Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Mass Effect 2 Is Overrated

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<p>... according to Tom Chick who compiled a list, <a href="http://fidgit.com/archives/2010/12/the_ten_most_overrated_games_o.php#more" target="_blank">The ten most overrated games of 2010</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Take <em>Mass Effect</em> and strip out the RPG elements so that you're left with a not very good shooter about a whole lot of busy work, mainly involving aliens addressing their family problems, before going on a 20 minute mission to save the universe. And...scene! Also, planetary scanning. Lots of planetary scanning.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>But what about all the emotional engagement? Does that count for nothing?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#16333">RPGWatch</a></p>

Project: Eternity
Same guy, http://fidgit.com/archives/2010/01/ten_ ... _wrong.php

After the jump are the ten things (spoiler free) that killed Mass Effect 2 for me.

10) Coming out so soon after Dragon Age
Dragon Age is a tough act for any game to follow.

plasticzoomp.gif

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Dragon Age is a tough act for any game to follow. Especially a story-heavy RPG from the same developer. Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are very different approaches to the same genre, but when one of them is so richly detailed and shrewdly written, the shortcomings of the other are that much more conspicuous.
Yeah, no.

Silellak

Cipher
Choose your favorite response:

1) Why the fuck is this news?
2) Who the fuck is this guy?
3) Why the fuck do I care about the opinion of someone who thinks Bioshock 2 is fantastic and poignant?
4) Why the fuck is the Codex wasting time giving attention to this obvious attention whore? "HEY GUYS LOOK I HATED POPULAR GAMES PLEASE NOTICE MEEEEEEE"

racofer

Thread Incliner
Dragon Age is a tough act for any game to follow. Especially a story-heavy RPG from the same developer. Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are very different approaches to the same genre, but when one of them is so richly detailed and shrewdly written, the shortcomings of the other are that much more conspicuous.

Human_Tetris.gif

That's how VoD makes money, didn't you know?
Linking to IGN, Gamespot or some other shitty website while he slips pictures of George Washington into his pocket.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
SimpleComplexity said:
That's how VoD makes money, didn't you know?
Linking to IGN, Gamespot or some other shitty website while he slips pictures of George Washington into his pocket.

What I don't get is why you're making this public. Some things are confidential for a reason.

ortucis

Prophet
His Hot Pursuit review is pretty brutal and I agree with everything he said. I actually uninstalled HP and installed Burnout Paradise since it was depressing thinking about what Criterion was forced to do with NFS.. the horror.

EDIT: WTF is with GameShark's two page reviews? They were running out of virtual ink or paper? If they did this cause of ADS then it's good to know that my host file blocks are working just fine. :salute:

CrimHead

Scholar
So this is by that guy who doesn't like Deus Ex huh

*ignores article*

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://fidgit.com/archives/2010/12/the_ ... ng_gam.php also the same guy

Here are the worst games of 2010, even worse than the merely bad [...]
10) Fallout: New Vegas
I've heard it's great. I wouldn't know because it remains egregiously broken for me. Fallout: New Vegas, which I literally cannot play, is hands down the worst experience I've ever had with a console game.

Ignoring him sounds like a very rational choice.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
He's pretty controversial. I don't agree with him on many issues but on the other hand, he is pretty much the only big-name "journalist" that, even if it's very rare, swims against the stream.

Silellak said:
Why the fuck is the Codex wasting time giving attention to this obvious attention whore? "HEY GUYS LOOK I HATED POPULAR GAMES PLEASE NOTICE MEEEEEEE"

This guy is a wannabe monocled hater, but unlike the better Codexers he fails due to his inability to separate his emotional biases from his attempts at rational analysis. What we end up with is a whole lot of shit written by someone who tries to make all of his opinions more intellectual and thought provoking than they are, and failing to hide his approach of "I like this game, and here are some [pseudo-substantial] reasons why my opinion is better than yours" rather than doing the competent thing and arguing "I like the game because of the following substantial reasons:"

Simply, he wants to be an intellectual but can't let go of his obsession with himself and his preoccupation with his counter-culture stance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom