Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NON-GOG DRM Free Version of The Witcher 2 Details

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>BigDownload is <a href="http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/04/14/the-witcher-2-to-have-unlimited-installs-on-unlimited-pcs-for-no/ ">reporting the DRM that will be used for the NON-GOG versions of The Witcher 2</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>While the <a href="http://af.gog.com/tw2/?as=1649904300">GoG.com version of The Witcher 2 will still be DRM free</a>, other copies, including the retail version, of the upcoming fantasy RPG will have a DRM set-up. In a streaming press conference today, developer CD Projekt announced that they are using SecuROM for the game's DRM program However the developer also said that the game will only use the system in order to keep pirates from leaking the game before its scheduled release date of May 17.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The game will need a one-time login to the internet to start playing but will not have an "always on" set up to continue playing the game. The Witcher 2 will let PC gamers have unlimited installs on an unlimited amount of PCs and will let people play it on up to five PCs at once.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>In related news, The Witcher 2 will have an optional registration that will alert players to future patches as well as give them access to free content updates.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>You can of course get your <a href="http://af.gog.com/tw2/?as=1649904300">GOG DRM FREE Pre-Order Version here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/04/14/the-witcher-2-to-have-unlimited-installs-on-unlimited-pcs-for-no/ ">BigDownload</a></p>

Last edited by a moderator:

ortucis

Prophet
Heh...

Good Old Games: DRM is ineffective, can cause piracy

Digital Rights Management is a thorny issue among gamers, one that's likely not going away anytime soon. The chaps at Good Old Games, however, have long boasted of their DRM-free PC titles, and there's a reason for it -- the company doesn't believe in its usefulness.

"What I will say isn’t popular in the gaming industry, but in my opinion DRM drives people to pirate games rather than prevent them from doing that," said PR and marketing manager Lukasz Kukawski. "Would you rather spend $50 on a game that requires installing malware on your system, or to stay online all the time and crashes every time the connection goes down, or would you rather download a cracked version without all that hassle?

"If you see the news on gaming portals that a highly anticipated title has leaked before the release date, and you can download it from torrents without any copy protection because it has been already cracked, how can you possibly believe that DRM works in any way to reduce piracy?"

Man has a point. A very good point. While I don't blame publishers from attempting to protect their games, there has to be a better way than relying on a failing system that serves only to punish the paying consumer. That doesn't justify piracy, but it does send the message that paying consumers shouldn't support certain titles. All I know is, GOG seems to be doing just fine, so maybe the industry should take a few lessons.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Let's just hope that later they will release a patch that removes the DRM, as they did with the first Witcher.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
terastodon_1.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seems reasonable enough. Honestly, some people here are way too butthurt over DRM, not all of it is bad and this one isnt bad at all. Unless there is a hidden hook here...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Figured it would be something like this to leverage as many GoG sales as possible.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Watched the Live Video Stream Conference today what was said about the DRM.
Securom, unlimited installs, one time internet connection to activate, you are only limited to 5 pc at once (which means securom will be phoning somewhere to discover how many pcs its installed on probably the Atari servers)
Already Cancelled my premium retail version and switched to the GOG version, so i'll miss having a physical copy of the swag that comes with the retail version but i have to take a stand on this drm bullshit.

hakuroshi

Augur
I wonder if I'll still be downloading drm-free twitcher from gog servers when others finished playing and stuffed their drm-infected disk somwhere.

Ptosio

Arcane
DRM is not a problem, just buy it on gog; I'd rather take issue with a practice of cutting stuff out of the game and selling it as a DLC(ie. special finishers), that's the real decline.

Now let's flame CD-Projekt.

Ptosio

Arcane
DRM is not a problem, just buy it on gog; I'd rather take issue with a practice of cutting stuff out of the game and selling it as a DLC(ie. special finishers), that's the real decline.

kasmas

Educated
Securom ! what they are thinking?

there is no way i will ever install that shit on my pc

Lexx

Cipher
Then you buy the GOG version and don't have any Securom.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Malakal said:
Seems reasonable enough. Honestly, some people here are way too butthurt over DRM, not all of it is bad and this one isnt bad at all. Unless there is a hidden hook here...
I recently reinstalled DreamFall (a 100% legit copy), which also uses SecuRom or some similar shit containing a driver incompatible ith Windows 7 (only installed the game on Windows XP before), meaning I wasn't able to start the game, as the DRM driver failed to work and the game refused to cooperate without it.
Being slightly computer savvy I just replaced the exe with a cracked one - problem solved. But it wasted my time, and I shouldn't have had to do that in the first place.

There was also this issue with Bioshock refusing to activate at all, but that might as well have been some cosmic guardian trying to spare me the time I would waste on a shitty game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll still buy the retail version since I have some kind of inner aversion toward paying for downloads. Also I want the goodies in the box.

Antihero

Liturgist
Ulminati said:
Or you pirate it and don't have any Securom
That'll teach 'em to sell us a DRM free version available for download. OTOH, didn't they at one point mention their strategy is to send out "cough up some money now or get sued" letters to people they catch file-sharing it?

Ptosio said:

Hm. While it shouldn't make any difference in game play, I can't help but feel a little cheated there, even if as they say in their FAQ, it was otherwise going to be cut from the game. Retextured items or ones with ridiculous stats I couldn't care less about. But what are they talking about selling? A few KB of animations?

On the bright side, if you "pre-order" on GOG, you get two weeks to wait for more information to see if it's worth buying for real after the game comes out.

Bruticis

Isn't the DRM strategy typically determined by the publisher, not the developer?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Bruticis said:
Isn't the DRM strategy typically determined by the publisher, not the developer?

Who gives a shit? If it has DRM, I blame both parties. I blame the publishers for choosing it and I blame the developers for being party to it.

Bruticis

DragoFireheart said:
Bruticis said:

Who gives a shit? If it has DRM, I blame both parties. I blame the publishers for choosing it and I blame the developers for being party to it.

Sounds logical. They should just go back to putting disks in a zip-lock bag and selling them in mall kiosks and radio shack.

No, they should go back to using a simple CD/DVD check. No online component.

I am glad my Troika games didn't have this online checking rubbish, otherwise I would have to sail the seven seas in order to play them today.

Gerrard

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
"enters the battlefield" still sounds fucking retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom