Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p class="interviewQuestion">Eurogamer had the opportunity to question CDProjekt's Tomek Gop. <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-25-the-witcher-2-were-not-afraid-of-dragon-age-interview?page=1" target="_blank">Learn that RPGs were just too fucking hardcore</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p class="interviewQuestion"><strong><span class="whoistalking">Eurogamer</span>: Dragon Age II's combat is more action-driven than the first game's, and so is The Witcher 2's. Why are role-playing games becoming more action-orientated?</strong></p>
<p class="interviewAnswer"><span class="whoistalking">Tomasz Gop</span>: You're right, but it's misleading for a lot of people. I can't say it's not true. It is true. Developers want to have more action in their games. Boring games are not good. It's not like you're changing the genre of the game. Role-playing games will not become shooters... I mean, Mass Effect was an exception. OK, we're not doing Mass Effect.</p>
<p>What I'm trying to say is a lot of things that were happening in role-playing games on a daily basis years ago are too hardcore right now. It's not like we're doing a completely different genre. This is what the role-playing game is right now.</p>
<p>The story is never dumbed down. Good role-playing games kept really good story, and you experience the story in an even deeper way than you would previously because of better graphics, direction and cut-scenes.</p>
<p>Combat is more spectacular. The means to express it is just to make it real-time. Previously combat was more turn-based. We don't have turn-based combat right now. It's a better means of expression.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Better graphics, better cutscenes = better RPG.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16226">RPGWatch</a></p>

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I am reminded of that time Yatzhee expressed his feelings on something with a rasping, gurgling sound from the back of his throat.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
VentilatorOfDoom said:
What I'm trying to say is a lot of things that were happening in role-playing games on a daily basis years ago are too hardcore right now. It's not like we're doing a completely different genre. This is what the role-playing game is right now.

noooooooo.jpg

This is just so wrong... On so many levels :x

Gop said:
What I'm trying to say is a lot of things that were happening in role-playing games on a daily basis years ago are too hardcore right now. It's not like we're doing a completely different genre. This is what the role-playing game is right now.
TBoZN.gif

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tomek Gop said:
a lot of things that were happening in role-playing games on a daily basis years ago are too hardcore right now.

What exactly was happenning in RPGs a year ago that is too fucking hardcore right now? One example. Please.

Tomek Gop said:
It's not like we're doing a completely different genre. This is what the role-playing game is right now.

'We're doing RPGs, except they lost all their defining traits by now and are not RPGs anymore.'

Tomek Gop said:
The story is never dumbed down. Good role-playing games kept really good story, and you experience the story in an even deeper way than you would previously because of better graphics, direction and cut-scenes.

I think good story is important in an RPG and can add a lot to the game. But You can say that about every gaming genre out there as well as movies, books and other entertainment media. Good story is not a defining trait for an RPG. Many classics of the genre have a very basic story. Their strengths lie elsewhere.
Action games with character customization, deep story and great cut-scenes do not automatically become RPGs.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmm, TWitcher 2 will be a write off then. Had thought naively that CDProjekt would push on in the opposite direction, but with cunts like this in charge they just want to become another Bioware.

Clicking mindlessly is a better means of expression than turn based combat? Expression of what exactly?

This Tomasz Gop is a fucking retard judging by the style as well as the content of his replies.

Dantus12

Educated
Tomasz Gop:

The story is never dumbed down. Good role-playing games kept really good story, and you experience the story in an even deeper way than you would previously because of better graphics, direction and cut-scenes.

Combat is more spectacular. The means to express it is just to make it real-time. Previously combat was more turn-based. We don't have turn-based combat right now. It's a better means of expression.

I`m the last naive person on earth. And all this frustration after discovering that I`m not going to need a new rig to run the game well.

Something bad always has to happen.

Jezal_k23

He's right, you know. If something like Fallout was released today most people's heads would explode.

Ancient

Erudite
Bullshit if game has proper tutorial and guide.Even complete morons would enjoy them.

What's so hardcore about Fallout compared to today's RPG's i don't understand.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

And he is right, games like BG, Fallout and Arcanum are today considered hardcore by both gaming journalists and majority of gamers. Most people here including me never actually considered them as hardcore games, good games but not really difficult games.

That means that majority of their customers expect fancy but ultimately easy and shitty combat, we on other hand only can hope for a good story, dialogs, quests and mods to fix the combat mechanics or atleast make them less shitty.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Ancient said:
Bullshit if game has proper tutorial and guide.Even complete morons would enjoy them.

No you are wrong. Check out the quality point by point review of why Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas round here somewhere and see that even such a modest return in the direction of old style RPG's is despised what with all the dialogue and the need for skills.

Jezal_k23

Ancient said:

That's some faith in humanity you got there.

But Fallout 3 is considered a hardcore RPG and New Vegas is far too hard.

I am shocked and horrified by this totally unexpected turn of events.

Consoles and easy to use computers. That is the real reason. These people would still be watching television if not for those two things.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Blackadder said:
I am shocked and horrified by this totally unexpected turn of events.

Consoles and easy to use computers. That is the real reason. These people would still be watching television if not for those two things.

I blame Windows! :x Let's see all these fuckers deal with Himem.sys and EMS!

Vibalist

Arcane
At least the CDProjekt guy is being honest about what direction he wants his company to go in.

The first Witcher wasn't a good game because of the combat mechanics or because it featured heaps of alternatives to combat anyway. It was an action adventure game with RPG elements and should have been branded as such, and if Witcher 2 keeps the atmosphere and feel of the first one, which is my main reason for enjoying it, then I will still buy the sequel.

Taking elements such as TB combat away from an RPG equals a lot of dumbing down. Taking the same elements away from an action adventure, not so much.

TWitcher 2 is gonna suck hard.
Get over it, fanboys.

Every new interview
Every new info
Every new gameplay video
One step
closer
to a
shitty
game

flushfire

Augur
In a few years RTWP, third-person, customizable PC, dialogue usable skills etc which still remain in today's RPGs will be considered hardcore.

The genre will be left with predefined PCs but customizable apperance, unlimited inventories and UIs with gigantic fonts and icons (or maybe no menus like in Fable 3, who knows), quest compass with on-screen reminders a la MMOs and cutscenes for dialogues. Oh, and of course multiple romance-able NPCs.

Rhalle

Magister
PotatoMan said:
Role-playing games will not become shooters... I mean, Mass Effect was an exception.

The story is never dumbed down.

The man insults ME and calls it a shooter and says that the story of W2 won't be dumbed down.

That's about as good as it's going to get in 2011, Kodex. You guys are acting like Twitcher 2 was expected to be turn-based or something.

:rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom