bioware? Do you really worship these shitty games that much? What do they bring into your life? Meaning? Do you ever ask any questions about why you do things? Why are things the way they are? Why are you such a tard?

There is much to be done. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom